Km's per chain

VO2max

How many kilos do you guys do on average per chain.

I ride Dura ace. Done now about 9000 k's. The chain seem to have some play. LBS says I need not worry, and can still do for another coupe of 1000 kilos. Either the LBS had a very good chrismas business or he is genuinly of the opinion that I still can get some Kilos out of the chain.

Can this be true that you can get so many kilos on a chain. 15000 - 20000 on a dura ace chain.. It just seem to be overstated but maybe I am conservative

My LBS recons I'll get around 8000 kays on the new chorus chain, so it sounds about right if you've looked after it well. 

I do +- 4000 km on a 10 speed Dura Ace chain but I do clean it twice a week and lube it propperly afterwards

Thats big,big,big mileage on a chain, I assume its also the 10 speed?? - which makes it more amazing.

I get roughly 3000  kms on my 10 speed Dura Ace max and its kaput.!!

I am not very technical at all but I bought one of those little chain measuring goodies (Park tools is the best and most accurate) and every now and then I just check the wear for myself, in my experience, most bike shops I know, just look at it, step back, stroke their chins,step forward pull it up and down and shoot from the hip.!!Confused - at least these little tools are sort of a reasonable guide.

Although I must confess, I dont take very good care of my chain at all, and it may get cleaned once a month at best, but even so, - 9000kms - WoW.!!

you can do many 1000s of km on 1 chain,  but you will damage alot if you dont change it offten

Stern%20Smile Have to admit to being one who measures chain life in Years... a good few years since the last time..

Although I must confess' date=' I dont take very good care of my chain at all, and it may get cleaned once a month at best, but even so, - 9000kms - WoW.!!

[/quote']

I can't believe you don't clean your chain after each ride...tsk..tsk..

Seriously though - 3000 to 5000 would be normal for 10 speed chains with reasonable care and maintenance.  Swop the cluster every second chain swop.  Those park tool chain measuring tools are also pretty useful and cheap.

Linnega,

You say swop the cassette every second chain replacement. What about the chainrings????.

I saw a very nifty device made by Ohloff that measures cassette wear. I still intend to order one someday.

Got about 3000 km on the tandem before replacing the one chain - only problem is that the timing chain (one joining stoker and pilot) is made up of 3 half bike chains. So far back chain has given me 4500km and still looking good.

I remember a post like this not to long ago, where I posted a way to measure a chain to deter the stretch the chain too.

Will see if I can find the post.  But I know if the links (a total no of them) measures more than 3 mm / 2 mm you have to replace your chain

My LBS recons I'll get around 8000 kays on the new chorus chain' date=' so it sounds about right if you've looked after it well. [/quote']

I only got about 100km on my new record chain. didnt last long at all.

Put a new one on last friday. Perhaps the first was just a dudd.