Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

Planning on doing another early morning ride tomorrow:

https://www.strava.com/routes/9191994

Could you guys perhaps give feedback on the route in terms of safety because I'll be riding alone?

I am familiar with all the roads, except for the M68, Malanshoogte Rd/Adderley Rd and the M13.

Edited by Andrew_Smith

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Planning on doing another early morning ride tomorrow:

https://www.strava.com/routes/9191994

Could you guys perhaps give feedback on the route in terms of safety because I'll be riding alone?

I am familiar with all the roads, except for the M68, Malanshoogte Rd/Adderley Rd and the M13.

Watch out for a few agricultural trucks, construction trucks and/or dairy trucks. So, light up.

Otherwise, I've done that route often before sunrise without incident.

Watch out for a few agricultural trucks, construction trucks and/or dairy trucks. So, light up.

Otherwise, I've done that route often before sunrise without incident.

Sweet, thanks for the heads up Dale. I managed to get my riding partner to join with. Looking forward to the session.

Not a cyclist but from a climbing form,

Hikers mugged Silvermine Sunday 18th.

Just a heads up... I was mugged in Silvermine yesterday, Sunday 18 June at around 1:30pm on the trail between Elephants Eye and the Sentinel Viewpoint. The trail was busy with many other people about. As I turned to head back I was suddenly surrounded by 3 men who came out of nowhere. They demanded I give them my bag. They were armed with a very large knife and so I dropped my bag and ran away. The only thing of “value” was my iPhone, which was locked and so useless to them.

I caught up with a couple that were ahead of me and they told me that they had also been mugged. The lady was wearing her engagement ring and both were wearing their wedding bands. They were an older couple and had never removed the wedding rings for nearly 50 years. The lady told me she was struggling to get her ring off and the muggers threatened to cut off her finger if she did not get it off. Luckily she did! They also took their phones and wallets, but did not want anything else in their bags.

I have been walking this path every week for nearly a year and this is the first time I have come across any issues. Strangely enough it was the first time I have ever seen rangers in this area as well. I had passed them as I was hiking up the trail. After speaking with the other couple who were also mugged, I then ran about a kilometer to the rangers and signaled for help. They radioed various other ranger teams to hopefully catch them as they had headed over the mountain to the Hout Bay side. Unfortunately it seems they were unsuccessful in catching them.

Glad no-one was hurt, poor couple. Sad this is happening.... sadly makes me think twice about going certain places. 

Not a cyclist but from a climbing form,
Hikers mugged Silvermine Sunday 18th.

Just a heads up... I was mugged in Silvermine yesterday, Sunday 18 June at around 1:30pm on the trail between Elephants Eye and the Sentinel Viewpoint. The trail was busy with many other people about. As I turned to head back I was suddenly surrounded by 3 men who came out of nowhere. They demanded I give them my bag. They were armed with a very large knife and so I dropped my bag and ran away. The only thing of “value” was my iPhone, which was locked and so useless to them.

I caught up with a couple that were ahead of me and they told me that they had also been mugged. The lady was wearing her engagement ring and both were wearing their wedding bands. They were an older couple and had never removed the wedding rings for nearly 50 years. The lady told me she was struggling to get her ring off and the muggers threatened to cut off her finger if she did not get it off. Luckily she did! They also took their phones and wallets, but did not want anything else in their bags.

I have been walking this path every week for nearly a year and this is the first time I have come across any issues. Strangely enough it was the first time I have ever seen rangers in this area as well. I had passed them as I was hiking up the trail. After speaking with the other couple who were also mugged, I then ran about a kilometer to the rangers and signaled for help. They radioed various other ranger teams to hopefully catch them as they had headed over the mountain to the Hout Bay side. Unfortunately it seems they were unsuccessful in catching them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone down in Cape Town,

Im visiting Cape Town (Kirstenhof area) for the whole of next week, and not knowing the area at all, where would it be safe to do some mountain biking in and around that area?

Open to all suggestions, even to join up with some groups if there are any available?

Looking forward to the suggestions.. 

Hi Everyone down in Cape Town,

Im visiting Cape Town (Kirstenhof area) for the whole of next week, and not knowing the area at all, where would it be safe to do some mountain biking in and around that area?

Open to all suggestions, even to join up with some groups if there are any available?

Looking forward to the suggestions.. 

Easy to ride up to Tokai (over the weekend only) from there along the new cycle lanes up Tokai Road.  That would be my number 1 suggestion.  

Easy to ride up to Tokai (over the weekend only) from there along the new cycle lanes up Tokai Road.  That would be my number 1 suggestion.  

Thank you so much!!

And during the weekdays, which parks could i gain access to, and get some riding done safely enough?

Thank you so much!!

And during the weekdays, which parks could i gain access to, and get some riding done safely enough?

You could go along the greenbelts (starts in Tokai) all the way up to Kirstenbosch and then on to the block house / table mountain.  That's about all that's on your doorstep - anything else will need a bit of a drive.