Non IE browsers and the Online Entry Page

narra

Mmmm.....

So, if you use a non IE browser and you want to go and see what races you have entered for, it will not work.

They use an ActiveX button or something so that is why you can't get to your entered races.

So I belive in the HTTP standards and there is a very good reason for it Big%20smile If websites conform to standards all of the browsers will be able to open it. But we all know about Microsoft's history with standards Dead

Phone CycleLab and asked them if they know about the problem. They do know about the problem and NO, they are not going to fix it. Lady told me that it is a secure site and that SuperCycling is in control of the site. Hallo, I can go and check what Andrew Mclean's entered for and in which group he is starting in, how secure is that?

I hope they change there minds and try to fix it, but then again I might wait for a very long timeOuch

Now that I got that of my chest ....

Cheers

narra

narra2007-02-05 03:44:20

If I can't view it in FireFox it's not worth checking out. Have you tried the IE Tab extension? Renders a tab in FF using the IE engine

I dont think IE works under wine yet. I believe there is a project for IE 7 under wine, but not yet finished. I have a similar problem in that we only use linux at work, and a lot of South African webmasters haven't discovered Firefox yet.

Well, its actually us developers that refuse to work on windows, while the rest of the company struggles along. 

the big problem is that sa co's tend to employ #$%^&* #$%^& #$%^&  management who insist on going MS the whole way. and then they turn around and employ twits who can only work in MS environments, and then they treat the staff who DO know the real world in such a way that they leave the co and go work elsewhere... or in a different field..... ok, daily rant over.... i know it's not a great option, but what about trying netscape... doesn't that have the necessary plugins?

(and i agree about the security issue... they should just redo the whole site using php or suchlike, and code the front-end to be compliant with the current standards as per www.w3c.org)

You right slowpoke, its a huge problem. But being an MS shop shouldn't stop these guys from being standards compliant, Even ASP.net is capable of rendering standardised web pages, its the developers who are too lazy/ignorant/underpaid to understand this.

velo, that is exactly the point i'm trying to make - the co's don't care who they employ - as long as the %^& can produce for (their) MS environment and the clients must just live with it. when they DO end up with developers who actually bother to ensure that their stuff is compliant with standards they make these developers lives miserable... so they leave... and then the co's sit with little "know it alls" who have NO clue about standards etc.

(i know that asp can be compliant, i just have a personal issue with it because of the MS aspect Wink)

Yip slowpoke, i have had some experience with the "know it alls" myself. They are the wheelsuckers of the development world. I luckily gave up on MS a couple of years ago and do mostly Java nowadays. Will never look back.

I've been playing with Ruby on Rails too and its a lot of fun, you should give it a try. Any future private development will definitely be with rails.

So I guese you guys and girls have all ready upgraded to Vi$ta Evil%20Smile

Oh ja, heard about that. Really dangerous virus thats causing havoc in companies worldwide. The only way to get rid of it is to throw your pc down a mineshaft.

narra, my home equiment won't run vista and i'm not going to make hw suppliers rich just to make MS rich!

work-wise, not really an option - huge corporate and we can't risk confusing the users... vista is very very very different to XP. heck, i'm dreading the move to office 2007... but it's gonna have to happen at some stage, especially to make full use of WSS 3.0 (the latest version of SharePoint)

Agreed on the standards!!!  Come on guys, some of us just don't DO the IE thingy.  I use IE ONLY for the supercycling and bicycling sites!  Even our intranet allows me to use Firfox/Minefield.

As for Vista, I have the Beta on my home machine (dual boot setup) to test.  Very nice looking OS, but HUGE difference in functionality.  It seems that MS has decided to make things more difficult with this OS.  But as I said, very nice looking.

SP, as for Office 2007.  Up to now, no problems/hassles at home.  Works lekker, nice new features, etc.

ewep, you gotta understand the literacy and pc literacy of some (most) of the users here... 2007 is wayyyyyyyyy different to "old" versions... people are gonna be looking for all the "memorised" places to click (read double-click and go nuts) and are gonna be all confused with the whole tool-strip issue etc.....