Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

A year or so ago two women were attacked in Tokai Rd, close to the latest incident. One was knocked off her bike and the perp fled with it. The other woman fought off her attacker and then chased the fleeing one down on her bike before tackling him off the stolen bike. You've gotta love women like that. :thumbup:  :clap:

hahahaha I pity the fool who tries to mug my missus... At 1.86m tall with advanced yoga strength whippyness and proper boer genes she will drop kick his ass so hard. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it the Unfortunate person that gets Targeted not a "Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris" type of Cyclist?

These Thugs need to be Taught a Lesson in Life.

Just Saying out Loud

Two problems I foresee:

- even Chuck may find it difficult to do what he does in cabon soled, cleat fitted cycling shoes

- most attacks rely on the element of surprise, and hitting the deck winds most or even breaks a bone or two before you can respond

That said, you thought has my full support in theory. :)

Just received a 'whatsapp' (with no date) about a stabbing and bike taken from at the Steenberg circle this morning, but it's probably the above attack which happened on Saturday, .... with the msg being forwarded?

I have not commuted since the start of lockdown, as our staff are all working from home. 

The frequency of attacks seems to be getting higher?

Makes me anxious about getting on the bike again at 5:30am once the office opens up again.

We stopped to assist the guy on Saturday.  He was attacked with a panga by two guys and pushed off his bike.  He broke his leg and sustained some cuts buy was not stabbed.  Another guy who stopped to help said he was running there the previous day (Friday) and was also attacked by two guys.

A friend of mine assisted a woman this morning who was attacked in the same spot and bike taken. I do not know if she was stabbed though.  I also received a forwarded message about an attack, but doesn't say anything about a stabbing.

Either way, these attacks are getting out of control.

Sad - should be such an easy area to police too... All they really need is a good quality camera on that little path through the bushes that is most likely the escape route for these guys (and many other criminals in the area). Once you have pics of the guys, put up a few hundred posters with the pics offering a R10k reward for their arrest - probably take about 3 minutes to get them.

hahahaha I pity the fool who tries to mug my missus... At 1.86m tall with advanced yoga strength whippyness and proper boer genes she will drop kick his ass so hard. 

sounds like you are speaking from experience here Chewie :P

Just received a 'whatsapp' (with no date) about a stabbing and bike taken from at the Steenberg circle this morning, but it's probably the above attack which happened on Saturday, .... with the msg being forwarded?

I have not commuted since the start of lockdown, as our staff are all working from home. 

The frequency of attacks seems to be getting higher?

Makes me anxious about getting on the bike again at 5:30am once the office opens up again.

Pleased you know about this, thought of you and T. Be careful

Hi All

On Wednesday, the 3 June 2020 at 6:30am, I was mugged on Riverside, Pinelands. 4 Guys in a silver Etios, one with a gun, accosted me, taking my Scott, heart rate monitor and cell. I didn’t resist the attack, which I think contributed to not being physically attacked.

I must compliment the Pinelands SAP. After a long walk home, I called Delta Patrol. They arrived within 10 minutes. A detective an hour later. And the psychologist phoned earlier the next day. There have been follow ups since then too.

I got the replacement phone yesterday, hence not reporting this earlier.

This happened on a route that I have cycled alone for more than 20 years. Non the less I believe that we need to be cautious when cycling.

Take care and keep safe.

<name removed>

got this, this morning

got this, this morning

That "mobile" hijacking and mugging scenario is one I dread seeing entrenched, I've seen more and more reports of it happening.

It means you can be in a "safe" area and/or fully aware and cautious of what's going on around you and there's zero you can do to avoid a car stopping out of the blue and muggers hopping out and pillaging you.

I saw a video of it happening to a lady on foot, it happens so quickly there is absolutely nothing you can do other than not be on the road, ie you are a sitting duck no matter what precautions you take.

That "mobile" hijacking and mugging scenario is one I dread seeing entrenched, I've seen more and more reports of it happening.

It means you can be in a "safe" area and/or fully aware and cautious of what's going on around you and there's zero you can do to avoid a car stopping out of the blue and muggers hopping out and pillaging you.

I saw a video of it happening to a lady on foot, it happens so quickly there is absolutely nothing you can do other than not be on the road, ie you are a sitting duck no matter what precautions you take.

And all the more now with social distancing and the likelihood of solo riding. :(

And all the more now with social distancing and the likelihood of solo riding. :(

It's becoming a case of ride in groups or Go Zwift - and not everyone has the 2nd option.

So, while certain people vilify riding in groups, I say 'safety in numbers' (with buffs on of course  :ph34r: ). It's the only way you can be cautious or more careful.

The key is to ride in groups, nobody going to jump you then.

We had a savage mugged 1/2 way up du toits kloof pass last weekend.

a56301903aff6478f68bdb60308c68b3.jpg

There was the incident when the Jafmed DC group got jumped targeting the last riders in a paceline, but yeah, more than likely the exception.

Now to find the balance between groups and social distancing. :(

Edited by Thomo