Is this Hekpoort?

AndreZA

Everybody is so afraid of it that I try and steer clear. I've done it once apparently (according to some people I have cycled with) but if I recall it was just a glorified bump.

20070116_015110_hekpoort.jpg

after seeing you in action up suikerbosrand, i'm not surprised you thought hekpoort is just a glorified bump... in your terms it is!!!! Wink

Jip that is the Hekpoort Hill (tar).

Think it is the R563, close to the T-juxtion with the R560.

It looks right to me.

I was trying to fathom out yesterday were Breedtsnek was on Google Earth and as far as my interpretation is of were it should be, that looks like Hekpoort to me.

It is Hekpoort, Google does tend to flatten things out alot. If you zoom in you can even see the speedbumps.

20070116_023840_hekpoort.jpg

Yes it is Hekpoort but not the whole of Hekpoort, it starts on the R563 at the Bekkerskole turnoff at S25 54,724; E27 37,024 and ends at S25 57,048; E27 40,755. Breedtsnek starts at the R24 at S25 49,204 and ends at S25 49,204; E27 26,579 to the north of the Magalliesberg near Buffelspoort dam.

20070116_040125_untitled9.gif

Here is the Map for Breedtsnek. Notice the switchback on the Gauteng side.

Coordinates 25'62.27 S / 27'28.16