TACX I-MAGIC Virtual Trainer

3D4D

Is anybody using one of these, it seems to make indoor training a bit more interesting.

Is it worth the money?

Yes i have one. Makes it much easier and its fun to race yourself and against competitors.

Trust me, it's worth it. How much are you paying

That is a very good price. I've got one and would definitely say it is worth it. Just keep in mind that it takes a fairly decent PC to run the trainer from. I started out using the Virtual reality part of it, but these days I mostly use the Catalyst software where you build your own training set based on power (not very accurate but good enough for training), slope, heart rate. It is extremely useful. I build all my plans for the week on a Sunday and each morning just get on and go.

You can also use the new Fortius software on this trainer which gives you the option of taking Virtual Reality to the next level with real video. You can then buy all kinds of routes e.g. Alp de Heuz etc. This obviously requires a even better PC than the std I-Magic software.

The Fortius is the new one on the market - apparently a better braking system that the i-Magic, but the same software and functionality.

Westdene quoted me R8000 for the Fortius and said that they don't bring the i-Magic into the country anymore.

I know there were some problems with the Fortius in SA. Something to do with it trying to push generated power back into the grid.

The major difference with the Fortius (except price and co lour) is that it will actually push you on downhills. This will enhance the virtual reality effect but takes away the main benefit of cycling on a trainer, you always work!!

The software also encompass everything in one program where the I-Magic you have to launch them separately.

Do CWC have stock?

There website Dec/Jan says no.  It's a good price and I'll be after one as soon as the Mrs forgets other recent expenditures.