Top Posters In This Topic

Which is better ?

In which category?

Ads = Bicycling

Paper used = Bicycling

Usefulness to South Africans = Ride

Coolest Editor = Ride

Coolest bike riden by the editor = Ride , She rides a carbon Specialized Epic

Coolest bike riden by the editor = Ride ' date=' She rides a carbon Specialized Epic[/quote']

and a tcr on the road...

Which is better ?

In which category?

Ads = Bicycling

Paper used = Bicycling

Usefulness to South Africans = Ride

Coolest Editor = Ride

Coolest bike riden by the editor = Ride ' date=' She rides a carbon Specialized Epic

[/quote']

Coolest Editor..??!LOL

Bicycling gets my vote.

Easier to read (the lay0ut is much better)

Articles are better too and has international relevance

Ride is a just a mess which happens to focus on Inland events

We've been through this surely? Along with Shimano vs Campag?

Yip.

And Cyclesport is the best mag,

And of course CampagBig%20smile

Do you know what Tim rides?

Doesn't matter, comes from Cape Town so he lost the competition before it started. LOL

Gather round, boys and girls, and let me tell you a little story.

Once upon a time, I bought a copy of Ride mag.  I was particularly interested in an article that they were running which purported to compare a number of road wheelsets.  Specifically, I was interested in what they had to say about Ksyrium SL's.

The "first person" review that appeared in Ride mag was a verbatim reproduction of the review that was on cyclingnews.com.  Not similar.  Not almost the same, but word for word.  Plagiarism sucks. 

I sent an email to the editor, and received an assurance that the matter would be investigated.

The next month the editorial mentioned that they had received letters from riders complaining that some of the reviews had been lifted from cyclingnews.com and pezcyclingnews.com but that no action had been taken because the contributor had very muscly legs.

WTF!!!  I paid money for something that was not delivered.  A review should be written by somebody who has the technical understanding to get a feel for what is going on and the verbal skills to impart that to others.  I don't give a rat's how fast the reviewer can ride, or whether they can kick my or the editor's ass on or off the bike.  All I care about is that the review should give me his or her impressions of the product being reviewed.

Rant over.

I happily subscribe to Bicycling.  A lot of it is aimed at newcomers to the sport, there is very little courage of racing but it is well laid out, nicely illustrated and every now and then they run an article that makes it all worthwhile.

I remember that very clearly, when asked about it the alledged writer of the article responded by saying "I don't have time to waste by riding all these wheels", this after he had dutifully collected them all from the suppliers. Quite funny actually!

Ti, there are plenty of people who would happily "waste their time riding all those wheels".

Stuff happens.  What really got my goat (and it wasn't the same when I got it back) was that the editor did feck-all about it.

If a person is going to be pretend to be a journalist they should at least do a reasonable pretense.  Kee-rist, if they had just paraphrased the articles they klepped off the net nobody would have known.

yeah that whole incident just palin stopped my buying Ride.

That and the layout gives me a headache.

Then there's that Spinman fellow and his Epic features and lavish praisr for anything he receives for free. Give me honest reviews, the god with the bad and no regurgitated stuff I get off the web for free.