Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

I cycle from Plattekloof, Panarama Hospital through Milnerton to Cape Town and back. Not on a set time table. At all Hours. Yes you need to be aware off any Dangers. That said, I have not had much trouble besides the Drunken in the Road. John

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ride early weekday mornings from work in the city back home on Albert Road - no worries Bru - just give a friendly "Awe my brutjie EKse hoe lyk it?" and the local tikboys and girls will giggle in their special passion gap kinda way.

Guest Frail4Life

Just got put in Hospital for stitches. Riding behind a Truck, got hit with rocks onto my shins / legs. Managed to keep balance and not fall into the path of traffic. David

20100505_164410_Image0005.giffrail2010-05-05 16:44:17

• 1 month later...

Eina, trucks in general piss me off the way they drop stones and all types of **** on the roads

• 3 months later...

Hectic Frail! I'm sure you all healed by now. Those truckers should check their load before moving off, but a lot don't.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

N7 just past the dump site entrance.

van schoorsdrift road , if you ride from the n7, at the spot where the gum trees end.

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone,

Just received this mail from a good friend, who came across a mugging incident 3 weekends ago but was just too late to make use of his stun gun ;)

A few weeks ago I was lucky enough to be 3 riders away from some muggers but arrived as the cyclists were chasing the 3 muggers away.

Be aware when riding on Rhodes Mem and look out when passing the hotspot I indicated with the orange circle. If you don't they will be running down the hill following the yellow arrow with your valuables.

post-3655-0-40537900-1314702334.jpg

It's also a good idea to take down the number shown on the sign in the photo in case of an emergency (0861 106417)

The hotspot in question is that cement stream crossing just after passing the lone set of trees on your way up, following the lower contour path. The stream ravine was used as the escape route, apparently the fence on the N2 was pulled down.

Stay sharp everyone!

• 6 months later...

Strand and Gordons Bay

I was attacked, on Saturday morning 5:50am, by 2 guys hiding under the trees in a bushy area just before the robot at the Caltex Garage in Strand riding towards Gordons Bay.

They are ruthless and throw cyclist with rocks to the head and once you”out” steal your bike and all your valuables.

Apparently after chatting to some petrol attendants at the Caltex, I was informed that this is a regular occurrence.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, everyone!

Don't know if I'm asking in the right thread (or in the right forum), so sorry if I'm totally off-topicing...

I'm travelling next week to Cape Town for business (for a week) and I should have a couple of days off, as well. I'm planning to hire a road bike and do one (or two) longer ride(s). I looked up a route from bikemap.net, and it looks like this.

Is cycling alone on that route (probably in the morning, on Sat, Sun or Tue) safe? I mean crime-wise, I'm quite used to watching out for cars.

I understand that safety in CT varies significantly between areas, but having never been there, I have no clue what so ever, which areas are which..

Thanks a lot in advance for any tips!

Edited by thetourist

Just got put in Hospital for stitches. Riding behind a Truck, got hit with rocks onto my shins / legs. Managed to keep balance and not fall into the path of traffic. David

20100505_164410_Image0005.giffrail2010-05-05 16:44:17

The lesson for you is (drum roll)......do not ride behind truck, that is a danger place to ride...not just in Cape Town.

As to danger zones ... dear old Giempie Street. Wish they'd knock that whole area down personally. Got 'jacked there, luckily without personal harm - but the cops at Woodstock tation know that you have to go to "The Queen of Giempie Street" and it cost me R10 to get the bike back. Nowadays I ride back along De Waal Drive, then down Roedebloem onto Main Road to get to Rondebosch - adds lots of extra time but it's more attractive and the road's surprisingly wide.

Ok I confess to ignorance.

Where or What is Giempie Street.

:) :)

.........Is cycling alone on that route (probably in the morning, on Sat, Sun or Tue) safe? I mean crime-wise, I'm quite used to watching out for cars.

I understand that safety in CT varies significantly between areas, but having never been there, I have no clue what so ever, which areas are which.........

Yes, the Argys route is quite safe from a crime point of view. The first part of it is unfortunately not open to cycling (except on race day), but the best part from Muisenberg, around Cape Point Scarborough, Noordhoek, Hout Bay and on to Green Point is the best part anyway. Saturday or Sunday, as early as possible after it is light enough, is the best time for the quiet roads, beautiful sunrise and the spectacular views.

Google iRide for bike rental, and advice/help. They cater for exactly what you want to do. They rent good quality bikes and also offer transport and back-up. You can also put up a post asking for locals to join you, Capetonians are often willing to do that.

I hope you have a wonderful time. It is one of the most beautiful coastal rides in the world.

Edited by DJR

Hi, everyone!

Don't know if I'm asking in the right thread (or in the right forum), so sorry if I'm totally off-topicing...

I'm travelling next week to Cape Town for business (for a week) and I should have a couple of days off, as well. I'm planning to hire a road bike and do one (or two) longer ride(s). I looked up a route from bikemap.net, and it looks like this.

Is cycling alone on that route (probably in the morning, on Sat, Sun or Tue) safe? I mean crime-wise, I'm quite used to watching out for cars.

I understand that safety in CT varies significantly between areas, but having never been there, I have no clue what so ever, which areas are which..

Thanks a lot in advance for any tips!

Most of that route is fine.....EXCEPT the first section from the city, as the Argus runs on the highway, and you'd have to ride through CBD, Salt River, Woodstock, Plumbstead and Retreat.....areas I would advise against.

Rather head out along the coast along beach rd. This will take you around the pininsula too, then pop over Red hill, from Simons town side, turn right at the bottom back toward CT and you will have a really good long ride.

Or just ride out and back.

Send me a PM if you want more info for when you get here.