Would you recommend Selle SLC?

Jedi

Ladies or guys, I would like to know if the cut out in the Selle Italia SLC is good enough to recommend investing in one.  I have Fizik Arione Wing Flex and it is just not going to see another ride with me!!!!  The stitched seam in the middle is obviously catching me in a place the manufacturers never knew existed. 

Would like to replace Arione with saddle with cut out, maybe Selle SLC/SLR our even RavX.  What can you recommend.  I am short and small so I am not comfortable on a very wide saddle.  Right now, I want something with a HUGE cut out area!

Ladies or guys' date=' I would like to know if the cut out in the Selle Italia SLC is good enough to recommend investing in one.  I have Fizik Arione Wing Flex and it is just not going to see another ride with me!!!!  The stitched seam in the middle is obviously catching me in a place the manufacturers never knew existed. 

Would like to replace Arione with saddle with cut out, maybe Selle SLC/SLR our even RavX.  What can you recommend.  I am short and small so I am not comfortable on a very wide saddle.  Right now, I want something with a HUGE cut out area!
[/quote']

What about the Selle Flite saddles? Alot of people swear by them still and they ghave more padding then the SLRs. And you get them with and without "hole".

BTW, what's the conditions of your Arione and what whould you want to sell it for? I'm quite keen.

Guest colonel

Jedi: I also had a Fizik and I hated it for that exact reason and changed to the SLC and have had 2 since. Awsome saddle.

Mampara, Arione is in VERY good condition, no scratches, wing flex has not even flexed yet, so you can wear it in yourself (if you can).  I think that is my problem.... I might be too light for the saddle, saddle is trying to wear me in instead of the other way round!

I also stay in Gauteng, so if I can get another saddle will let you know and we can make a plan.  Certainly don't want the earth for it, better to sell cheaply than it just lying around in the garage.

I use the SLK and the SLC is the newer lighter version of it, the SLK is bloody awesome it's come with from bike to bike over the last 3 years and I refuse to use anything else. Awesome saddle.

I use the Selle Italia Flite with cut-out.

Most comfortable saddle I've used. There's a new one out i think.

Guest Michelle
Jedi: You're a girl right?  Rather take a look at a ladies specific saddle... the Selle Italia SLK LADY Gel Flow... I saw it at cycletech recently if you want to take a look at it. I love mine.  Also tried the Fizik, although I think it was the "rondine", I couldn't handle it.. way too squishy. 

Ah, now that makes a difference! Don't listen to what I said. I'm a tall skinny buggger so it's probably not appropriate.

Jedi

Saddle choice is (as you can attest) immensely personal.  Most people rave avout the Arione, but you clearly do not.

Have a look at the Selle Italia (or other manufacturer's) website and draw up a shortlist of saddles based on style and dimensions.  You mention that you are small - you will prolly be most comfortable with a narrow saddle.

My experience is that I had an SLR, which I liked the look of but on rides over about 90minutes I began to feel like a too-popular prison inmate.  I changed to the Signo Gel Flow, and am very happy with it.  Saddle choice was based on the fact that I am also fairly small, and had not been happy on wider saddles. 

(I am 170cm tall and weigh 66kg.)

Edited to add that I have both X and Y chromosomes, so while my advice may be of some use, my saddle choice prolly won't be too helpful.
bikemonster2007-02-05 04:50:09

My advice....Stay away from the SLR.  The hardest saddle on the market.  Go read the reviews on www.roadbikereview.com

Jedi, you must be female cause I also really battled with my Fizik. I use a Sella Italia SLR I think. The one that is open at the back with the hole in the middle. It is a lot better and I don't like soft saddles cause they rub too much, and this one is also nice and skinny.

I say go for it!!!

That the SLK Wonder Woman. Coolest saddle I've ever used, wouldn't have thought it would work for the fairer sex though?

Thanks Titus...

Ooh, I love my SLK. Wouldn't say it is 100% but it is 100 X better than anything else I've tried.

Funny thing with saddles is that we all have different bone structures so what might work for one might be awful for another.

I'm really amazed that you guys find the SLK comfortable. I've never tried it but it just looks soo thin. Will personal weight also be an issue? I mean does a lighter guy, no not Zippo, need less padding then a heavier person or is it just a bone structure thing.

Remember that here we are talking about the SLK not the SLR, the SLR is the ultra minimilist saddle, not a big fan. The SLK is the one that is split right down the middle so the left and right move independantly it is also mounted on elastomers which helps take out a bit of road shock and vibration. The padding is thin but alot thicker than the SLR all in all a very nice and comfy saddle. For me at any rate.

I would go for the Selle Italia SLK LADY Gel Flow. the rav x one is not that good. My friend had one and changed to an Selle Italia SLK LADY Gel Flow and never looked back.