Apathy or just well paid.....?

4feet

"The fourth and final race of the Liberty Life Criterium Series which was scheduled to take place on Friday January 19th in Umhlanga has been cancelled due to an inadequate number of cyclists registering for the race" - supercycling

Surely with prize money of R100 000 up for grabs we should have been able to muster enough riders to justify a race? Maybe the Xmas bonus was good enough to just give this one a miss.....naaah, its just our national pastime creeping in......APATHY!

What a poor show. smiley19.gif

Yes, but if the entry fee is anything like it was for the Kayalitsha one in Cape Town, I can't blame the guys. R200 entry for a 45min crit!

why the pro's aren't chasing the money is beside me.

As for the vets category ...we felt it just wasn't worth the trip for a 20minute race ..., even with good prize money it still didn't balance , 3 or 5 riders , traveling, entrys, accomadationUnhappy.....But yes theres good coverage for the sponsors ..vets ...maybe 10seconds.Thumbs%20Down

It could also have something to do with the fact that the last three times that Boulevard has been used for sprint finishes (last two Tour Durban pre-event crits and a local race last September) have resulted in heavy crashes and serious injuries.