Easton Circuits or Mavic Open Pro

Jamm

Require some guidance from Fatty Please - Easton Circuits or Mavic Open Pro?

Fatty, read that you were around the 95kg mark, and I am 99kg. Popped a spoke at Cape Point on Sunday and the rear wheel seaized against the brake pads - game over! I need to get rid of the Shimanos which cannot stay true for longer than 2 weeks.

So what should I get, the Easton's or Mavics. A couple of hubbers have also mentioned the Spinergys. Are the prices in the same league? Eastons are factory builds as far as I know, but are the Mavics built to your request, or are they also ex-factory? Don't have much info on the Spinergys.

Also need to know whether the rear is 9/10 speed Shimano compatible.

Thanks.

Open Pros are only rims that you have to get hubs for. I'm 93kg and I have 105 hubs with DRC ST17 rims. They were factory built and I had alot of trouble untill I had them redone with DT swiss spokes and not a single buckle or broken spoke since.

I spoke to a guy from Coolheat and he said he don't think Shimano wheels are made for anybody over 80kg, not even Dura-Ace.

I am also a heavy rider over 100kg and have both Circuits and Pro's. Curcuits are semi deep and handbuilt in the factory and are only Shimano compatible, mine is 10spd i'm not sure if they're 9spd compatible as well. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Open Pro's need to be built up. I have 105 hubs which are 9 and 10 spd compatable, with DT Swiss spokes.

I prefer the look of the Circuit's and race with them. I have only had to true them once when i got my foot stuck between the spokes.  I use the Mavics to train with and have yet to have them trued since they were built about a year ago.  

The best wheels I ever had...Besides my 404's Cry Open pro's with Dura ace hubs and DT revolution spokes....28 hole..radial spoking front and non drive rear.

Open Pro's on good hubs put together by a good wheel builder are bomb proof and should last for a long time, hassle free.

I weigh 100kg and ride 36 spoke Open Pro's on Ultegra hubs. Love them!

Open Pro's on good hubs put together by a good wheel builder are bomb proof and should last for a long time' date=' hassle free.[/quote']

If you gonna go this route, that's the important bit... A good wheel builder...

I new a guy that weighed 100kg +. He had a set of open pro's handbuilt by DDP....never needed to true them in years!

Go get the Circuit's, they're built to consistent standards, whereas if you get a local wheel builder to do it you never know what you're gonna get, unless of course you really do know that he knows what he's doing.

Jamm, if you're look for a good local wheel builder try Louis at Mark's Bicycle Workshop in Bellville. One of the best in the business.

How about the Mavic Cosmos ?

Friends don't let friends ride k@k.

whats wrong with the Cosmos? they similar to the Open Pros

How about the Mavic Cosmos ?

Friends don't let friends ride k@k.

Open Pros and Cosmos can't be compared. Open Pros is in its own class!!

Like comparing my sh*t shimano wheels with Open Pros !!!

The Open Pro's are rims, very nice rims mind you. These can then be built onto whatever hubs you like.

The Cosmos on the other hand is a complete wheelset utilizing the exceedingly k@k freewheel body that Mavic have and has been complained about repeatedly on many forums and Mavic themselves have admitted there is a problem with the bloody thing.

Then you have the weight, the Cosmos are heavy for the amount of money you pay, for the same sort of price you can buy the Circuits, lighter, stiffer and you don't get that k@k freewheel.