CAPE EPIC 2007

Hawk

So its my first Cape Epic and I must admit, I'm rather nervous about completing it.

Any advise for me and any other cyclists doing the Cape Epic this year?????

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Suck it up! Just kidding, never done it so no read advice. But from what I hear, pace yourself. Too many people go out hot and end up killing themselves. Also, take spares, especially brake pads!

And good luck! I'm training for the offchance that I get a late substitution for Sani2C, so I understand the excitement/ nervousness

Give it some time and if you are still too nervous I will take care of your entry Tongue

On a serious note, if you have done the preparation there should not be anything to worry about. Give it the knock!

Hey Fly, we are in the same boat, first timer also.

I am really looking forward to it but am also a bit nervous of not making the grade. My partner is also a first timer and we have decided to just go and enjoy the experience. Have fun and try and get through each day with the knowledge that we are threre for the experience. I dont know, but I think one of the most important things is that you and your partner are on the same wave length in terms of your expectations from the event.

Where in the WC are you, perhaps you can link up with us for a few rides.

I did the 05 Epic and was scheduled to do this year's but my new partner has postoned our ride until 08.

We plan to do a different race schedule to what we normally do.

Well, my partner is my brother. We are both first timers to the Epic. Our goal to just complete it and enjoy everyday. We've been training for the last couple of months. I live in Sea Point but we usually do our mountain biking out at Jonkershoek.  We do mainly road training but have decided that we need to start focusing more off road.

Where u from and where do u ride and how often? Tell me about your training schedule??

Sorry Fly, I meant Hawk. We are in Glenciarn so we do most of our trainng in and around Tokai. We do alot of road work for the miles though.

Lately we are doing more out of town rides, we did Grabouw a few weeks back and the lads did Lebanon yesterday. Next weekend Jonkerhoek is on the cards.

Do you ride on a Saturday or Sunday? My prob is that I have to be at races on Sundays in the morning.

Hi guys,

I am also a first timer - nervous . like hell. Everyday I see on the site- one les day to go, then I start wandering "am I doing enough? Well I know It will not be a walk in the park, but I think we should make it- I recon we just each one give it our best shot and enjoy the adventure !!!

We are keen to try Lebanon soon. Are there any nice trails there?? We thinking about going over a weekend and do some training both days

Hawk: get in contact with Geddan Ruddock from Manic Cycles in Franschoek... He knows a thing or two about riding the Epic and would be the man to talk to... Wink

Hey Vincent, with the training you're doing endurance is definitely NOT going to be a problem, so just pack enough spares ok?!  :))

Suck it up! Just kidding' date=' never done it so no read advice. But from what I hear, pace yourself. Too many people go out hot and end up killing themselves. Also, take spares, especially brake pads!

[/quote']

MichH you've heard correctly, pace yourself!!!  It is also a good idea to do a bit of walking training as well, especially uphill...not a lot, just get yourself prepared for the odd time you might have to get off the bike and walk. Don't kill yourself, just a 10 - 15 min uphill walk 1 - 2 x per week, off raod later ...and get used to walking with your cycling shoes and with your bike!

Also, stretching after your rides is a good idea to keep your muscles in a better condition.  Don't start stretching at the Epic, start now!  I've massaged there for the past two years and believe me, one can feel the difference when somebody did stretching from way before the Epic.  You don't have to go in a long stretching routine, just a few basic stretches that won't take long (5 - 10 min, if that long Smile)

It is advisable to ride about 2 - 3 x per week off road at this time of your training.  If not possible at least use your mtb for some of your road rides, just so that you condition yourself for the different position on the mtb. 

A few tips:

1. Make sure all your cycling shorts are well ridden in (at least 2 months) and buy the best you can afford. If your ass chaufs through you are in for a miserable Epic, so take care of it.

2. Use fissan paste (or suitable cycling cream) on your shorts and start using it now already.

3. Book a massage every 2nd day, it's worth every cent.

4. Use sunblock daily.

5. Don't carry heavy in your camelback, it's more weight on your ass. The water stops are sufficient if you are conservative on your drinking. On the shorter days I only ride with 2 bottles.

6. In the 2nd last month before the event try and get in a few 7hr back to back days into your training to see how your body recovers.

7. Take a whey protein shake every evening before bed. You use more calories than you can eat and your body absorbs liquids faster.

8. NB! Stop and smell the roses... you paid for it, make sure you enjoy it.

A few tips:

1. Make sure all your cycling shorts are well ridden in (at least 2 months) and buy the best you can afford. If your ass chaufs through you are in for a miserable Epic' date=' so take care of it.

2. Use fissan paste (or suitable cycling cream) on your shorts and start using it now already.

3. Book a massage every 2nd day, it's worth every cent.

4. Use sunblock daily.

5. Don't carry heavy in your camelback, it's more weight on your ass. The water stops are sufficient if you are conservative on your drinking. On the shorter days I only ride with 2 bottles.

6. In the 2nd last month before the event try and get in a few 7hr back to back days into your training to see how your body recovers.

7. Take a whey protein shake every evening before bed. You use more calories than you can eat and your body absorbs liquids faster.

8. NB! Stop and smell the roses... you paid for it, make sure you enjoy it.

[/quote'] Just use mentholated spirits ( twice a day) on your sit bones, turns the skin to rock, you'll never suffer again, i used this method for cape epic 2006 as i was suffering prior to it on long rides......