Alberton _ JHB South Riders

Slave

Fellow hubbers. I live in Alberton but have not yet hooked up with anyone for a group ride.

I have heard that guys start out from the Pick n Pay centre (where cycle hub used to be) and ride the staircase route from there.

If no objections, would love to join a group on Sat. If someone has any more details, please let me know.

18 YO son wants to ride as well.

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slave

• Cyclewizz

• Trubie

• Andyr249

Top Posters In This Topic

Just been to LBS (Cycle Hub) and found out that there are two groups that go out on Sat mornings at 7 am from intersection of Swartkoppies and Klipriver, near the Zumbug race track.

For those of you that are regulars on this one, see ya on Saturday. I'm the hooglian on the "pee-jou papnat" I mean Peugeot Rapport.

Hey Slave2Love....Yip, there is a huge bunch that meets at 7am by Xumbug there.

I won't be there this weekend but look out for the only TCS kit, it will be me.

You then have the choice to join the fast bunch, slow bunch, long distance or short distance. Just go with the flow....enjoy it.

Thanks WW.

I look forward to meeting you there sometime. Will try out this weekend with the Social bunch and see how we go.

Although I am not racing this year, I have mapped out a few routes to follow for the next three or four weeks. This weekend we will go and learn what its like to ride in a bunch and learn some useful stuff.

Must admit I was tempted to get to Nasrec at 6 and try and stay with bionic man but eish 2,5 hours to Vanderbijl. Not sure I can stay at that sort of pace yet. 

• 2 weeks later...

'k, so last weekend, teeny (teenage son) and I arrive bright and early to join the gang for a group dis-ting.

First mistake, we set off originally with the wrong group but realise this flaw very soon, so we stop, get in the second bus and off we go.

Teeny is on his chameleon, and I'm on my "papnat" (Rapport). Going around the loop, I kinda start to fall a bt back because of all the concertina playing going on in the middle of the bus. Big, mean scary looking dude drops of the front to check on his proteges and eyeballs me, "get back in the bunch, he seems to snarl at me."

"Yessssir," I quiver in my toeclips and get a hurry up. Problem is speed is now a bit faster than the bus so I fly past and zip into the front. Bigga mistaka you maka rookie, but hey, I just wait for some guys and gals to pass me and pick up the pace, hanging onto the bus. I'm thinking as we rumble along that I'm glad he didn't call me slowpoke, 'cause then I'm gonna have to tell him that it's a case of mistaken identity and that I'm just the slave and not slowpoke. Thankfully, I never got to find out if he would have klapped me off the bike if I gave him some smart answer.

We get to the end of the first leg and we stop to wait for some other dudes who fell out of the bus.

Pretty soon, we off on the next leg, up the dreaded staircase. Now, I have to say, I have done this route plenty times before but never like this. We get going and I find my way into a groove in the pack and we fly up the staircase faster than I thought it possible to get up there. Very close to the top, I drop out of the bus,only to realise that the bus is like only a third of the size.

Looking behind me, I realise that there are parts of the bus scattered over the last half the hill. I furiously pump the legs and hang on for dear life.

I managed to tay pretty close to the lead bunch and dicover why everyone loves cycling. So I had it all wrong these past ten years and only did it for the fitness. Now, I have discovered the adreneline rush to go with the endorphins. Man whatta ride. It was great.

This weekend, only I pitch. Teeny has taken his chameleon (we call it this 'cause of all the colours. Blue forks, red bike yellow tires. Looks really crappy, but hey it rides.) and is visiting buddies, girlfriends and who knows where teenagers go when they are 18?

I manage to get into the front half the bus and find that the concertina effect is far less. I also discovered during last weeks bus ride, that these dudes don't mess around with hills. They just take 'em out. Hit it hard and go like stink. I'm prepared and try to keep my pace steady.

We getto the end of the first leg and have only a short wait for the pices to catch up with the main vehicle. We're off up the staircase again and I find myself getting into that rythm I had before we stopped. Pretty soon, I'm like going faster that anyone else and out front. Mega mistaka the rookie maka. What the hell, just keep going dude. I'm out front and I plan to stay there for as long as I can.

