Newbie and Taxis, Old people & Drunk drivers

Jinx

I'm new at this whole cycling experience. So a few times I decided to sleep late on Saturdays and go out cycling around 6:30am . What a bad idea . I have only been on the road for a month and encountered the following:

5:30 am - A spiteful taxi driver trying purposely to knock me of my bike . I was standing still next to the road looking for on coming cars as I wanted to cross the road to turn. He drove up to me and made me climb of my bike. I didn't want to cause trouble and did so ... but I wasn?t very happy.. WHY is all I can ask my self?

Not that it would help .. It was a white Toyota Venture (Ain't they all) Registration number: RSL296GP.

6:00 am - A black Audi A4 almost hit two pedestrians on the other side of the road and swerve out directly coming towards us . There was not time to go anywhere I just froze; he swerved back unto the road just in time.

Later: Don't you find it amusing how confused old people get when they see a cyclist..? I don't know if this is a good thing as they cause such traffic jam trying to avoid us that all the other cars on the road think it is us that is causing it...

I truly try to stick to the rules on the road . Come Saturday or weekdays I wake up at 4 am to be on the road by 4:30am desperately trying to avoid the traffic.

So any tips?

Yeah, I gotta admit that I've only been knocked by passing traffice twice, and both was not at peak hour.  Strange that.  Maybe people are still asleep whilst driving early in the hours. As for the taxi, well, what can you do. Get a whole gang of buddies next time and then beat the belligerence out of the driver.  I would say go to the cops and report it, but we all know that's not going to go anywhere

He he So true .. I reported it just in case he does knock a cyclist of on purpose... But ja .. not that it would help

Yeah' date=' I gotta admit that I've only been knocked by passing traffice twice, and both was not at peak hour.  Strange that.  Maybe people are still asleep whilst driving early in the hours.  [/quote']

I was also knocked off in the early-morning - it could also have something to do with people trying to get to work and not really focussing on anything but the traffic that's in their way (i.e. cars, trucks, busses, taxis but not cyclists)

Home trainer is fairly safe....

...as are Kyalami, Wesbank Raceway and Suikerbosrand...

After last week's accidents I'm a very reluctant convert from solo riding to saying you really should go with a group.

Tell the Hub where you r and the info should flood in of possibiities in your area.

Thanks ! I don't go by myself we are two people... not that it really help.. but anyway.. We in the north Fourways and does about 30km in the morning Mondays and Wednesdays & Saturdays .. I'm not that fast yet and average about 17km/ph so if there are any other newbies out there that wants to join us just let me know