Time Trial Stats

Jean-Jay

Did a time trial at BikeMax last nite

It was tough, those new bikes are the bomb! Dead

But i finished strongly, so much so that i felt like i should have gone harder, although during the middle of the TT, i was struggling. I often find i have to back off the power for a bit when "my back is against the wall" and then lift it when i get "my 2nd wind" Usually the bad spell lasts for bout 20-30 secs but as a result my graph looks a little like a roller coaster. Not ideal for a TT.

My RPM was also very high (100RPM) meaning i was chucking too small a gear, but it seems that i am comfy at those high RPM these days. The only scary thing is that my HR was above 190 almost the whole way. In fact i think my max recorded last nite was 200 (30 years old) Heart attack waiting to happen LOL Dead

This is rather similar to the way i climb a hill. I ride hard to hold the pace and then pop, ease up for 20 secs, get my breathe back and put it up into the red zone again only to pop another 5 mins later if the climb is long)  and repeat process again. This seems to be working now, cos i can still stay in contact or reasonably in contact with the group going up hard climbs, was just wondering if any of you out there experiecnce similar strange bodily reactions to high intensity.

Anyway i was happy with my TT, my coach said it was a good effort - so i am happy, although i know some of you out there can definately go harder than what i did, was just wondering if your rythyms are as up and down as mine is?

Smile

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

267W

Thx CVANC.

Hey Pererace70

My wieght is 76.5kg and i think i rode +- 13.5km in the 20 mins

Not 100% sure of the exact details.

I wanted to try and average close to 300 for the duration but on those

new bikes that is very tough - i could almost do it on the older bikes.

I use to avg about 295 watts for a 20km TT on the old bikes but the new

ones "reveal the truth" - LOL

I also did a TT test at BikeMax, in September last year. I'm sure I've improved since then (it's already 4 months ago!)

My average wasn't too impressive: 205w for the 20mins & I weigh 66kg. The 'problem' with my session is that I built up my power throughout, so at the end of the session I was putting out more compared to the start, as opposed to keeping a constant, high output.

Are you talking about the Cyclops bikes? That's what I did it on.

I also did a TT test at BikeMax' date=' in September last year. I'm sure I've improved since then (it's already 4 months ago!)

My average wasn't too impressive: 205w for the 20mins & I weigh 66kg. The 'problem' with my session is that I built up my power throughout, so at the end of the session I was putting out more compared to the start, as opposed to keeping a constant, high output.

Are you talking about the Cyclops bikes? That's what I did it on.

[/quote']

Hey pererace70, yes i think it is the Cyclops bikes, the big silver ones with the small computer display on the handlebars.

Flipitt they are hard Smile

When u come from the old cardigurus bikes and u get on those ones u can immediately feel how u legs hurt and the power is alot lower, then u feel all demoralized about it but it makes u stronger thats for sure! Smile

Flip pererace70, u wiegh 66kg, man ur light, lucky bugger, but thats a good power to weight ratio for you i think. u dont need to put out as much power as me cos u weigh less than me so ur result might actually be the same as me.

How far did u manage to travel in 20 mins?

I started out very hard - as usaul - all COWBOY  typical me - guns blazing like the MARINES!!!! LOL

Was averaging over 300 for the first 5 mins then BOOM! Dead back that right off and ride civilized - then i rode within myself averaging around 280 and tried to finsh strongly but faded a bit Dead LOL

Not a useful number ... better to compare power to weight ratios. "average" cyclist ... open to interpretation.

Bottom line ... if you have a P/W ratio above 5.0 you are more likely to be on a bike at the moment in your sponsors kit than chatting on the Internet.

Bottom line ... if you have a P/W ratio above 5.0 you are more likely to be on a bike at the moment in your sponsors kit than chatting on the Internet.

I'm guessing that's sustainable power over a certain time period (e.g. 20mins)

Not a useful number ... better to compare power to weight ratios. "average" cyclist ... open to interpretation.

I'd give my left you no what for that kinda power ratio !!Confused

LOL

I think a lot of people would be somewhat disappointed in what real sustainable power output they are able to achieve!!

Still wanting to know what power you use to calc this stat and what test you do to get this power number? Anyone?

LOL

I think a lot of people would be somewhat disappointed in what real sustainable power output they are able to achieve!!

Tell me about it!!! Had my wings cliped very quickly!!!!Dead

At the end of the day, power numbers of other riders are of little or no use.  That's why I don't mind publishing mine.  I know who the guys are that win races and I know I'm not as good as them (yet!).  Your performance in racing is the only true indicator of how good a rider you are!!