About one-third distance, the old body is shouting abuse at me for it is in shock. The legs and lungs are yelling blue murder and the heart feels like it should be an integral part of a steam train and not in my chest. Still I hang on, The okes are behind me and chasing. Big mean dude is right behing me and I feel his breathing down my back and my breath is sawing so loudly in my chest, I can hear nothing else. Half-way up, and I'm still hanging on but fading faster than the speed of light. Two-thirds up and I am totally blown and the bus flies past me. Only a small part, but hey it's gone and I'm one of the pieces of debris that have dropped off.

Try to hang on, but the legs belong to someone else 'cause they ain't listening to me, neither s any other part of my anatomy for that matter.

I look behind and the carnage cannot be seen, the rest of the pieces of the bus are spread far down the hill. I chug along and catch up with the small nucleus of riders who past me in the last part of the hill.

I hear a comment about "someone being foolish" and leading the pack up the staircase. Right, I think. You're so right, BUT, it was such fun I couldn't help myself. I learned more in that one section of the ride than I have learned in ten years of riding by myself. It may have been the biggest mistaka I maka, leading the bunch, and it may or may not have been a breech of etiquette, but I got more out of that one effort, than anyone else in the bunch. I worked my tush (Toosh) off and found out I have reserves far bigger than I even gave myself credit for, AND, hey,I got to lead the bunch for a whole lot more than I belived possible. They struggled to pass me, and yes, in the end, they did, but did you have that much fun.

The bus is the thing for me, if I am still allowed to be in it next week. I look forward to the challeng of staying in the bus all the way and not being dropped.

Adreneline and endorphins, what a high. If only non-cyclists knew what they were missing.

Hey hey

I think this coming weekend we should introduce you to the 80km route....up walkerville hill....smiley2.gif

I should be there Saturday morning!!

Bring it on WW.

Have done the longer routes around that area. Looong time ago, but I can do it again. I do the Lido hill for fun. That and Butchers.

Great writeup Slave2love!<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Many, many years ago I used to live in Brakenhurst. As I only got into riding a bike for fitness and fun much later in life, I never rode in the area, so I was wondering where the ?Staircase? is?

Steve, the staircase is between a little place called Klip River (a siding on the railway line and there is a cafe there as well.) and Tokoza. It runs paralel to the R59 Alberton - Vereeniging Highway for a few KM.

The name is derived from the inclines, broken up by short flats, pretyy much like staris in a building. You get a series of steps, a landing and then another series of steps.

The loop we ride goes along Swartkoppies (we all meet up at the intersection of Swartkoppies and Klip River road) to The Lido Hotel, around the road which passes Allewynspoort (a 15km section of mostly flat road), over the R59 at Klip River or otherwise known as the paper mill (Sappi have a parper mill there as well) and then up the "staircase" to the bottom end of Klipriver Road.

From there we go back to the intersection of KR and Swartkoppies before we bombshell off on our various routes home.

The route give me close to 60 km and I have done it may times on my own.

Thanks Slave2love,

I know most of that route. Although the staircase does not ring a bell.

Does the road to Tokoza pass by a very old abandoned Power station? I am talking 20 years ago now, so it may have been demolished years ago. Anyway ride safe out there.

This weekly ride has become the highlight of my life at the mo'. (Yeah, I know, I have to get a real life one day, but I just can't seem to get a luck packet expensive enough to find one. Even went to Clicks the other day where they were having a special offer. I paid 50 bucks for a personality and got two good moods thrown in for free. But that's not all, I vene got to earn club points.)

Anyhoo, last weeks rode turned out to be a really funky episode. 'bout 3km from home, teeny hit a fron wheel puncture and I was not in the mood fro battling tyre liners and other such BS, so I just ripped out TL, put in spare tube and we were off like 10 day old ham.

Got to the bunch with enough time to catch a breath. The bunch set off as usual and I found a spot close to the front. One dude (still have to get to know the names) stayed out front in the absence of our usual bunch leaders and the other spot was filled and vacated by a couple of others.

