Anyone swim here?

_Daemon_

Starting as off today with swimming at Wahoo (www.wahoo.co.za).

Quite looking forward to it, should hopefully help with the cycling as well.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1000m is my claim to fame.  Really helped with my breathing (i.e. when I am chasing up a hill I don't get out of breath as easily - I still suffer though but now at least I can breathe evenly whilst suffering LOL)

Swimming Midmar in 2 weeks, suppose I should get myself to a pool to train (i.e. check that I can still swim 1500m). It's tough being young and resilient!

Poor dad is out there day and night training, but I guess he only has himself to blame, he's the one who paid for all those swimming lessons!

We seem to have found our equilibrium, he kicks my butt on a bike, I beat him annually at Midmar. Now that I think about it, I only get to be faster than him once a year, he klaps me every time we ride!

considered doing the midmar, but 1.6km is just too far. just want to ask, what is the best way to train for an open water swimming event?

Used to swim, but doing laps in a 50m pool has to be the most boring form of excersize on the planet.  Used to do 1 000 to 1 500 m twice a week, stopped because I could not stand the view any longer....bottom of the pool, blurred sky, bottom of the pool, blurred sky on the other side...

considered doing the midmar' date=' but 1.6km is just too far. just want to ask, what is the best way to train for an open water swimming event?[/quote']

err ......... in open water Confused

Occassionaly' date=' when I fall out of my K1. Big%20smile [/quote']

you aren't meant to fall out damnit! and if you do, why do you need to swim - hang on to the boat!!!! Wink

Starting as off today with swimming at Wahoo (www.wahoo.co.za).
Quite looking forward to it' date=' should hopefully help with the cycling as well.
[/quote']

Impressive looking place that wahoo..<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Swimming is a great form of exercise for cyclists but don?t expect to much benefit for cycling ? you know how the story goes ? Train sports specific?.

Anyway swim training is as interesting as you make it, train with a group, swim with your eyes open and look around (you will see what I mean he he Wink ), don?t do only mind numbing LSD work, add in plenty of drills and quality work.

Occassionaly' date=' when I fall out of my K1. Big%20smile [/quote']

you aren't meant to fall out damnit! and if you do, why do you need to swim - hang on to the boat!!!! Wink

Har har SP - have you tried getting back into a K1 in the middle of a dam or where you cannot stand - requires great balance, skill, cunning and luck.

'specially if the canoe is a racing canoe - not a barge..Big%20smile

I do about a km a day or try at least as it is the only thing i can do at the moment.

If you have very flat breathing then swimming helps a lot, but like SwissVan said do different stuff. It helps the muscles more when you are in the off season.

Flip SwissVan did you braing back some memories for me now!

I did 10 canoe Ironman races (1991-2000) and I did a hell of a lot of swimming in that time, sometimes long way to the bank to get back in!

Paddled a Chepel at the end that needed just the hint of instability by the paddler and you were out! When you were at speed though it cut through the water like a hot knife though butter.

Can only remember maybe 2 or 3 times where I actually managed to get back in after falling out without swimming to the bank, once someone stopped to help me and it was so close that we both nearly ended up in the water but luckily it worked out ok. Tried that sit on the back of the boat and slide your way forward into the cockpit a few times but fell over before I got to it!

Depending how rough the water was and how complicated the fall out was the boat could be so full of water that your only concern was to save the boat by gently floating it to the bank!!!!

Never got any roasties from falling out though LOL

Swiss, i've had to get back into a seakayak in the sea out past the breakers... that is not fun... getting back into a racing K2 (we were loaned the thing for an AR by one of the country's top paddlers) in the middle of emmarentia can be quite hilarious... Wink but it does teach you to stay in the darned thing in order to stay outta the water (if you can call that sludge "water") roodeplaat dam LOL