Cyclists protest road deaths-News24

Delgado

2007-1-27 18:29

Johannesburg - About 3 000 cyclists took to the streets of Mulbarton south of Johannesburg on Saturday to protest about the danger they face on the roads.

The protest followed the death of two cyclists killed over the weekend.

Graham Cooper, 49, was killed on the Old Vereeniging road on January 21 after being hit by a truck that was overtaking another truck.

Last Sunday, Sybrand van Dyk, 51, was killed when he was run over by a car, allegedly driven by a drunk driver.

Van Dyk's body was dragged about 30 metres.

According to reports, the driver was arrested and charged with culpable homicide.

Ian Jones of the club, Cyclelab Supercycling, said the cyclists had come out in protest against the high densities of cyclists being killed on the roads.

"Wreaths were laid at the spots were Van Dyk and Cooper's bodies were found," said Jones.

Both the men's families were present at the wreath laying ceremony.

SAPA

Yup....there was a good feeling allround and it would have been better if held for happier circumstances...

What and emotional day. I rode the H2H with my black band and riding past Greame Coopers accident scene during the H2H gave goosies all over my body. I had a hard time during the race and only kept going out of respect for Greame and Sybrand.