What's up with the local Race Face agents?

MintSauce

You might have read of the issues with my Race Face cranks. Now mine were bought from JensonUSA so it has nothing to do with the SA agents and i don't expect them to help me at all.

What I've found out through this mess is that in SA they give a 1yr warrenty on cranks.

However, the Race Face websites claim a lifetime warrenty on cranks?

What's up with that $H!T?

You might have read of the issues with my Race Face cranks. Now mine were bought from JensonUSA so it has nothing to do with the SA agents and i don't expect them to help me at all.

What I've found out through this mess is that in SA they give a 1yr warrenty on cranks.

However' date=' the Race Face websites claim a lifetime warrenty on cranks?

What's up with that $H!T?
[/quote']

I don't think that agencys stays long enough with one company to warrant (excuse the pun) a lifetime guarantee.

I've got a mate whose girlfriends bike is a brand new WSD Giant Trance, after 3 rides the Race Face crank broke, so what do the agents say....... "buy a new one in the meantime and we'll have a look at a warranty claim"

Solution.......

Don't buy Race Face !

Don't open the can of worms labelled 'Manitou'....had four of their forks. Only the first one(Manitou 4) didn't give me any hassles. Manitou SUCKS!

I am always amazed at the shortsightedness of the cycle importers in this country.

In my opinion it makes little differance where the item was purchased, local distributors are appointed by the manufacturers to SERVICE AND SUPPORT their line not only to sell the products.

Last year I bought a Sony Digital Video in the USA and there was a fault with one of the switches, I called Sony explained the situation and they sent me a brand new upgraded unit, no questions asked.

Thats service, and a valid reason of why Sony is a market leader.

All of these distributors have direct access to the manufacturer, if they want to, they can simply explain the situation to the manufacturer and ask for a replacement

Usually, manufacturers will give the local distributor the choice of whither to support grey lines or not, however, NO manufacturer worth their salt, will refuse warranty on the grounds of where the line was purchased and where it needs warranty.

The problem is, quite simply, the distributors here in the cycling industry are so small minded, they would rather have the public bad mouth the product they represent than support the line,sort it out, and keep the customer, irrespective of where it was purchased.

I deal with this type of issue every day in the construction and maintainance field, and never once has the manufacturer refused warranty, even if the product was imported "grey" and bypassed the  official importer  (us).!!

..............oh, and we support every product we represent in S.A. irrespective of how it got here (grey or official)

Send RaceFace international a message asking what's up?

I am always amazed at the shortsightedness of the cycle importers in this country.

In my opinion it makes little differance where the item was purchased' date=' local distributors are appointed by the manufacturers to SERVICE AND SUPPORT their line not only to sell the products.

Last year I bought a Sony Digital Video in the USA and there was a fault with one of the switches, I called Sony explained the situation and they sent me a brand new upgraded unit, no questions asked.

Thats service, and a valid reason of why Sony is a market leader.

All of these distributors have direct access to the manufacturer, if they want to, they can simply explain the situation to the manufacturer and ask for a replacement

Usually, manufacturers will give the local distributor the choice of whither to support grey lines or not, however, NO manufacturer worth their salt, will refuse warranty on the grounds of where the line was purchased and where it needs warranty.

The problem is, quite simply, the distributors here in the cycling industry are so small minded, they would rather have the public bad mouth the product they represent than support the line,sort it out, and keep the customer, irrespective of where it was purchased.

I deal with this type of issue every day in the construction and maintainance field, and never once has the manufacturer refused warranty, even if the product was imported "grey" and bypassed the  official importer  (us).!!

..............oh, and we support every product we represent in S.A. irrespective of how it got here (grey or official)
[/quote']

Maybe porky can send them a message?

Minty, dont just accept poor service (or no service) argue your point and if necessary, take it further (ie) the manufacturer directly.

Delaying tactics are old hat in the importing / distribution market, they will delay,delay,delay and just hope you get tired and go away, make it clear you are unhappy and want an answer.  

My suggestion is to approach the local distribution, tell them the truth and ask how they can assist? Supply docs if needed.

If you dont win there, approach the manufacturer, tell them where you bought it, where you live, supply docs and ASK for a warranty replacement.

Race Face is a USA manufacturer I think, and these companies have to comply with USA legislation which states clearly that a legitimate warranty claim has to be honoured, they cannot weasel out of it like they can here, but engage them in a friendly way and I am sure you will be assisted.

You make some valid points Porky, virtually all manufacturers (or at least those with a bit of forward thinking) understand that the world is now much more mobile,people travel and move all over, so just because you bought a product in London and now you are in Australia and its packed up, is no reason to refuse you warranty.

Manufacturers will always be giuded by their official distributors on claims like this, irrespective of their fine print on the warranty card.

In virtually ALL instances the distributors are the ones who are the "fly in the ointments" as it were, they are either too lazy, too incompetant, or too cash strapped (in which case its a bad idea buying from them anyway) to assist you, go directly to the manufacturers and tell them whats happening - especially if its a USA based manufacturer, (a)they have the best customer ethics in the world and (b) as porky points out there are common law legalities involved here and if you can prove warranty claim you can most certainly enforce your rights.

Am busy writing them a letter at the mo.

Generally they don't respond to emails direct. When I had initial hassles with my bb they ignored 3 emails and 2 voice messages.