RIP Graham Cooper

Chunky

Today was another black day for cycling......

Graham Cooper was knocked off his bike coming up the steps this afternoon by a truck. I was unfortunately one of the first gus on the scene.The paramedics tried their best to get him back but the injuries were to severe.

I can remeber chatting to him during the week. He was very excited about the fact that he had just won his first race last week.

Condolences to His friends and family.

Chunky

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know him but it is always terrible to hear of these things, seems like it is happening more and more often.

Our condolences to his family and friends.

In a bit of a battle at the moment to get my licence, and with thing like this happening I am really confused at the moment and wondering if it is worth the fight.

With so many people getting hit off their bikes lately, and so many uneccessary accidents involving cyclists I just wonder if its all worth it. Unfortunately I have chosen to do sports and hobbies that are considered dangerous.

I also fly microlights and have witnessed people crashing there too. At one stage I actually stopped flying for that exact reason. I am now feeling the same way about cycling. I know that I always complain about wearing a helmet, and from now on I am going to make a serious effort to always wear one. The thing that scares me is the fact that even a helmet is no help against a 10 ton truck with a kamikaze driver behind the wheel, or a citi golf going 180kmh with a drunk teenager behind the wheel.

People cant live their lives worrying about what is going to happen to them the next day but this accident has really struck a nerve today.

Not to sure if I am going to wake up tomorrow and be so enthusiastic about riding my bike.

Very sad indeed... Chunky' date=' was the driver apprehended?[/quote']

No.

To be honest it did look like an accident. The driver was trying to be as helpfull as possible. I didnt see the actual accident but he was not drunk, and did try his best to get hold of medical assistance.

Guest colonel

With regards to the microlight accidents a top SA Motocrosser, Karl Stegen was killed in one not to long ago aswell.

Not to sure if I am going to wake up tomorrow and be so enthusiastic about riding my bike.

Agree 100%.....and I preish the thought of riding on a bloody stationery trainer just to satisfy the disgrace that are our roads......

i did not know him at all, but it's nothing short of super tragic.

my condolences and prayers of strength to the family.

It gets even worse.....

This morning I got up and decided to go for the usual sunday ride with the Lido group. I put my helmet on for a change and make my way down to our usual meeting place.

4 km into my ride I come across the unthinkable. Another cyclist dead on the side of the road. The guy had been hit by a drunk Black man in a BMW. The car was 200m away from the accident with the bike still stuck under the body of the vehicle.

This is absolutely rediculous. So many accidents and so many cyclists getting injured or killed.

The worst thing of all i the fact that the driver was way over the legal limit. By tomorrow he will be out on bail. Another R1000 and he will buy the docket from a corrupt cop and he will be free as a bird.

Absolutely disgracefull ......it's a never ending saga and their's no recourse for wrongdoers.......

Chunky was that along Swartkoppies going from west to east?. At about 10am we passed a metro car with some cops measuring where earlier some one on a MTB, looked like  Raleigh RM7, was hit. We 1st saw a set of MTB wheels and quite a distance later the crumpled frame.  From the marks and drawings it appears the cyclist was well inside the broad yellow line when hit. The road where this occured was also straight and clear, no sharp or hidden turns and is a double lane. Talk amongst our group was, is cycling worth it??.