SRAM combo

Velouria

With my new MTB arriving some time before 2010 Stadium gets finished, I was wondering which combination of SRAM I should get.

Since I can't afford to go with for the full SRAM X.0 combination of shifters and rear derailleur, I was wondering what the better combo would be:

X.0 shifters and X.9 derailleur,

or

X.9 shifters and X.0 derailleur.

LBS reckons X.9 shifters and X.0 derailleur, but I have read differing reports on the web? Any advice?

Really, the difference in shifting makes the X.O triggers worth the extra bokke over the X.9's

Spent over a year on X.9 before switching to X.O.

Haven't used the X.9 der so can't comment. Others might say the difference in the der are worth going for X.O there?

If you want you could go X.O rr der, you'd be welcome to use my X.9 triggers for as long as you need and then get the X.0's later?

Definitly X.9 shifters and X.0 der. I saw two X.0 shifters that broke during last years epic, might have been isolated cases, but still. I've been using X.9 for 3 years without a single glitch...

New 2007 X.9 shifters then you can decide if you really need the new X.0 derrailleur but I would say take an X.9 medium cage instead. Then get an XTR high clamp front mech.

Have you considered X9 gripshifts?

Much less stress on the fingers.  But not so good if you're in to DH.

Have you considered X9 gripshifts?

Much less stress on the fingers.  But not so good if you're in to DH.

Or 24 hour racing those things rip the **** out of your hands!

Ja....i have heard the new X.9 stuff is much improved. I'm a bit slow today.

Not that it was ever bad, but I assume it's perhaps closer to X.0 now.

Ok....i'm not helping here

Nah, don't get the GripShifts Velouria, I had the X9 Trigger Shifters while I was waithing on my X.O Gripshifters to arrive, when they finially got here I recone I liked the Triggers beter.

The reason for this is I get confused with the Gripshifters, you have to rotate them one way on the left to go up and right on the right hand side to go up, I for the life of me don't know why they made it so complicated...also changing of blades is stupid cuz you have to rotate the shifter a few clicks...nah, it's a hassle, the triggers was first time every time. Go for the 9X Triggers and 0.X Del.

TitusTi,

"Or 24 hour racing those things rip the **** out of your hands!"

Please clarify.  I havn't done a 24H yet. 

I remember blazing a trail back in the 90's with my red Sachs twist shifters - the kind the volvo cannondale team used for a while and my french doping hero cum xc world champ - Jerome Chiotti had on his Peugeot in '96.....

man I must stop living in the past.

I've been riding with X.9 shifters for 2 years now and no problems! Those with an X.0 RD will be really schweet! Pity I could only afford the X.7 but hey I am 'sweet talking' the wife that I need an X.9 RD for my B/Day in May, you never know!

Casspir, I've not even done more than a 3hour ride with the Gripshifters and I got a massive blister on my thumb. What happens is when I shift the side of my thumb goes against that high part of the gripshifters. Think a full finger glove might solve the problem but it's to much hassle.

But that part of the thumb as become hard now so I don't get them there any more.

TitusTi' date='

"Or 24 hour racing those things rip the **** out of your hands!"

Please clarify.  I havn't done a 24H yet. 

[/quote']

In a lap race you shift about 30 times a lap +-, now work that out over 40 laps, and all the time you are using the same bit of soft skin to shift with. I know you have gloves but it is still extra friction in a place you don't want extra friction.

....french doping hero cum xc world champ - Jerome Chiotti had on his Peugeot in '96.....

man I must stop living in the past.

Hey rock....here we go reminiscing again!

Thomas Frischknicht was the man though.

Affectionately known as the 'first lady' of MTB cos he came second at the World Champs like 4 or 5 times in a row.

He eventually got the gold for '96 though, a year late after Chiotti came clean about the doping.

The good ol' days Smile

TitusTi, Marius,

Thanks.  Now I understand.  I tend to take hold of the bigger area (ring) of the grip shifters and shift that.  So I do not experience your kind of problems. 

Regards,

casspir

I'd go with XO rear der and X9 gripshifters.

Don't believe all the stories from the soft-skinned girls here Cry, you won't get any blisters on your hands. Gripshift has less things to break off when you crash, and its lighter.

You won't really go wrong with either.