Bicycle on Kulula flights

The Crazy German

I would like to take my bikes(2) on a Kulula flight?

Anyone done that? Can I thrust em to handle them wih care and get em there together with me? As I would nee to catch an international flight straight after it.

any info is welcome

I have done it before. I put my bike in a bike bag and asked the lady at check-in to please label it "handle with care".  I also arranged that the bike is on the same flight as I was. My bike arrived safely and well handled. From my individual experience they were really great.

Flown with my bike loads of times with them. Had it in a sturdy bike box a few times, then I got slack and just wheeled it on. I find smiling sweetly and chatting up the guy who takes your bike works wonders. but international? I always fly with a hard case and there are tears everytime I see it again.

Maybe if the German chats up the guy in Cape town will work. If he dare chat up the guy at OR Tambo he WILL get mugged robbed pillaged and defiled!!!!!!!!!

Both WorcesterWheelers and myself flew tandems up to the H2H last month on Kulula, and they were just bubblewrapped. No damage, and they were very accomodating (I was 8kg's over the weight limit and they didn't say anything!)... Will definately use Kulula again!!

Have taken bikes often on Kulula... just wheeled on, boxed, and bike bag.

Never had a problem.  If using a soft bag, just remember to secure the front folks, so they do not take strain if something is loaded onto the bag.

Kulula Rulz......

Wow - I've always avoided flying Kulula because for some reason I was worried about them man-handling my bike.  Seems that I was wrong. Next time I'm booking Kulula.

It doesn't matter who you fly with, the baggage handling is done by ACSA.

Your chosen airline's peeps place your baggage on the conveyor and occasionally apologise to you when it gets broken or ends up in Buenos Aires or Brussels.  Everything between those two actions is out of their control.

And don't think that you can get clever by flying to Buenos Aires or Brussels.  If you fly to either of these cities, in terms of IATA regulations and the Warsaw Convention, your baggage will be misdirected to Beijing, Bangkok, Bangor (Maine) or other cities beginning with B.

Rumour has it FlyMango are charging people R200 extra to take a bike along when they fly down for Funride World Champs in March...Confused fatcyclist2007-02-08 01:56:34

Last year while on his way to the States for the annual Titus groupride, the organiser's bike dissapeared for 3 days.

It's the one in the pic below....Titus MotoLite Exogrid valued at over 70k!

Not a pleasant experience i'd imagine CryAngry

20070208_014515_untitled3.JPG

Wow!

Are there so few Tituses, erm, Titi, erm Titae....oh WTF...are there so few bikes of that brand that the only way they can get to go on a group ride is to have a worldwide get together?

Surely the can't be that unpopular can they?

It's like the owners of anything trully unique and fantastic, they want to get together with people who have a clue and share the experience. But yes up until last year only a limited number of bikes were made each year. And the custom bikes are trully to die for and limited, I think at the moment there are 3 in the country.

Hey BM....why not get together with like-minded folk and ride some of the greatest trails in the world on the greatest bikes in the world?

Ti.....you should come. You'll like. Put it this way, the largest part of the discussion while organising has centered around where to get their beer and how to get it to Whistler. Apparently you suffer severe sticker price shock if you walk into a bottle store in Canada LOL

Bikemonster it's like a convention for UFO freaks. They have to gather together to reassure each other they're not mad. smiley36.gif smiley36.gif

Hmm, it does sound like my sort of thing! I do have to try get to California in September first though, the sponsorship hunt isn't going as well as it could!

Let's not forget that at the WC Hubber's groupride in JHK in Dec we had more Titii than Cannondales!

As for quantities....although they are currently pushing their volumes up, until 05 they were pushing 2500 frames a year. Cannondale makes that in a week and Giant iin a day or two.

Good things are scarce!