MTB: newbie to clipless: advice please

shaundv

I just got myself a set of Shimano PDM540 pedals for my mountain bike. And cycling shoes.  This will be the first time I will be MTBing with cleats.

Any advice for the newbie? Please post here.

use the + - adjuster to set the spring in the - position(turn until it stops).This will allow you to get out a little easier.

Practice with one foot on the couch before you go out for a ride.

good luck

P.s. remember that it is like driving a car, it might seem impossible at first but you will find is becomes easy.

Find a grassy area and ride around while you practice clipping in and out. Be prepared for a few falls.

Or do it in a paved car park and make some new scars!

when falling make sure you tuck you arms and legs in and let the handle bars and pedals take the impact.

yeah, don't let your knees and elbows become crumple zones. They not that strong. I find it's the female of the species that does that most often.

Guest Agteros

when falling make sure you tuck you arms and legs in and let the handle bars and pedals take the impact.

Haha I used to tuck in. I'm on my 3rd handle bar now. My last fall my knee made contact with a sharp rock, causing micro tear in the quad tendon. Have a knee full of cortisone, and pondering the Fast One in the light of the doping threads going around.

Being unlicensed an taking it slowly @ 25km/h (already entered and paid, shuttle et al) and  finishing somewhere like before 25% of the field, will it save me from being 'tested'? LOLLOL

Make the adjustment mentioned earlier to release the tension on the spring of each pedal, that is the best advice. Initially getting your foot of the pedal quickly under pressure will be difficult, but as the cleats and pedals wear in a bit it will be 100%, takes only a couple rides to wear in.

I don't think you will avoid falling (so embrace it).

Forgetting you have cleats is probably your biggest risk at first, you come to a hault want to put your foot down, panic and fall.

On another note excellent choice of pedal, Shimano's aren't the lightest, but they are strong and user friendly, don't like mud too much.