Which brake pads?

AndreZA

I just want to stock up on some spares for "in case". So I want to know which brake pads are work better in the SA weather. Sintered (hard and gets hot) or Organic (softer and does not last that long. Oh btw, I'm talking about hydraulic pads.

Never ride anything other than sintered, these organic things don't last, ask anyone that rode day 1 of the Epic last year, for some or the other reason they were almost to a man riding the shyte organic pads!

yip, sintered metal pads are best for longevity and if you can find them with a aluminium backing they'll be lighter.

I think Swiss Stop uses an aluminium backing and Koolstop also.

If you're using the Shimano XT/XTR then the new M975 pads will be titanium backed

I used those resin ones last weekend in the rain at the Totalsports challenge. They were metal on metal after 15km's, and 10km of those was uphill. They are the spawn of the devil.

you're right, only product managers at the major Bike brands would do that...

the devilhas competition..

Jip, made that mistake riding the epic on resin pads, all i can say is that i now have running legs and we were begging for the uphills on stage 1......

You know, I have been preaching the gospel of sintered pads for years, why do people continue to ignore me! It's not like I'm not big enough and don't shout loud enough!

Whoa, I have never used anything but resin pads; yes they did not lat past day 1 of the epic, but then they wernt new to start with. Replaced pads on Day 2. the next big change was on the trans Baviaans, but once again the pads went new. I have just replaced the pads that i put in at the Baviaans.

Remember guys, pick your lines well and you will need to break a lot less. this also saves the trails.

I hate seeing all the dingbats come screaming into a corner dragging the rear wheel. The rider may feel Mucho, but if you are draging your wheel you have already lost tons of speed.

Dick my fine feathered friend that is no way to be conducting yourself! We had issues a little while ago when one of our members accused another of dragging the back wheel and if you are insinuating that this is what I do then we're gonna have a few more issues very shortly. I do know how to ride my bike and I tell you the sintered last alot longer! And that has beeen proven repeatedly!

Dear TightAss....oops TitusTi,Wink no offence meant at all, yes sintered pads do last a lot longer, but they do seem to have a drawback in that they are not as easy to modulate.

However regarding the dragging of the rear wheel, I was not aiming the comment at anybody in particular, just mentioning a fact based on what I see out there on the trails.

Lets face it there are times that we all do it, especially when we get too excited on an uknown track and overkook it into a turn. However there are far too many "Wheel Draggers" out there that do it becaus they think it's kool.

Now then that it's been cleared up, me thinks thou may protest just a bit too much................

I do get called Tight Ass on occasion, but that is because it is indeed quite tight! As tot the dragging thing I get hacked about that because it is a personal pet hate of mine and I do mean hate!

Have also tried both, first ever XC race (provincial at Logwood 2003) with resin pads, flippin heck I only rode 2 laps (yes they were pretty new so that clears that up!). Some may remember it was absolutely pi$$ing down, even the down singletrack was like small rivers. In fact the only race I have ever DNF'd, sintered since then, no complaints!

A question though, do you buy the original pads or OEM? Have heard that the Avid's (using Juicy 7) don't last as long as the BBB or other replacements. Don't really know since I've always ridden with the originals. Heard a rumour that some bike shops whip the originals out immediatley and replace them with the BBB's (could be a rumour or perhaps some money making - surely not!)

Cannot comment on this I've been using the Shimano's with either the original sintered's or the KoolStop's.

Can't see why they would want to remove brake pads that have already been paid for and then fit new pads at their own cost...

Rumour mill is a funny thing isn't it.

BB,

I've used the Shimano M06 Sintered metal, the M07 Resin, Koolstop for XTR, Fibrax, Swisstop and BBB and find that the Fibrax give the best overall performance.

They don;t last as long as the M06 pads but they have better modulation ie more progressive, cope with mud ok and don't cost as much as Swisstop.

However, I value longevity and reliability most so M06 for me everytime.

Koolstop is no better than the Shimano Resin pad. BBB just don't give me enough feel and they fade too quickly.