Coming from USA: Cycling Routes

mamdali

My buddy and I will be visiting West and East Capes between March 8th and March 20-21st.  We will be landing in Capetown and will be making our way to Port Elizabeth to do Ironman South Africa on March 18th.   He will be racing it and I will be doing it as a long training day.

We both would like to get explicit road cycling routes between Capetwon and Port Elizabeth.  We have a car and are thinking of staying over night amy 2 places between the two and use each stop as a base for long rides and runs.  We look for mountain passes, views, shores, etc too so it doesn't have to be so cut and dry a ride and/or run route.

It would be very much appreciated if anyone can suggest towns we should stop at and also EXPLICIT ride routes from those towns or close to them.  Regardless, ANY ride routes in those two regions will be very helpful.  We're both pretty fit athletes so please feel free to suggest long and hilly rides in addition to the rolling hills or flatter ones.  Any of these or a combination would be great. 

We are totally in your hands so any pointer will be of enormous help.

Warm Regards,

Mo

New York City

USA

look for argus cycle tour on the internet and take that route + an extra loop into the nature reserve to go and see Cape point maybe include ou kaapse weg as an extra. 120 up till 170 depending on chosen extra's

Do four Passes as it says with four climbs Stellenbosch, heels hoogte franschoek, franshoek pass grabouw strand stellenbosch about 150 I think.

From Knysna cycle out towards plettenberg bay and then into Tsitsikamma park and back would be a nice 140 or so.

Knysna -Geogre- outaniqua pass and back.

just some idea's added the rough map follow the coloured line hill's climbs are the white crosses

1 20070209_134552_cape-peninsula-.gif

20070209_134625_cape-winelands-.gif

20070209_134646_george-knysna2.jpg

20070209_134733_tsitsikamma-map.gif
The Crazy German2007-02-09 13:48:47

PM me if you'd like GPS tracks/routes in *.GPX format for rides in the areas you're interested in. I can do jpegs if you haven't got a GPS. I can also put you in touch with our club members (Celtic Harriers, Cape Town, www.mpceltics.com) who are training for Iron Man.

I appreciate all tghis information.  Extremely useful.  To pursure further which towns between Capetown and Port Elizabeth are recommended as good 'base' points (we can stop and stay for the night and ride from there)?

Thanks,

Mo

NYC

• 2 weeks later...

You assume correctly! You could give the Park House in Mossel Bay a try. You will find your bike(s) welcome there. Furthermore M Bay is halfway between PE in the Eastern Cape, and Cape Town.

I assume there are hotels or places to stay in those towns?

Google should turn up a large variety of hotels, guesthouses and b&b's.

Mamdali go to www.route62.co.za this site give all accomodation on this route between Cape and Port Elizabeth. my suggestion would be to drive to Montagu - train in and around that area - then onto Oudtshoorn - train in and around that area - then onto Plett/Knysna - train in and around the area and then a final push to PE. 

• 2 weeks later...

Of the various areas on the ocean between Capetown and Port Elizabeth which are most conducive to swimming (as in putting in a mile or two of freestyle in prep for Ironman South Africa)?

Thanks!

Shhhh Amoryns...don't scare the poor American away. Wink

Let them find out about the elephants, lions and other wild beasts pesterring us while we hunt for food to feed our families when they get here. LOL

Hey, you two, stop scaring the "customers". Everybody knows the African Elephant, Lion and Wildebeest don't bite. That's why htey make such great pets.

Anyway, most of the town from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth have good beaches.

Just don't go into the water when you get to the beach' date=' LOTS of Great White Sharks!!![/quote']

Make give them some good interval training Wink