For a bit this one spot stayed empty and I figured there were not takers and since you lot have taught me someetiquette, decided I would do some work at the front, so I yelled forsomespace and duly pulled into the lead. Was going great for several k's until I felt really winded, but hung on.

Soon after, someone yelled puncture from the back and the whole group broke up something akin to someone shouting "Cholera" up in Limpopo Provice. Some carried on going, and I figured a rest would be just great so several of us stopped. Man, it took so long to fix one puncture, I thought the dudes were redesigning and rebuilding the bike.

Eventually we get going and I climb in behind a rider affectionately known as Number 11. He gets this name cause it's the only gear he rides on. 11 tooth. Teeny is close behind me and we are off like 11 day old ham. After a while, I ask where the rest of the bunch is.

"Who cares" says No 11. 'K cool, we have a break away here and I'm not going to stop to wait for the rest, I'll just go with the flow. This is where it all gets funky. Teeny passes me and wheelsucks No 11, then they start talking and pretty soon, start picking up the pace. I just try to hang on gamely, but no such luck. They drop me faster than a bike jacker disappears from the scene of the crime.

After a while Teeny gets a flat (his second of the day). No way am I gonna wait eleventeen bloody hours for 'nother repair job. I grab his bike, rip off back wheel while No 11 yells ribald support and encouragement from the sidelines. (Nice having your own mechanic he tells teeny.) 

While we are busy the bunch catches up and says they will wait on the bridge. I swap out the tube, put bike together and were off,lime 12 day old ham.

Catch up with main bunch on brdge and there's no time to blow. We're outa there. Still winded I see the one who lead the pack mst of the way a bit ahead. I admit deafeat and think I'll never cacth up. (Certainly won;t with that attitude I tell myself and set off to prove me wrong).

By now we are at the bottom of the staricase and we're off. I stay in fron for a short while but slip back carefully before I pop. Hang on and get to the top very close to the back of the bunch and still withing striking disatance. The rest of the gang are spread far and wide down the hill.

What a funky ride. It all got pear shaped when we stopped for the first puncture, but it was one of the best rides I've ever had. 

Can't wait for tomorrows ride.

I keep promising myself that I will behave, not get into any histrionics or other stuff and just keep a low profile in the pack, but dam, when I get onto that bike lately, it's as if my evil twin get's on with me. I just can't help myself.  

Pity it took me so long to find out how much fun group rides can be.

hi slave2love.

like your write ups!!

i'v literally just stated riding, bought my bike this week, finally found one that fitted me, i'm 2metres tall. had to go to professional fitter to make sure bike would fir and didnt need a back transplant oonce staeted riding!smiley17.gif

anyway, i'm very new to the sport and wondered if you think a group ride is a good idea, or if should do a few rides on my own first? dont really know what my fitness level for riding is, but am fit for running and swimming. so havnt done a long ride at all!!

what distance are the rides this group does, and where, what time?

thnks

He Spa09, welcome to the hub and cycling.

Not sure where in GP you from, but if you around our area, come and join the gang, It is a social group and we have a load of fun.

Meet a Xumbug at intersection of Swartkoppies and Klipriver every Saturday and Sunday am. Social group leaves about 7am.

Sure the gang would love to have you along, but then I may be speaking out of turn. They were fairly open to my joining up a mere three or four weeks ago.

Fitness is not such a biggie. If you fall out, someone will probably drop out of the pack to stay with you.

Join us. It is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. 

Glad to see some of you enjoy this thread. Not sure if I should move it somewhere else or just keep going with it, so for now, we'll just keep it as is.

This past weekend saw Saturday dawn rather cooler than it has been, but hey, this is group ride day, the highlight of my week.

Glad to see some of the regulars back again, but still one or two missing. Andrew, who normally leads us and brings a semblance of "normality" to the group ride, is not visible. So, we set off at a nice sedate "warm-up pace" for the first few KM and as we make our first turn and pick up speed for the first time, Andrew cruises up next to me. Great to see you again, mate. We chat a bit and he moves forward.

Next turn we hit the flat section I call the Allewynspoort road and the pace picks up a bit, Andrew moves to his usual spot and all is bliss as the group is behaving today. (Translate as Slave managed to escape the evil twin today.)

