Ethics joining a group

VO2max

please clear up the following for me.

The weekend on long ride I caught 2 riders. I sat back meter or two and did not work with them but has been riding with them for fair distance.

It just seemd that the other two did not like it that I stayed behind them although I was not riding on their wheels as I needed the training and the wind for my own preparation.

What is the proper ethics here. Just joining even if you dont know the riders and start working with them or waiting until they let you know it is fine to join their group and then go forward and also do some of the work when it is your time.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're a nice guy to be considering this, so whatever you do will be ok - but don't take the lead and immediately fart loudly as this will be misconstrued.

Just pass them and ride away. I dont like it when people ride behind me even if its not in the slip stream , especially for long periods of time. 

Tough one ...

What I've done in the same situation is pulled-up next to the rider/s and asked if it's ok if I join in and if they say yes then I'll go to the back and wait my turn.  Never gotten a no so I don't know what you'd do then Big%20smile

I would also just like to mention that it is very rare for ME to catch THEM so I wouldn't go on my advice alone LOL

I don't think it's a problem riding with a group but not when its only two riders. When you do join a group on the road either sit at the back or go at their pace when in front.

greet them, then do what you want.

If you can catch somebody why would you want to sit in their slipstream. I mean if you have a 2 hour training ride at a certain speed (ie power) you are then going to save 20% of the power by wheelsucking and even more due to the reduced speed... pointless

Make the ethical problem theirs:

If you caught them in the first place - you are riding faster than them, so just ride past. If they want to sit in your slip and not help, that is their ethical burden to bear.

Greet so the guys know you are there.  That's it.  Everything else works out on its own.

Once I caught up with two guys and saw that they were taking alternate pulls at the front.  Every time I was in second spot and the pace slowed I moved to the front and took a pull.  One of the guys bleated that I was messing their rhythm.  For the record, I was doing my damnedest to maintain the pace, not prove my sheer damned manliness.

As long as you are polite, you are doing no harm.  Cycling, as others have noted, is based on strict Darwinian principles, where the weakest is driven from the pack.  If the guys can't drive you from their pack, then you have every right to be there.

Let's face it, it's not like you can endanger anybody or slow them down by riding behind them.

Ti

We live in an age where anybody who rides a bike when there are motorised alternatives is considered weird.

Try and explain to some of your non-bikie friends and relations how much your bike(s) cost and you will find that when it comes to weirdness we roadies do not have it all to themselves.

WTF - who wants to be normal anyway?

Trap of word getrap is my motto' date=' I don't sit in your slip so don't sit in mineWink[/quote']

Thats because you go balls to the wall and then pop....... no one can sit in your slip in gthe begining and then you cant hang on to thier when they come past youEvil%20Smile

I prefer not to ride in groups, so if I happen to catch them I'll stay some distance behind them. And if you have a problem with me being 10m behind you, you're seriously paranoid.

Weird is putting it mildly . I hop the pavemunt a few times while I am behind them and then overtake them on the dirt .