Radio 702 this morning

cat-i

John Robbie's looking at the cycling-and-car-disrespect-issue this morning on 702. Unfortunately it's only car drivers that phones in - the cyclists are apparently all out cycling!

I can't listen & phone in from where I'm now - so will someone please listen & phone in to put our side of the story - IanJ?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I listened to it.

Some poepel who claimed he was a marshall said it was all right for cyclists to ride 2 abreast (there's that word again ;-))

Needless to say one or two cyclists phoned in and said that "the Marshall" was talking crap and then Sean Badenhorst's father phoned in, gave a plug to Bicycling SA and said "I've just spoken to my son who is the editor of THE best cycling mag in SA and he says that it's illegal to ride abreast" (another poepel).

A couple of other listeners also phoned in stating that cyclists are rude.

A lady phoned in stating that by hooting at cyclists, motorists actually scare the living daylights out of cyclists.

And then I got to work....

At least we can take the posotive out of it.

Its on air, and thousands listen to it.

It will make them aware of the issue..And thats a great start already.

UIts not a court of law, so everyone can have a opinion on the show.

But, tommorow morning the motorist will be AWARE of a bicycle on the road..

With only motorists phoning in, hopefully it doesn't reinforce the fact that some cyclists can be rude, obnoxious, law breaking, arrogant etc etc, and that we are all painted with the same brush.

I hope there was some balance by the end of the show.

Damm, only just logged on now. I wonder why they didn't contact me or Chunky. Last week they couldn't wait to talk to us. Maybe they only wanted one side of the story Ouch.

Did anyone see Supercycling last night, I was working so missed it? Was there any coverage of the ride?

Yes they had a 3 minute clip of Saturdays ride....

Did anyone record it and if so can you make me a copy?

Sorry mate but they do repeats during the course of this week and I think it's mainly during the day.....you can check with SS.

My impression was that Joe Public thinks that cyclists (lycra clad ones, not dikwiele) are the second worst thing on the roads after taxis.

Everybody was upset about riders in groups (you way call it 2 a breast) that blocked the road and were arrogant/rude/vulgar to motorists.

Sad but true.

IanJ, I have the tech to do it, do you have WMP 11? You need something that can play an .avi file. Let me know when we can do this (preferably over the weekend).

My impression was that Joe Public thinks that cyclists (lycra clad ones' date=' not dikwiele) are the second worst thing on the roads after taxis.

Everybody was upset about riders in groups (you way call it 2 a breast) that blocked the road and were arrogant/rude/vulgar to motorists.

Sad but true.
[/quote']

This is what I was afraid of...

Taped it this morning - can write it to a DVD if you want and post it...

(Let me first just check one the quality - sometimes the reception sucks).