Measuring Resting Heart Rate ?

rello

At risk of sounding stupid - how does one actually measure your resting heart rate ? - wear you heart rate monitor to bed??

That is one way to do it.  Other way is to be in a calm state. Lets say lie on the bed (alone withoud distractions ect) for round about 15 min, and then take your HR.  Otherwhise as soon as you wake up. 

Another way is like the medics takes a pulse for 1 min or 30 secs x2.

I actually found it best to take my resting heartrate in the evening just before I go to sleep.

Just strap your heartrate monitor on and keep still for about 10 min.

I actually found it best to take my resting heartrate in the evening just before I go to sleep.

Just strap your heartrate monitor on and keep still for about 10 min.

I agree, I'd do it in the morning, but my alarm always gives me such a fright my heart damn well races! Embarrassed

now i wonder if that should be done standing or seated . but i suppose if the colonel says you must do it then just dot it StarStarStar

Guest colonel

The pressure on your bladder will affect your HR.

Your RHR will probably be lower at the end of a day because of a number of factors including fatigue and diet. The best time is 15min after you wake up and have been to the toilet.

It doesn't really matter when you do as long as you do it consistently, i.e. at the same time, place and manner every day if you intend using it as a benchmark for anything.

Additionally, a low RHR is not an indication of much more than genetics because there are many unfit people that register in the 40's or lower but put them on a stationery trainer or treadmill and they will be at their lactate threshold within a few minutes of light exercise.

Your RHR will probably be lower at the end of a day because of a number of factors including fatigue and diet. The best time is 15min after you wake up and have been to the toilet.

It doesn't really matter when you do as long as you do it consistently' date=' i.e. at the same time, place and manner every day if you intend using it as a benchmark for anything.

Additionally, a low RHR is not an indication of much more than genetics because there are many unfit people that register in the 40's or lower but put them on a stationery trainer or treadmill and they will be at their lactate threshold within a few minutes of light exercise.
[/quote']

Yes, quite correct Sir Fed, it actually means squat and there are so many variables (as I posted on the other heart rate poll) that it will be nothing more than a nice log for your own use.

.........but if you do decide to do it, one reading is irrelevant, you need to do at least 3 and take the average.

It doesn't really matter when you do as long as you do it consistently' date=' i.e. at the same time, place and manner every day if you intend using it as a benchmark for anything.

[/quote']

It is best in the morning, but if you do decide to go to the toilet first, go back to lie down for 10 - 15 min before taking your heart rate.

Have a piss before you take it in the morning.

thats the best advice anyone has ever given on the hub....

I tried to take my HR the other morning when I woke up....I couldnt lie still because my bladder was bursting.....