construction du Cap 99'er

FanieFiets

Toe ek in die strand opstaan was dit eintlik 'n great dag sonder enige reen en wind.  Maar die lurking wolke was daar en dit was net 'n matter of time voor dit weer sou begin reen.

Was 'n moeilike besluit of ek gaan ry of nie, maar omdat daar net reen (liggies) en nie wind was nie het ek maar besluit om dit aan te durf. 

Een probleem met die start was dat hulle vroeg begin het.  Ek het amper my start gemis en daar het 'n C's ons groep gejoin omdat hulle hulle s'n gemis het. Hulle het D/E saam begin en ek het geweet dat dit vinnig gaan wees.

Ek is op die einde baie bly dat ek gery het. Was verseker een van die beste organiseerde rides wat ek al gery het. Die goodie bag was ook beter as gewoonlik en het 'n paar lekker snacks in gehad.  Meeste marshalls wat ek al gesien het en almal was baie vriendelik. Snaaks genoeg was die pad nie so boring soos gewoonlik nie en ek het dit nogal geniet.

Lang storie kort: Dit het eerste 45 km of so gereen wat soms soos bullets gevoel het. Daarna het die son uitgekom en die weer was heerlik. Ek het verskriklik baie pap wiele gesien, shame. Daar was ook 'n moerse crash in die D/E groep so 30 km voor die einde. Weet iemand wat die skade was? Dit het nie goed gelyk nie, met 'n paar ouens wat bly le het.

Die ander baie baie weird ding was die race se tye.

A groep het gevlieg. Hulle wen tyd was 6 minute korter as laas jaar se race. Daarna het die vets 'n 3 uur race gery wat ook goed is.

Dan is die tye vir die B, C, D/E groep omtrent gelyk, so 3:19/3:20. Met die D/E groep wat se tye bietjie beter as B en C s'n is. Behalwe 'n paar ouens in B wat weggebreek het.  Toe kom Groep F in. Hulle tye is toe 3:16 vir die eerste groep wat redelik vinnig is. Vinniger as B, C en D/E. Was vir my baie weird.

Kan iemand vir my verduidelik hoe dit gebeur want die laer groepe is mos veronderstel om vinniger as die later groepe te ry.
FanieFiets2007-02-11 05:05:59

Dankie Poison Ivy:

Elites:

1. A Hannachi (CSC/Marcello)

2. David Garrett (Pinnacle Point Holdings)

3. Erik Kleinhans (Maties Edu Loan)

Vets:

1. Guy Le Ray Cook (Swifts)

2. Graig Gerber (Pinnacle Point Holdings)

3. Andre Liebetrau

Tandems:

1. Carthy & Petrus Carstens (Mixed and overall)

2. Fatty and Colonel Clap

Ladies:

1. Jenny Stenerhag

2. Kelly Tome

3. Jane Seggie

I must concur with FanieFiets. 

As a fun-rider it was a well organised race, plenty signposting along the route and more than adequate water points. 

Road-side marshalling was great as well as the mobile marshalling done by PPA marshals. 

Finish line organisation was also very good.  Best organised coke que to date!

With the rain and all, it was a great day. 

Regards

casspir

I woke up got dressed, ate my ProNutro, mixed my bottles, got my bike out and went outside to ride the 3k's to the start. At that very moment the heavens opened and I promptly turned around and went back to bed. Four of my mates did exactly the same thing as they all live in the Durbanville area. 

My theory is that the bad weather only stops the local riders from starting as the ones who have to drive to get  to the start, can'd be bothered to go all the way back home just because it rains!  The other reason is that the 99er is boring plus we had a wet Winelands and a wet 94.7, so another one was just too much.

Went on a bunch ride in the afternoon instead with aformentioned buddies and had a tough, character building ride into the wind. Plus I got to wear my hard earned B group 99er number !  Yes, I know it's sad, but dammit, I earned it!

Also bought the T-shirt, which prolly jinxed my ride...

weather wasn't so bad. can't understand why they started D/E together. it cocked everything up. results are also incorrect. they have the womens time slower than mine but i was ? 1 min behind them. regards the times, theres no incentive to ride any faster than what the bunch is capable of. i rode a 3.19 2 years ago (very windy if i remember) , did not ride last year as i was sick, rode a 3.19 again this year

Think the Construction du Cap must now be recognised as the best organised event in the <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Cape. Prize money is quite good, lucky draws are excellent, the marshalling, registration, everything is tops.  My only concern is that it needs to get bigger still.  We need another race besides the Cape Argus to draw some top girls, vets & elite teams from up county.  The Burger Sanlam threatened to do so, but it never quite materialised.  Why can't we get sponsors in the Cape to really put down some propper prize money?

I had a great race. Wet, little wind though.   I see my name as part of the "B-bunch-break-away" which is wrong. I finished with the bunch. Only one guy got away as far as I know. Searching for some of my mates that finished very close to me, I noted a huge mistake and possible problem - they have a lot of the B guys in the V group. The times range from sub 3 to 3:20 something.  Not all the guys of the "V" starting group belongs in B though.. It should be very interresiting to see how they sort this one out.

Klomp ouens by D/E ook weg. hulle se ons 2 groepe saam was net 21 mense!!!!!!!

Bietjie sleg dat 'n Argus seeding event se tyd verkeerd gevat word.........
FanieFiets2007-02-11 09:14:44

Klomp ouens by D/E ook weg. hulle se ons 2 groepe saam was net 21 mense!!!!!!!

Bietjie sleg dat 'n Argus seeding event se tyd verkeerd gevat word.........

It will get sorted out. They post the "raw" results on the day so that all of us who rush home can get our fix. Then during the week the iron out all the creases.

I had a great race. Wet' date=' little wind though.   I see my name as part of the "B-bunch-break-away" which is wrong. I finished with the bunch. Only one guy got away as far as I know. Searching for some of my mates that finished very close to me, I noted a huge mistake and possible problem - they have a lot of the B guys in the V group. The times range from sub 3 to 3:20 something.  Not all the guys of the "V" starting group belongs in B though.. It should be very interresiting to see how they sort this one out.[/quote']

Hi Bertus

You did a great race! Well done, Clap You rode very strong!

Pity i could not be there at the finish but thats cycling (puncture 20km out)

Weather truned out okay in the end, the start was miserable and i think i might have an eye infection from all that water that sprayed up into my face from the tarmac - Hail at one point Dead

Just one point, Apart from Bertus, myself and a handfull of others, nobody in that B group is willing to work. The pace was nowhere near anything fast so u guys cannot tell me that u were struggling. Come work at the front, that way we can improve

Otherwise, great ride (apart from punctures) Tongue

Trust me, even colonel and myself were contemplating not starting, but eventually we knew the hubbers would rag us to bits so we took the bull by the horns and rode it like real men! Almost missed the tandem start!

I was impressed with the event this year, and it was great to see the organiser taking all the comments and suggestions and turning out a great event!!

(still can't believe we got beaten on the line by a girl!!!!)

Guest colonel

I havent slept since Saturday night cause of it..........

I cried myself to sleep...

Feel sorry for BikeMax. He and Nick have ridden together before and they are lighter than we are, and yet we still beat them as well!!