RollerCoaster Race Report

Marius

20070129_024322_roller.gif

So I was ?lamming? in the starting blocks talking sh*t to 2Hot and Orca before moving on to the SV bunch. Here I saw Velouria, and I noticed the SV?s Numbers on his back, here I was thinking he was joking when he said he?s going to come ride with me!!Clap<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

So bubbling away and fiddling with my HR monitor I don?t even hear Helanie setting us off, so I had to play catch-up or I?ll be breaking tooHot?s record for getting dropped the fasts by the SV?s:-P hiehiehieLOLWink

I did hear the one guy going on about us NO TO CROSS THE WHITE LINE or we?ll be fined R500. This is actually quite exciting you know, they just added another tactical tool to racing since it?s almost impossible to get to the front or back, you pretty must suck where you at when the bunch is riding the whole width of the road.Shocked

Any ways, back to the racing, I?ve mentally prepared myself to do what ever it takes to stay with the first group going over OKW, and so I did, I was in a zone man, eyes looked firmly on the wheel in front of me and I was to afraid to look at my HR, when I finally did it was 189bpm out of a Max of 191bmp, eeeeeeck!!ShockedEmbarrassed

Then it was all down hill from there, yaaay!!! Except I found myself at the front with a break with Paul J just as we went over the 4-way stop going up BlackHill I think it?s called, so hanging on for dear life and starting to get worried what I?ll do when the group will catch us and start to accelerate with my HR already in the red, lucky they only caught us with just a few meters to go and I could manage to drift back and hang on.Smile

All the way back again, I for some reason freewheeled faster than most the guys and font myself at the front again with 3other guys as we hit the GlenCairn turn off, OMG!!! Will the madness stop!!!Ouch, so now there 3clowns and poor old me try and make a break for it, not so much me anymore cuz all this breaking aways is starting to take it?s tall so I kinda just stick around.Embarrassed

From there I stayed close to the front, was nice to see Mark attack every now and again with short powerful sprints. I actually stayed with him on two occasionsEmbarrassedTongue But after that I drifted back and got comfy in the bunch again till we come around for round two of OKW from the long way.

Now I only prepared myself to stay with the first bunch the first time and kinda thought I?d try and stay with them again the second time but kinda new I would not be able to sustain the power that long. Cry

So I hanged on for dear life, made it over the fists climb with them, then hanged on for the second part, made it about half way with 2.8km to go and then gave up, looked around to see were the second bunch was, no were in sight. I relaxed my pace a bit, have to recover, 175bpm, that?s a nice pace for me. Big%20smile

Almost at the top, look around again, see one guy coming around the corner, go go go, then just about 50m from the top Velouria come up along side me and he sets the pace nice and fast again. TongueClap

He did a nice job getting us down as well, we were probably 4km away from the finish before the second bunch caught us, and from there it was nice and fast till the end. I had no legs for the sprint but I think me and Velouria did every well!!! TongueClapStar

I felt like my best race for the season!!Smile was a pitty Fatty was not there, racing without him is just not the sameConfusedOuchCry

Cool race report Marius.

So it was you who made the bunch fly up Black Hill - we almost made it back on to the back before the hill, and then the bunch just disappeared... had to wait till Smitswinkel before we caught the bunch again.

When the commisar told all the Elites to get to the back of the SV bunch, I did what I have being doing for the last year and drifted to the back of the bunch, and only then realised that I didn't have to be at the back - I am no longer one of those Elites who gets dropped as soon as the road goes up. I am a SV who can almost hang onto the bunch :)

Also my best ride in quite a while.

How your legs feeling after the 24? Was chatting to Paul and he was saying that his just feel a little slow.

Nice race report, and tasteful use of smilies too.

On race days, I put a discreet square of masking tape over the HR indicator on my Polar 'cause I don't want to know what the numbers are.  Seeing a high number makes a person think "Oh ****, I can't keep this up for long!", which is always a major self-fulfilling prophesy.

Legs are getting there - same problem as Paul - also feel a bit slow. I felt it during the ride on Saturday, which was nice and fast (40.1km/h ave), but thought I had quite good legs on Sunday.

I do feel a bit stronger too...

Nice race report' date=' and tasteful use of smilies too.

On race days, I put a discreet square of masking tape over the HR indicator on my Polar 'cause I don't want to know what the numbers are.  Seeing a high number makes a person think "Oh ****, I can't keep this up for long!", which is always a major self-fulfilling prophesy.
[/quote']

I refuse to use my HR strap during races. I stopped it after one race where I was chasing for 5 minutes with my HR over 200, as soon as I looked down and saw that I stopped? When I should've just pused through!

I refuse to use my HR strap during races. I stopped it after one race where I was chasing for 5 minutes with my HR over 200' date=' as soon as I looked down and saw that I stopped? When I should've just pused through!
[/quote']

Igzackly!

I like to know what my HR was, after the fact.  If I learn that I really was riding my tail off and somebody got away from me it stops me telling myself "If only I'd pushed a bit harder..."   'cause sometimes there is no harder left to push.    I also got advance warning of a bug that struck a few weeks ago, when I barely managed to get to 90% of max, even though I felt fine.

I had such a great race up until OKW (long side) where i cramped again and lost the group (ended up loosing like 8 mins from their until the finish Cry

Keep cramping at that point, gotta do something bout it.

Went so fast up OKW first time (looked at my pc was doing like 17kph most of the way up - nice and quick Thumbs%20Up)

Looks like i am starting to climb again Big%20smile

Good to Hear you getting your climbing legs back tooHot, so we'll be seeing you riding SV's next season then, ey???Thumbs%20Up 

I also did a bit better on the climbs this weekend, took 45s off my best times on both sides of OKWEmbarrassed

Good to Hear you getting your climbing legs back tooHot' date=' so we'll be seeing you riding SV's next season then, ey???Thumbs%20Up 

I also did a bit better on the climbs this weekend, took 45s off my best times on both sides of OKWEmbarrassed
[/quote']

I am still quite weary of the leagues - very diff style of racing to racing in the A-B-C bunch. Can be very destructive all that attacking going on LOL

But yes I am keen to get back into the league and the fitness is coming along great - I think i will definately give the Paarl race a go in league - that is the next one. But i am also racing the Tour de boland in vets so i will see you there.

Are u racing this weekend - i wann race both days - hout bay and stellies!

Sweet, will be nice to have you in the bunch again tooHot! Ja, will be doing both racers this weekend but will not be doing the 99'er, will use that weekend to recover so I am fresh to kick your butt the next weekend hiehiehieLOLWink

I also did a bit better on the climbs this weekend' date=' took 45s off my best times on both sides of OKWEmbarrassed
[/quote']

Only because I gave you a little push up the long side of Ou Kaaps Big%20smileTongue

Sweet' date=' will be nice to have you in the bunch again tooHot! Ja, will be doing both racers this weekend but will not be doing the 99'er, will use that weekend to recover so I am fresh to kick your butt the next weekend hiehiehieLOLWink[/quote']

LOL Cool see you then

I better get my rest too then Wink LOL

Velouria, you put your hand on my ass just ONE MORE TIME...!!!AngryLOL you better put some Muscle behind those pushes next time, I need to take off another 15s!!Wink

I saw that smile on your face Marius... Wink

Dude - I had been chasing you down up OKW for the last 10 minutes - there was not much left when I finally got to you...