Km's per chain

VO2max

I saw a very nifty device made by Ohloff that measures cassette wear. I still intend to order one someday.

It's Rohloff, also it doesn't really matter.

you can also make a device yourself to measure the chain. either copy one of those tools to buy or build/cut yourself a device by the measurements of the chain when u bought it new.

alternatively u can pull the chain away when it's on the big blade at around 3 o clock where it's completely on the chain ring. see how far u can move it away. even though the state of your chain ring is a factor it's good to get an idea.

i've changed my chain rings very rarely. perhaps it's because i con't cycle as much as those training freaks but in my view they last many chains and cassetes. as long as the shifting goes smooth and the chain doesn't fall off it's cool. if it's too worn out it does have a negative effect on the live time of the chain.

you can only do about 3000km on a chain. if you do too much you do damage to your clusters.

Linnega' date='

You say swop the cassette every second chain replacement. What about the chainrings????.
[/quote']

I only swop chainrings when the wear is clear.  If they look like shark teeth swop them - something I have only done once on any of my bikes.

you can only do about 3000km on a chain. if you do too much you do damage to your clusters.

depending on your physics then chain may still be allright then or not. if u r light, spin up the hills it's no prob. if u r heavy and cycle with lots of force it might be worn out before u've done 1000 k's.

i'm heavy, i cycle with force. if i take a new chain and a new cassete, cycle for 800km and change the chain then the new chain jumps through.

but if i don't change it it makes way more than 3000km.

good old strong 8speed dura ace.

your guys new stuff might be different!

I'm quiet a heavy fellow and i have done about 2000 including a few rides thru Suikerbosrand, RfV and 94.7 on my 10spd dura ace chain and no problems so far.

I'm quiet a heavy fellow and i have done about 2000 including a few rides thru Suikerbosrand' date=' RfV and 94.7 on my 10spd dura ace chain and no problems so far. [/quote']

ditto!

Legend - and I thought I was the only one in SA still riding an 8 speed Dura ace groupset (12-21).

Gees, those things are indestructable... thought I'd ride it till it broke but it aint done yet, not by a long shot Thumbs%20Up.

Upgraded to 10speed Chorus just to save the knees on the climbs.

Legend - and I thought I was the only one in SA still riding an 8 speed Dura ace groupset (12-21).

Gees' date=' those things are indestructable... thought I'd ride it till it broke but it aint done yet, not by a long shot Thumbs%20Up.

Upgraded to 10speed Chorus just to save the knees on the climbs.[/quote']

just for the knees? Shocked

Wink

u right, it is indestructable!Thumbs%20Up