Fizik Arione? How long to break-in a saddle

Hi

My saddle gave up on me and I want to buy the Arione. Noe I read that you need to brake it in first? How long will this take (hours on the road = MTB)

Do you think its to late to fit a new saddle on the mtb, before that 8day funride from knysna somewere in march?

Read this:

Older cyclists speak in reverence of their old Brooks leather saddles and the often-ritualized process of breaking them in. The attraction to these was that they ?molded? to the rider?s body given enough time. About the same time it takes to build the pyramids. Lighter riders had little success with the old Brooks saddles as they didn?t command the girth and mass to make them eventually submit to their anatomy. Usually a rider?s anatomy submitted to the saddle, and it wasn?t always pretty.

The Wing Flex design is an active break in feature. The saddle frame systematically ?fails? in pre determined areas to accommodate the rider?s anatomy. It is literally made to ?break inward? to facilitate a comfortable, well-support but free pedal stroke.

Wing Flex works very well based on our tests. The little micro cracks do form and the saddle does move on the sides to make room for you thighs and prevent chafing. This enables the surface area of contact with the saddle to be increased, reducing hot spots.

Mine was comfy from the start!

But isnt the Arione primarily a road saddle? and you are talking of using it for the Epic? rather go with a MTB saddle like the Aliante or the Gobi. they also feature the "wing flex" and are designed for mountian biking.

I have heard take it takes about 300kms of off road riding before one feels comfortable on one of these saddles.

Rather use the Gobi, it's a little softer and by a little I do mean a little, it also doesn't have that sharp ball stabbing point at the back.

The Gobi has been my saddle of choice on the Mtb for 24 hour races for some time now, been very happy with it. Tried the Arione as well, hated it but eveyone is diferent.

Never heard of breaking in a modern saddle. The old Brooks were made with VERY hard leather that needed to be softened through use. In effect they would mould to the shape of your ass. Many modern cycle-tourists still swear by them.

As far as whether the Arione might actually work for your backside, only you can tell. Everyone is different and different saddles fit different people. The only way to find out is to try different saddles.

Personally, unless you were experiencing problems with your current saddle, I wouldn't be changing anything in your bike setup before your March funride. I made that mistake 2 years ago at that same funride and had to withdraw after 3 days with injuries from an ever-so-slightly different position on my bike. Not cool.

i got a fizik arione seat and have never had a sore ass since the minute i climbed onto it. so i dont think you have a problem with that saddle.

otherwise it depends how ofteb you ride and for how long, hours in the saddle count, so just guessing but 2 weeks or so.

but for the arione, more like a day.

I have the areione on my Road bike and needed no break-in. I put it on and did a 200km funride as the first ride.

I have the Gobi on my Mtb and this is also a fine saddle. the main difference is the Arione is a flatter sadle front to back. no break in needed here either.

popeye - suggest that you use a gobi rather than the arione - the arione is primarily used as a triathlon saddle hence the length of it.

should not need to "ride it in" either

popeye - suggest that you use a gobi rather than the arione - the arione is primarily used as a triathlon saddle hence the length of it.

should not need to "ride it in" either

Not true. You do get a Tri version of the Arione which have alot more padding on the nose thrn the normal one but the normal once get used by alot of tour riders.

After speaking to "dirty harry", (= TutisTi)I decided on the Gobi.

Its on and I can feel big diff. Not sure if its going to hurt, but time will tell.

Its a much "rounder" saddle than the sella's.

It feels much "slippery( dunno if thats the correct word), but its as if is smoother material.

Its defenite narow'er as the sella, making fitting better in the "joint".

I'm not sure, but it feels as if your little bone just need to fit before the saddle widen. It feels that that is the sweet spot to work from.

I'm only going to now if this is the one after this weekends long gravel rides.

So, still to early to tell anything.

Popeye - I have been happy riding the Gobi offroad and the Arione from day 1 on my road bike. The feel is similar and the effective length about the same.  The Arione is only longer really because of the stabbing point at the back - well suited to road riding (the nose is far too hard for TT, so I would say that is a misperception) but a bit dangerous off-road.

You do have a fair amount of space to move around on the Gobi so see what suits you best by trying different positions on your long ride.

I'm moving from a sella gel flow to the gobi.

So, I'm still finding (or try to) find the sweet spot. I'm sure I will have it by sunday.

However, this morning before my ride, I lower my seatpost by 3mm. Going to ride this afternoon again to get the feel.

not sure about the prolink, but it lasted about 6-7 years.The only problen is that the leather on the front came loose. The saddle's body and rails are still great.

If the gobi don't "make" it, I'm ging to glue the leather and use it again.

Myne was van die begin af reg gewees. As jy wonder, mount hom op jou stoel by die werk dat jy heel dag daarop sit. Jy jy hom nie inbreek nie sal hy jou inbreek!

I have the areione on my Road bike and needed no break-in. I put it on and did a 200km funride as the first ride.

I have the Gobi on my Mtb and this is also a fine saddle. the main difference is the Arione is a flatter sadle front to back. no break in needed here either.

Ditto no break in. Got one from Crux a while back (hello copman!) and must say its way more comfortable than the Sella Italia SLR XP (not that this was uncomfortable).

Get the Arione, you won't regret