Some of the fellows are chatting behind me, but mostly all I hear is the sound of the typres rolling on the road. Ever noticed this sound? Try it next time you're out there. I have just grown to love this sound. I look forward to it and it is not the same when you're out on your own. There is just something about many cycle tyres rolling and the sound of the drivetrains. Kind of like a cat purring.

We get towards the end of the flat section an one of the group I call "dreads" (largely due to his dreadlock hairstyle.) comes sailing past the group. Andrew changes down a gear and catches "dreads" within the space of 30 m. Man, this dude can ride, but then when you see the size of his legs, there is little wonder.

I have like, calf muscles, and at the risk of sounding conceipted, they are not bad (not great, but not bad.) Andrew has cow muscles or are they bull muscles. They are seriously well defined and somewhat large and they can make a bike move. You can just see the power n those legs.

We get to the bridge for a short stop for the group to regather and the wait is very short this week, just about everyone has stayed with the bunch. No slacking today so the stop is like almost non-existant.

Now comes the dreaded staircase. Today, I am determined to stay with whatever breakaway group goes and I'm ging to hang on to the top.

Riding within myself, Andrew catches up to me and says, "no-one really keen to get to the front and lead the group today." I'm not sure he isn't pulling the p!ss at me for trying this a couple of weeks earlier. Is this a loaded question, group / bunch justice or is it just an innocent statement?

Who knows? I'm not about to question his sanity either 'cause one kick from those legs, and I'll be looking for a landing spot in about two weeks time from being launched into orbit by that one kick. (Zip the lip Slave, not everyone understand that daft SOH you have.)

We hit the hills and teeny (my teenage bike detroyer) is up front with a couple of guys, including "dreads". I get in on the action and hang in there, at this stage four from the front and hang on. (Yeah, I know, I'm a wheelsucker.)

Teeny drops back a bit and  I hear some dude behind us k@kking him out but I ignore this and keep going. Teeny strips his moer and goes past back to the front and leads for a bit. "Moaner" comes past as well and we let him go. There is a nucleus of five and we are going fast. Couple o' others follow moaner but I stay with my group, that pace is just too hot on this hill, in that headwind.

The lead changes again and the pace picks up, man we are flying. I hang on with screaming legs and lungs but the objective today is to hang onto the lead bunch. Moaner and his gang are a bit ahead, and we just keep the gap constant.

Closer to the top now and the pace kicks up a bit (again). I'm still here dudes I want to shout if I can just find some breath. (Save it for the peddling dude, save it, no-one cares anyway where you are, sh!thead. Just ride and shut UP.))

We hit the top and as the road levels off, I surprise myself by still being in the nucleus which is now only four. The legs feel great so we go, teeny and I set of after the rest of the dudes, pass one, then another. Get to the bend and "moaner" is close now. Teeny takes him on the outside and I commit the cardinal sin of taking him on the inside. Now its just the two of us. Pride (arrogance, attitude, whatevvvva) will not let me slack off as I have to beat teeny. Full sprint now for a couple a hundred meters and we get to the traffic light just about neck-and-neck with yours truly earning the title of "slowpoke" for the day (again). But, what I really need to know is when did that evil twin catch up to me again. I though he stayed home.

What a ride. Andrew catches up with us as my breathing stops sawing in my chest and starts to get back to more reasonable levels. Hell, I love fitness, the recovery just keeps getting better. "You okes are all nuts, he tells us with a spark of humour in his eyes, or is that just a tiny little respect I see? Who knows, who cares? I made it my mission to stay with the lead group and get up to the top, maybe not first or second, but with the lead gang.

Mission accomplished. Maybe next week, I'll manage to escape the clutches of the twin and ride at a more reasonable pace and help out the rest of the bunch up the hill, but I somehow have grave misgivings about this.

I just love the thrill of the chase. It is such a rush.

No wonder cycling is so much fun and so addictive. The thrill of the chase, the joy of catching the lead and the exstacy of passing.

Slave2Love2008-12-15 02:56:18