Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

The more determined thieves get, the less it matters what you try to do to stop them. Sad days.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The more determined thieves get, the less it matters what you try to do to stop them. Sad days.

Yep, they just move a bit further down the road

post-615-0-29643000-1592482078_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This is my first post on the Hub, and sadly it's to warn others that I was mugged next to Hout Bay Road as it passes IY yesterday. I was riding alone (mistake) on my mtb next to the road, but on the upper side of the road (i.e. IY side) heading towards the neck. I passed a large bush (which is about 30m away from main road) but in a very open area and lots of cars passing on the road. Immediately as I passed the bush (about size of VW Van) I noticed two guys 10m ahead of me. I knew exactly what was happening and tried to get away but they tackled me off my bike. I fell on top of the one guy, who got out underneath me in a flash. My first instinct was to look for a weapon and I couldn't see anything on any of them, so I started fighting back, mostly kicking whilst maintaining a death grip on my bike. They yelled at me to "be still" and I could feel them searching my back pocket. When I realized they weren't after my bike I stopped resisting and told them they could have my phone (I ride with a crappy 5 year old phone which I luckily wiped clean on Friday). We all kinda got up together and they wanted to take my watch, but I jumped on my bike and rode off. The whole thing lasted less than a minute from getting knocked down to riding away. I didn't suffer any injuries and still had about 15kms riding to get home (up and over Constantia neck). This is the first time that I have ever been mugged/robbed and don't wish the experience on anyone. It has shaken me up a bit and will definitely be a LOT more careful about where I ride. The reason for posting this is simply to warn other cyclist of where this happened so that they can avoid the same stretch of road passing IY, or if you must ride there stay on the northern side of the road (where the getaway option for a robber is significantly less).

This is just sickening!

Glad you're physically unscathed.

Welcome to the Hub and thanks for sharing.

Sorry to hear, not nice going through something like this! I know how it feels from first hand experience. Glad however that you are alright????

Sorry to hear about that Stephan - glad that you are unhurt and all that you lost was an old phone. I am sure that you still feel shaken up and angry though.

A mate of mine had a close encounter on Kenilworth Main Rd this morning while riding to the meeting point. 2 guys walked out into the road and tried to get him to slow down, but he stood up to pedal and screamed at them. They got a fright and backed down while he sprinted off. 

I think he owns all the KOMS in the area now...

This is my first post on the Hub, and sadly it's to warn others that I was mugged next to Hout Bay Road as it passes IY yesterday. I was riding alone (mistake) on my mtb next to the road, but on the upper side of the road (i.e. IY side) heading towards the neck. I passed a large bush (which is about 30m away from main road) but in a very open area and lots of cars passing on the road. Immediately as I passed the bush (about size of VW Van) I noticed two guys 10m ahead of me. I knew exactly what was happening and tried to get away but they tackled me off my bike. I fell on top of the one guy, who got out underneath me in a flash. My first instinct was to look for a weapon and I couldn't see anything on any of them, so I started fighting back, mostly kicking whilst maintaining a death grip on my bike. They yelled at me to "be still" and I could feel them searching my back pocket. When I realized they weren't after my bike I stopped resisting and told them they could have my phone (I ride with a crappy 5 year old phone which I luckily wiped clean on Friday). We all kinda got up together and they wanted to take my watch, but I jumped on my bike and rode off. The whole thing lasted less than a minute from getting knocked down to riding away. I didn't suffer any injuries and still had about 15kms riding to get home (up and over Constantia neck). This is the first time that I have ever been mugged/robbed and don't wish the experience on anyone. It has shaken me up a bit and will definitely be a LOT more careful about where I ride. The reason for posting this is simply to warn other cyclist of where this happened so that they can avoid the same stretch of road passing IY, or if you must ride there stay on the northern side of the road (where the getaway option for a robber is significantly less).

Glad you walked out of that "ok" ..... 

This is sickening to read how often this is happening now.  I posted on the Pretoria safety thread as one of my friends was attacked yesterday.  Luckily they failed and he got away unscathed and nothing stolen.

Glad you are ok Stephan – thanks for sharing the details of the event with everyone. I know each attack differs, but it helps others to try and make sense and learn from it e.g. ever growing list of hotspot locations to try and avoid. Thankfully you weren’t harmed and manage to escape without any major injuries and your bike.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe one of the savages got robbed of his bike in Claremont this morning.

He stopped at a red Traffic light and two scumbags stepped off the sidewalk, knifes in hand, and robbed him of his bike. He beat a hasty retreat, but they still chased him for a few meters to try and get his phone. He got away unscathed, minus his Cannondale Supersix Evo. 

Moral of the story: Don't stop at red traffic lights, lest you get mugged.

He stopped at a red Traffic light and two scumbags stepped off the sidewalk, knifes in hand, and robbed him of his bike. He beat a hasty retreat, but they still chased him for a few meters to try and get his phone. He got away unscathed, minus his Cannondale Supersix Evo. 

Oogghhhhh, no! :cursing:

Also, Don't ride alone

(I imagine that he was riding from home to meet up with other Savages)

Sad that this thread is becoming "popular" again!

ADMIN:

This may have already been asked or exists somewhere else...how about having a live map somewhere that links incident reports of either muggings or attacks and displays the location/position with a short mouse-over description such as Date Time Event etc so this can be used when planning rides? Is it possible? It will then give a really good idea of hotspots.....