Does spinning help?

Alida

Hi all ...

Due to time constraints (involving my job which I do to afford my cycling LOL) there are some days that I just can't get out on my bike so I do a spinning class instead.  I go out on bunch rides on weekends and put in my couple of hundred kms but during the week sometimes spinning is the only thing I can do. 

When I get back on my bike after a day or two of spinning I can definately feel the difference in setup (although I am always grateful to be sitting on a proper saddle again). 

So here's my question ... does spinning help with your cycling fitness or is it more just overall fitness that it improves?  I push myself quite hard in the spinning class to (hopefully) simulate what I would be doing in the bunch but I'm just not sure whether spinning helps my cycling fitness or not.

Any opinions?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it does.

Due to the same sort of time constraints I only get on my bike on weekends, but I manage to spin 3 or 4 times a week.

I feel the most benefit with my cadence and also my recovery times. I seem to be able to recover quicker between hard efforts.

Hi Alida,

I've also had to change my program and now do the toning circuit at the gym twice a week and then spin 3x per week. 

I think it's helping me with climbing, and I haven't at least felt any negative impact during long rides over the weekend. 

I also push as hard as I can in spinning class.

I agree 100% with  Flippa.  If you work hard in spinning class (ispecially interval classes) you'll see a huge improvement on race day, recovering quickly for the next attack.

If you do lots of strength spinning classes you will climb much better too.

I've done spinning, and occasionally still simulate it on the indoor trainer,It does help,and helps even more if you keep the intensity ,for the short period spinning offer, quiet high. It cannot substitute a long endurance ride, but stimulates other muscle fibres and still keeps the legs going. The very least is, you may not improve, but wont lose fitness! Also Spinning which involves intervals, have been scientifically researched and proven to assist endurance fitness (but once again,not replace). Smile

Great - thanks guys.  I am used to quite an intense training program during the week so I don't want to "lose" everything I've worked for now that I can't make it on to the bike everyday.

So as long as I go and spin when I can't ride then I'll still feel the benefits?  You've made my day!!  LOL

It does help a lot.  There was a stage where I could not go cycling.  Did the spinning thing for 6 months.  Got more power, could climb longer, but could not steer the bike.

So yes.  Spinnnig helps a lot.

I agree 100% with  Flippa.  If you work hard in spinning class (especially interval classes) you'll see a huge improvement on race day' date=' recovering quickly for the next attack.

[/quote']

I agree 100% with  Flippa.  If you work hard in spinning class (ispecially interval classes) you'll see a huge improvement on race day' date=' recovering quickly for the next attack.

[/quote']

I haven't seen you at spinning for a while MW. They have great new bikes with shimano spd pedals on all of them. The new bikes are aluminium and go uphill much easier then the old steel ones Smile

I agree 100% with  Flippa.  If you work hard in spinning class (ispecially interval classes) you'll see a huge improvement on race day' date=' recovering quickly for the next attack.

[/quote']

I haven't seen you at spinning for a while MW. They have great new bikes with shimano spd pedals on all of them. The new bikes are aluminium and go uphill much easier then the old steel ones Smile

Sorry Chris.  Ek was so 'n paar kere by Tygervalley.  Hulle het ook nuwe bikes en hulle gaan nog vinniger uphill as N1-City s'nLOL.

There is no substitute for the road Smile

That's true - I never suffer as much in a spinning class as I do on the road. Cry

There is no substitute for the road Smile

That's true - I never suffer as much in a spinning class as I do on the road. Cry

Spin harder!

Wat beteken "lie you"?  Praat afrikaans asb.

En van wanneer af is Kenians knowlegable omtrent enigiets behalwe miskien distance running?Confused