Idiot on a recumbant

Hype

Has anyone ever passed some idiot riding a recumbant on the M5 inthe evening ? I passed this guy yesterday at about 6:20pm on my way home just before the Tokai turn off. He's on a three wheel recumbant so it's lower than the 2-wheelers - has a height of less than 1m and although he has an "aerial" he has no flag on it !

When you're travelling at 100km/h+ and not expecting any bikes on a freeway, this guy suddenly looms up at you in seconds as you can't see him until you're about 150m from him. The guy is an complete idiot just waiting to be run over.

Has anyone ever passed some idiot riding a recumbant on the M5 inthe evening ? I passed this guy yesterday at about 6:20pm on my way home just before the Tokai turn off. He's on a three wheel recumbant so it's lower than the 2-wheelers - has a height of less than 1m and although he has an "aerial" he has no flag on it !

When you're travelling at 100km/h+ and not expecting any bikes on a freeway, this guy suddenly looms up at you in seconds as you can't see him until you're about 150m from him. The guy is an complete idiot just waiting to be run over.

Drive slower....Big%20smile

Turk, I really hope you're kidding.

If a cyclist is riding where he has no business riding, he is looking for trouble.  As p!ssed off as I get when motorists do not accord cyclists the respect that they deserve, I get just as p!ssed off when I see cyclists behaving like successful brain donors.

Turk' date=' I really hope you're kidding.

If a cyclist is riding where he has no business riding, he is looking for trouble.  As p!ssed off as I get when motorists do not accord cyclists the respect that they deserve, I get just as p!ssed off when I see cyclists behaving like successful brain donors.

[/quote'] They guy should have a flag attached but that section of the M5 is like the suburbs in Johannesburg so i don't see any problem with the guy riding there and it has a massive shoulder and the speed limit is 60km/h.........

I suspect Hype has the M's mixed up.  It's the M3 that goes past Tokai' date=' and the limit there is deffinly 100 km/h.[/quote'] If it's the M3 the speed limit drops to 80km/h after the bridge and then to 60km/h but yes at the Tokai turn off the limit is a 100km/h and he should probably not be there but lately i have seen a lot of cyclists riding the M3 as the main road(very narrow) is quite dangerous, but then cycling lanes come to mind but that is a never ending debate...LOL

I get just as p!ssed off when I see cyclists behaving like successful brain donors.

Normally when run over at 100 km/h, I don't think there is much left to donate at all.

Apparently, according to a discussion that was held on Cape Talk the other day, it is not illigal to cycle on "M" roads, only on the National roads. so the recumbant wasn't technically breaking the law. but i do agree that it is a stupid place to be when you are going 30kph and large metal vehicles are passing you at 100kph!