Cytomax - good or bad?

Alida

Hi everybody.

I've been using Cytomax energy drink and their gulp-and-go's and pre-formance and recovery drink - so basically everything - with good results and have always been quite happy with the product and from what I've read in other threads, so are most people that use Cytomax.

I was chatting about nutrition with a friend who is a comrades runner and he says he's heard bad things about Cytomax and that it wasn't really good for you as in not just that it doesn't deliver on it's promises but that it could actually cause you harm.

I've checked around the other threads to see if anyone had mentioned anything like this but can't find anything other than praise for Cytomax.  I think its great - was just wondering if anyone else had heard anything about it being bad for you?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also use CytoMax and the product is mentioned in a few books as being one of the best Energy Drinks. I only use it on race days however since it's very expensive, it's all good I think.Thumbs%20Up

Hi Alida

There's a school in running and cycling that says there's nothing better than half coke and half water and anything like Cytomax just makes for expensive urine.

If it's working for you stick with it.  I really liked the difference Cytomax made to endurance, buffering etc. but it made me feel a bit crampy / bloated so I've switched to Cytogen that doesn't have that effect but maybe isn't as good in the performance areas.

My 2cs

I only use cytomax with great results (I think). I dont use the preperfomance anymore as I find that it didn't agree with my stomach and I felt bloated after drinking it. Saying this I have never tried any of the other drinks out there.

The only downside to cytomax that I know about (appart from the price) is that you cant mix any drink with cytomax IE if you run out during a race you cant stop at a table and fill up with coke.

CSC uses it - enough said!

That doesn't mean anything. They also ride Cervelo and they break.

I used to use the 'gulp 'n go' gels (which I was very happy with).

I used to get them at Dischem but they have stopped... if anybody knows were I can find some please let me know.

Use GU now which is ok.

I have used Cytomax since I first started cycling in 1998- my neighbour was an ex pro and he swore by it , switched to Fit in 2002 when the Rand died against the dollar, and switched back again two years ago.

I have had no problems with it. I only use the race juice.  

That doesn't mean anything. They also ride Cervelo and they break

i could reply a 100 things to this,  but just don't have the time right now!

Dr. Seuss2007-02-01 02:25:44

The energy drink isn't that expensive if you work out the cost per serving - think its about R4.50 per bottle.

The pre-formance, gels and recovery drinks are pricey (OK expensive) but they work for me.

So no-one has heard anything about it being harmful to one's body?

I only use cytomax with great results (I think). I dont use the preperfomance anymore as I find that it didn't agree with my stomach and I felt bloated after drinking it. Saying this I have never tried any of the other drinks out there.

The only downside to cytomax that I know about (appart from the price) is that you cant mix any drink with cytomax IE if you run out during a race you cant stop at a table and fill up with coke.

KeithW, why not ?

Never mixed it before, but would like to know why not.

Cytomax is great ...

also try out the enervit gells etc (especially the one with the cap) for a good end of race kick!!!

not cheap but good stuff

i think that most of the supplements coming from the US is of a far better quality than the rest - especially a widely used product such as CYTOMAX.

if there is any harmful ingredient in there,  they would not be around anymore as they would be bankrupted in lawsuits long ago!

the US manufacturers do far more testing and quality control on their products due to the fact that it is very easy to get involved in a legal battle & the last thing a company needs is a class-action against them.

same of course goes for EAS.

so no - i dont think that it is harmful to your body

(riding for 4 hours without applying sunscreen every 30mins is of course harmful to your body - so is being in the sun without some UV protective clothing & i have seen none of that around for cycling)