Reckless Training buddy!

Jinx

We have been cycling together for almost 2 months. He sometimes wants to cycle next to me, this worries me for obvious reasons. When he cycles in front of me, he is most of the time doing so in the middle of the road and he seems to forget that he needs to share the road with the rest.

On at least 3 occasions I have seen his life flash before my eyes...lol.. . I can?t baby sit the guy...but I keep on telling him to be more careful and get out of the middle of the road and to watch for the cars & taxi's when he is next to me.

I?m friends with his wife and have no idea what I will say to her if he gets knocked down by a car.

What to do ?. Just let him be? and get us both killed?

smiley36.gif Jinx2007-02-01 08:06:24

Phew Jinx, this is a difficult one. Maybe you need to sit him down and explain that you don't want to ride with him any more unless he is willing to ride safer. Explain that he isn't riding very safely and you don't want to be the one to see him get killed.

Not an easy discussion, but how would you feel if you didn't. You're his friend, he's most likely to listen to you if you handle this with compassion.

Good luck

Tell him!! Ask Cocaine, Donkey etc how I shout at them when they skip stop streets or robots!

I'm sure if you ask him "when you get killed, which of your organs do you want to donate?" it might get him to think a bit...

When we cycle together we have rules where if you see a car you shout, "car back move left", or "car trying to pass move left", we do this naturally and the other person just moves over, but we started that from the beginning, maybe start doing this subtly on your rides and if he asks you about it just say, oh I went for a ride with some hubbers and they were doing this and I thought it was a clever way to keep us safe. And just keep doing it, pretty soon he'll start getting the picture.

Hope this helps!!

Hey, if he's a buddy, just tell him to get out the f***ing road before he gets creamed... since when have cyclists been subtle?

You have any friends Buff?

Just kidding! I'm always in for subtlety first, there's always room for straight talk later

I agree with Buff. No need to knock around the bush on such a serious subject. Just remind him that you wont scrape him of the road when he gets struck by a bus.

Guest colonel

Let him get flattend and the then make off with his cool stuff before the medics get there.

Tell him!! Ask Cocaine' date=' Donkey etc how I shout at them when they skip stop streets or robots!

I'm sure if you ask him "when you get killed, which of your organs do you want to donate?" it might get him to think a bit...
[/quote']

LOL!

Ja, i can second that - Fatty won't keep his mouth shut (although i wasn't shouted atSmile)

Going past Campsbay:

Fatty: "Nellie, bly maar binne die geelstreep, die ouens ry partykeer nogal vinnig om hierdie draaie"

Nellie: Okay.*nellie moves to the far left of the yellow line*

Fatty: "Daarsy, ek wil nie jou pa moet bel nie... 'Hallo oom, uhm...jou dogter is gery...ag - ek bedoel omgery' "

...and that is where i nearly fell off my bike laughingLOL

Psalm 141:3
Set a guard over my mouth, keep watch over the door of my lips.

Well jinx if you can't say anything to him.

KICK HIM IN THE NUTS

Let him get flattend and the then make off with his cool stuff before the medics get there.

As much as this suggestion is highly appealing to my sense of justice it will probably be frowned upon by most, maybe you should consider taking him to the casualty ward of a government hospital on a Friday night, should sort him out chop chop

The whole subject depends on how good looking your training buddys wife is. If she's hot and your single keep quite. If your married and she's hot keep quite. If she's ugly get another training buddy.

Big%20smile

I'd get rid of him....or gradually on training rides ride away from him...& if he confronts me with it I'll tell him why....

It's hard enough looking after yourself on the road and making sure U safe ,,,,,

"DTThumbs%20Up"

smiley36.gif I'm female...no intention of taking the wife .. hehe!

If there is anyone out there in the northern suburbs that want to out on Mondays & Wednesday mornings at 4:30am ?

Please let me know... I do about 40km ... for the time being ... I can't keep with the cycle lab group that leaves from main rd.

smiley9.gif

smiley36.gif I'm female...no intention of taking the wife .. hehe!

If there is anyone out there in the northern suburbs that want to out on Mondays & Wednesday mornings at 4:30am ?

Please let me know... I do about 40km ... for the time being ... I can't keep with the cycle lab group that leaves from main rd.

smiley9.gif

PM Slowpoke and MichH, they do Wednesday's and Friday's