Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hubregistry-38216-0-61421500-1464034634.

How/when was this photo taken? At the time of jacking with a go pro? He doesn't seem to be holding a weapon?

Somebody saw him at Woodstock bus station and thought he looked suspect with the bike ,asked security at the bus stop for help ,when this guy went for his pocket .This pic seems to have been taken near Salt river circle 

Somebody saw him at Woodstock bus station and thought he looked suspect with the bike ,asked security at the bus stop for help ,when this guy went for his pocket .This pic seems to have been taken near Salt river circle 

Hectic. So he got away that day?  :cursing:

The highway route is actually not so bad. There is a single track on the green strip from the middle harbour entrance right to Paarden Island. Adding a bit of fun to the commute, avoiding the trucks and the pricks :)

Is it ok to use the single track to go into town in the mornings too? Or is it safer to go with the traffic flow on the other side?

Not sure which is the safest option into town:

a) hijack alley (the cycle lane)

b) single track (against the traffic)

c) N1 (with the traffic)

:unsure:

Is it ok to use the single track to go into town in the mornings too? Or is it safer to go with the traffic flow on the other side?

c) N1 (with the traffic)

Single track against the traffic. You are never physically riding on the N1.

c) N1 (with the traffic)

Very apt   " HIJACK ALLEY "

Heading into town I take hi jack alley in the mornings.

Most of the incidents have occurred in the afternoon

In the afternoon I take the N1 leaving town

Rather than let the criminals drive us off the path why don't we stand together and remove the opportunity by riding together on the path. I often wait on either side of the dodgy area until another cyclist comes along. If everyone waited or tagged onto someone on the approach then there would be no opportunities to attack us. The bigger the group the better. Obviously this wont work at strange hours.

Rather than let the criminals drive us off the path why don't we stand together and remove the opportunity by riding together on the path. I often wait on either side of the dodgy area until another cyclist comes along. If everyone waited or tagged onto someone on the approach then there would be no opportunities to attack us. The bigger the group the better. Obviously this wont work at strange hours.

Recently that group of 10 riders were still attacked near Fisantekraal. 

Don't let numbers fool you. 

Recently that group of 10 riders were still attacked near Fisantekraal. 

Don't let numbers fool you. 

I don't think you can compare a rural area next to a BIG semi informal settlement to the situation on the short dodgy area on my city route. All incidents on this route were, as far as I have seen, on solo riders. All I am saying is by staying away from the route during times when there are other riders there, you are letting the criminals own the area and making the risk higher for other riders.

This morning I had to take my car into work. At about 0555 there was a guy on an MTB taking the Lower Church Street off exit (Southbound) with no lights and no reflective clothing that I could see.

Possible lamp/battery failures, who knows.

At that time there's a lot of high speed lane swapping as the traffic is still moving smoothly.

As the previous few posts have been (once again) talking about safety on the cycle lane, I thought I'd mention the above as I was wondering about the odds of being flattened by a car or attacked on the cycle path at around the same hour of the day i.e. sometime before 0600.

I'd take the cycle path any day, which I do most days anytime between 0500 and 0600 and between 1500 and 1600.

I'm not a believer in any type of fate so I'll say it: "I've never had a problem". But I'm sorry for those who have had traumatic experiences.

There's been plenty of dodgy looking characters sharing the pathway but I've been lucky enough to not have been troubled.

As a caveat, I join the path at Paarden Eiland Road after riding along Service Road and on the way home leave the path at the same point but join Marine Drive at Neptune Street instead of riding along Service Road.

However my main point is what the hell are you doing riding with no lights on a busy intersection before sunrise?

You should regularly check your lights with a glance and if you can't see your rear light flash reflecting against your tyre/frame it's either failed or not bright enough.

Oh and those who ride against the traffic southbound on Marine Drive (apart from being Darwin Award candidates) I'll bet you had a shock this morning.

Apologies if that's a little ranty, but I was seriously worried for the guy's safety this morning.

Oh and those who ride against the traffic southbound on Marine Drive (apart from being Darwin Award candidates) I'll bet you had a shock this morning.

Why would they have gotten a shock, did I miss something?

This morning I had to take my car into work. At about 0555 there was a guy on an MTB taking the Lower Church Street off exit (Southbound) with no lights and no reflective clothing that I could see.

Possible lamp/battery failures, who knows.

At that time there's a lot of high speed lane swapping as the traffic is still moving smoothly.

As the previous few posts have been (once again) talking about safety on the cycle lane, I thought I'd mention the above as I was wondering about the odds of being flattened by a car or attacked on the cycle path at around the same hour of the day i.e. sometime before 0600.

I'd take the cycle path any day, which I do most days anytime between 0500 and 0600 and between 1500 and 1600.

I'm not a believer in any type of fate so I'll say it: "I've never had a problem". But I'm sorry for those who have had traumatic experiences.

There's been plenty of dodgy looking characters sharing the pathway but I've been lucky enough to not have been troubled.

As a caveat, I join the path at Paarden Eiland Road after riding along Service Road and on the way home leave the path at the same point but join Marine Drive at Neptune Street instead of riding along Service Road.

However my main point is what the hell are you doing riding with no lights on a busy intersection before sunrise?

You should regularly check your lights with a glance and if you can't see your rear light flash reflecting against your tyre/frame it's either failed or not bright enough.

Apologies if that's a little ranty, but I was seriously worried for the guy's safety this morning.

why do you use the service road in Paarden Eiland? There haven't been any issues on the cycle path through PE have there? That service road is no place for a cyclist - narrow, no shoulder, trucks, idiots, etc.

I used to have an office and storage unit off the service road. So it was the easiest route, also, very early morning the service road is fine. Later in the morning and for the rest of the day, it's as you say, no place for a cyclist.

I don't believe there's been any issues on that section of the cycle way.

If I ride any later than 0600 which is not often, I'll use the complete cycle path starting at PE.