Powertap problem HR

VO2max

I got myself a powertap. After using the polar for about a year, I must say I am quite impressed with powertap.

However I experience the following: When I go over 55 k/h on downhills then I loose my heartrate on the power meter. at first I thought it is because I change my position when I go down into the drops, and that the monitor do not make contact then. For the past week I experimented and found that I still loose my HR even when I sit in the exact position.

Have any of you using powertap experienced this.?

This morning I was riding with one of my buddies but I was really pushing it, then my HR went throught the roof, and I was doing about 55km/h, but on a flat, then my HR just flatlined! Geek And it never came back?

Get the CPU checked out - wierd problem.

Test it on a bike stand indoors by spinning the wheel up and watching the HR.

Hi guys

Adrian from Bicycle Power here (SA PowerTap Distributor)

The problem you are describing is interesting - one that I haven't heard of before.

Just to check, are you using any other devices on the bike (e.g. Polar speed/cadence sensors) that may interefere with the PowerTap's HR function? If so, remove these (permanently) and test the bike.

I support Bruce's suggestion of trying the bike on an indoor trainer. I'd appreciate feedback on such a test.

I would love to get these problems sorted out, so please feel free to mail me (adrian@bicyclepower.co.za) and we'll discuss the matter in detail.

Two more (unrelated) points worth noting:

- Are you zero'ing the torque on your PowerTaps regularly?

- Do you have the latest CPU firmware, version 2.21?

If not, contact me and I'll assist.

Good luck with your power training.

I thought the HR function was just a joke with the PowerTap, the strap is stupid, mine has never worked. Use my Polar for HR instead, no problems.

Wasn't there a problem, before with another HRM that when your clothing was flapping too much it caused interference on the chest strap?

Guest Michelle

Ditto Marius.  My powertap's HR only seems to pick up on the indoor trainer & then it still drops to zero sometimes so I don't bother with it anymore..

Yeah Michelle, it kinda Piss me off on the one hand but on the other hand I don't really mind cuz I ride at Power and not HR, but still we paid a sh*tload for something with funcions and now it turns out one function that use to be the most important is not working...think a Polar cost about R2300 -  so I figure they should cut the cost of the PowerTAPS by the same amount and pay the ppl that already bought the Tap the R2300 back, all agreed??, sweet!LOL

This is not a isolated incident.It seems to be a common problem with powertap.Even some of my mates who bought the new wireless one are complaining.

Dr Watt, welcome aboard..! Thanks, I have send you a mail

Do you have a link where I can download newest cpu software version 2:21

Maruis

Thanks. I will try the polar strap this afternoon.

Marius - you say that you use your polar for HR. You mean the watch as well or just the strap with the pt?

I noticed that the HR on the pt is a little less robust than the polar but I always assumed that it's because it's not coded.

The only time I have hassles is when I ride in a group.

Guest Michelle

Windbreaker: I use my polar strap & watch... although on the indoor trainer my powertap picked up my polar HR strap for a whole session once!!?!

Marius: It p's me off too.  My handlebar looks like a 747 cockpit with all the attachments....

Does anyone have a tool that can merge a polar HRM file with a powertap CSV???? Should be easy enough to write one, but I don't have the time atm Unhappy 

Michelle: you are using a coded strap which won't work with the PT properly.  With regards to merging the two files.  it's a bit of a hassle due to different sampling rates - I investigated this because I wanted to merge altitude data with my PT data.

You could always go buy the PT 2.4 SL - that has a coded receiver.