Gunn Rita in Dullstroom

Man with no name

1. She did a 4-day training camp with a group from Fritz Pienaar Cycles over the past weekend. 2 days MTB and 2 days road bike.

2. Dullstroom has awesome climbs for MTB - Terry Spinman is also doing a training camp there I think in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

3. As far as road bikes go ... I have not seen too many tar roads in the area other than the main roads and personally I wouldn't dare go on them with a bike. If you looking for big climbs on roads with wide shoulders rather go ride in the triangle between Sabie, Whiteriver and Sudwala Caves.

Hope this helps.

THe best is to go as far as Graskop. Stay cheap at the Panorama restcamp and ride from there. Loads of climbs and good weather.

some dullstroom mtb routes courtesy of the spinman himself:

1. A fun route to do is head out of Dullstroom to wards Lydenberg on the tar road. Approx 8km out of town is a dirt road, look for the huge white rock. Follow this road till it meets up with the tar again, turn left and enjoy the tar downhill for approx 15km before taking the dirt road, left, back to Dullstroom. The distance is about 95km if you do the full route. The roads are fun to ride and there are some challenging hills

2. The other ride I enjoy, which is a there and back route, is out of Dullstroom towards Belfast. First dirt road left (approx 3km out of town), ride aprox 8km then take a linking road right to the Elandsfontein rd. Turn left and ride towards Machaderdorp. At the cross road (thatch Boma on your left) turn left and ride towards the tower. Just after the tower is an awesome downhill, remember you are coming back the same way so this will be a challenging up hill on the way back. You can ride all the way to the end of this road then turn back.

Personally I preferred the first route - less traffic.