How many km's did you get out of your BB

mdk555

Howdi - Having a mini fight Ouch about how many km's a person should get from a BB?

Please mention if stats come from a half bike or double the fun

Had mine in now since I bough the bike in August 2005 (mtb) done a fair whack of riding on it since.

I've never worn out a BB, and I usually do around 12,000km - 15,000km on a bike.

That would a full bike, not one of those funny long wheelbase jobbies.

I've got round about 18000km out of my 105 and it is still super smooth and it's not one of these new outboard jobbies.

I must say mine is one of those XTR outboard jobbies.

Have you replaced your chain rings yet ?

Campy Centaur 2005...had to replace last year when the shop stripped the thread on the cup...new one already has a few thousand km's on it, and no hassle.

My commuting bike still has it's ancient 8speed Chorus BB, and smooth like butter...

I must say mine is one of those XTR outboard jobbies.

Have you replaced your chain rings yet ?

Yeah, stuck on some of the Middleburn's.

My '82 Gios Super Record still has the original Campag BB.

I don't know what mileage the previous owner did, but I've ridden it for over 5 000 km.

Most problems with a BB failure will be the spindle fracturing, but most reckon that will only happen after around 35000km... Bearings can breakdown before, but at least you will feel them deteriorating first... and you can replace them, and keep them lubricated.

I've replaced two in two years or 20 000km. Sounds like my LBS is pulling the wool over my eyes?

Rode the same BB on my road bike for something like 20 000kms (from 2002 till 2005). Campag Centaur.

Not so lucky on the MTB - one Shimano BB and one Race Face BB later (2004 was a pretty wet year - wet Knysna, wet TransBaviaans, wet Lourensford...)

worst before getting stuck LX MTB 450k's got fixed.

Total write off Chorus 10.000k's

best ever 125.000 k's out of an early 90ies dura ace still riding it but getiing squeaky, only lubricated once :) old school the real quality
The Crazy German2007-02-01 14:59:01