Non-round rings ?

buckshot

I'm old enough to have had a 'Biopace' crankset and am amused to see elliptical coming back.

Does Bobby Julich still use them (when he doesn't crash)?

Does anyone use these at the moment?

Everything comes 'round again.

Except for elliptical chain rings which come skew again.  Sounds like time to see a good urologist.

Not only do I remember BioPace, there is a bike in my garage that has BioPace.  It's a very small but very pretty Lejeune racer that I bought for my very small mom when she thought she fancied doing some cycling.  She was wrong, but the bike was such a bargain and it was so pretty that I just don't want to sell it.  As an added bonus it is heavy enough to use as a boat anchor.

I had the mixed pleasure of borrowing a BioPace bike a few years ago.  As long as you remember to abandon any attempts at technique and ride like a fred it's fine.

Been wondering recently about 'power meters', seems to me now that everyone has a HRM they need to sell something else? Are they really necessary for anyone but seriously competitive and pro cyclists?

Guess the same with elliptical rings? Will they help average Joe/Scotty/Ewep much?

Having said that, if you can afford it, worked hard for your money and that's what you want to spend it on then what the hell go for it!

When Cashandra was down in Cape Town doing base with us we spoke about it quite a bit. I was a bit sceptical, but ordered a set, along with WorcesterWheelers and another of my team mates (2006 team) after reading a study that claimed of 5 tested riders, 4 produced 5% more power at same HR using the Qrings...

I've only done one race on them, but do feel they help even out the stroke. WW being better financially off has a PowerTap and phoned me after a few rides raving about them. On especially flatter and slight downhill sections where he used to be able to only get about 270w out, he was now easily putting down 300w. BikeMax and Bruce will tell you PowerTap's don't lie LOL

WW was so impressed he has ordered another 5 sets of Qrings for his shop. I think the recommended retail price is around 1.5k for small and big blade. A normal replacement BBB blade is around R500, so it's a small expense for decent gain in my opinion...Thumbs%20Up

I think if you use Powertap, a heart rate monitor, rotor rings and the new USN energy mutie, you will be unstoppable.

Will they help average Joe/Scotty/Ewep much?

Can't speak for scotty, but if all this new crap can get me to loose 25kg, fine, I'll pay R10000!!!!

But on the other hand, if it can store a supply of B E E R for a 4 hour race, I'll pay more!!!

BigBen, I also bought into the whole PowerMeter Hype, but it turned out not to be all Hype, I've actually gotten stronger and it's just MUCH more practical training by Power. HR is soooo 19's. Wink

The one thing I love about the PowerMeter is it lets you know imidiatly if you are recovered or not. One day you'll be doing 250Watts easy and the next you'll find it hard keeping it above 220W, then you know you need to rest. Yeah, I know you gonna say but HR does that as well, the thing is it don't , my HR on many occations are just fine but the power is not there.

Ewep - that'll be a while ................................................................ for the powermeter prices to drop that is!

Marius - I won't argue that point as I have noticed similar issues with HR but as I recall and from many other peoples comments you are a seriously competitive cyclist!

Ewep - that'll be a while ................................................................ for the powermeter prices to drop that is!

But that'll be BEFORE my weight is down, as I still have an oral fixation..................................with BEER