Mechanical vs Hydraulic disc brakes on MTBs

drumworx

Hi everybody

This is my first post - as I have only recently decided to get into mountain biking and have been looking at a few hardtail MTB's like the Raleigh Dakar / Canyon and Giant Yukon. So hello to you all!

Some of the store guys here around Pretoria have advised me on going for Hydraulic over Mechanical discbrakes and other have advised me the other way around. Some people have advised V-brakes too.

The bikes I mentioned above are all fitted with mechanical discbrakes and mostly Deore components all-round. They also fit the size of my wallet considering I'm going to have to get the shoes, helmet, clothing etc. to go with the bike.

Any recommendations or info on the disc-brake issue would be appreciated!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know that you can get a better bike if you go for V-brakes. Theyare easier to setup and cheaper to maintain. But don't take my word for it. I'm one that refused to go V because I had to have discs. I went for Hydraulic and so far I am very happy with the rediculous stopping power.

I agree with Mampara, you will be more than happy with V brakes and can rather use the extra money on other things like upgraded components/ clothes/ shoes, etc. Deore is OK, don't go anything lower than this. Look for an air shock rather than a coil shock (in my opinion).

P.S. Hydraulic brakes will give better braking power as it increases your ability to transfer power to the brake.

On top of that, welcome! If you live in Pta or Jhb, you will find a whole bunch of MTBers to ride with!

The Minimum level of disc brake you should get is a Shimano Deore M525/M535 Hydraulic.

Cabl disc brakes are just there to create a selling point.

As mentioned by Mampara, better to get a Bike with good V's but make sure that the frame and fork can accept disc brakes. Some V-brake bikes are already fitted with hibs that can accpet disc rotors for the later conversion.

This way you can choose a great hydraulic disc brake later when you have more cash and not stuck with cheap problematic brakes which will most likely just ruin your riding enjoyment.

Thanks! This is really helpful sofar.

Basically this means that the GT Avalanche 2.0 is quite a good buy, as it has most of the recommended gear considering your advice.

I'm still gonna keep shopping around and will tell you guys what I've found Thumbs%20Up

Shopping around is an excellent idea. Also ask to try out the bike if you can as some frames will fit better than others. Look at the Raleigh, Mampara just bought and it was an excellent buy.

Also, if you have a bike to loan, Geoff has a skills clinic on Friday afternoon at Logwood where he covers what type of bike to buy, how to fit it, how to trackstand, how to corner, etc. Well worth the R200, especially as you are a group of 10 with Richard Beswick as the second instructor.

P.S. Geoff, if you're reading this, I am negotiable in terms of how you can pay me for my free recommendation!!

While Mamapra runs outside to check his bike model let me also add my 2c . If you don't go disks now it will cost you double to do it later . If you wanna just fart around on the bike Vv's are fine , if you wanna play on the bike V's are not fine .

Over and out .

The new Hope disks on our MTB tandem looks so cute and boy do they work!!!!!!!!. Have not used them in anger yet. I had Avid Arch Rivals on the tandem before.... awesome V brakes and must be the ultimate. We have XT V brakes on el rapido... our road tandem.... awesome brakes as well. The disks will still have to prove the added expense. I personally think they will not.

Disc brakes give you amazing braking power. I feel much more secure knowing I can stop at any time. But I'm still a newbie and wouldn't know how they really compare to V's. Dirt rider has much more experience falling, he's a more reliable opinion, hehehe!

smiley36.gif Thanks Mich , but it's all about personal choice . You will get a lot of people here that will swear by V's and tubes and SRAM and even Giant's smiley11.gif . But I have done the V to Disks upgrade many,many moons ago and feel qualified to comment on how @#$@#$ v's really are . smiley4.gif

Alright!

Dirt Rider, if I had to chose then between a new bike with either V's or Mech Disk brakes, what would be the best option? I understand hydraulics are the business, but I will only be able to upgrade to them later as new bikes with hydro disc brakes seem to be +- R1500 more expensive than the same bikes with mech disc brakes. And i've gotten some great quotes today to help me choose too.

Alright!

Dirt Rider' date=' if I had to chose then between a new bike with either V's or Mech Disk brakes, what would be the best option? I understand hydraulics are the business, but I will only be able to upgrade to them later as new bikes with hydro disc brakes seem to be +- R1500 more expensive than the same bikes with mech disc brakes. And i've gotten some great quotes today to help me choose too.
[/quote']

Drummy, may I call you Drummy? My Raleigh costs less then R1000 more then a GT Avalanche 1 with V brakes. Okay it is only a Raleigh but the parts on it is great.

Two of my MTB's go mechanical disks . The RM3 got some shimano disks that really works very well . Almost same power as hydro stuff . Big difference between two systems :

Cable - needs more pressure applied to lever to get same braking power as hydro

Thats about it . There is an urban legend that hydro fluid starts to boil when u use the brake to much on ur favorite downhill , but I have never seen or experienced it myself (case for mythbusters)