Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the kind words.  I wont stop cycling, rather just make a lifestyle change.  Instead of doing what i really want to do - which is commute - i will wake up earlier, cycle out and back from home on a safe route, then burn the planet up faster by commuting to work in my car.  There are many people in our country much worse off than they were before Covid-19 came around.  If my stolen possessions can be generate some cash, and that cash used to buy basic necessities, then i am happy with the trade, nothwithstanding the fact the trade was done at gunpoint. 

Sorry to hear about this. As a resident of the Kenilworth Wynberg area and on crime prevention message groups, its clear the area around there is not safe at all. There was a gun point mugging just up from the bridge yesterday and there are weekly incidents of muggings of local residents and domestic workers in the area. The full time ADT patrollers in their  vehicle have their hands full...

Looks familiar

Like how you asked them to please focus on the stem area...just to remove any doubt of just how slammed it is. So slammed in fact...that it is pushing the earth down

• 2 weeks later...

From what I read about attacks on the Spruit up in Jo'burg, my impression of bike thieves (rightly or wrongly) is "desperate lone criminals - possibly hungry & possibly on drugs - grabbing a bike and escaping through a hole in a fence".

Down in CPT is seems much more organised - a small car or a bakkie with multiple well armed occupants.....

Of course it makes little difference to the victim :-(  

Hey, this is quite a big worry for me as well!

I often go riding there.

The only thing that used to worry me was the Zebras that made me have to back track twice.

Seems like I will have to arrange group rides there now.

I am not really going to feel safe with two people will have to get three now.

Where exactly on the course did the mugging take place?

I have even been riding there in the dark a few times with a light, (winter rides) thats kinda out the window now.

oh well, now the big question

Dodge taxis with my road bike

or

potentially get attacked while mtbing

mmmmmm...........

Hi.

I live in Somerset West and have been riding Grabouw trails solo at night for years.

I feel safer riding solo at night than in the day time TBH.  I steer away from the loop that takes you close to the location though.

All the gangsters are tikking when the sun goes down.

Also got mugged behind High Riding @ knife point, on my to Ongegund trails many years ago.

Is there much sand on the Koeberg trails?

Seems like no where is safe anymore.

From what I read about attacks on the Spruit up in Jo'burg, my impression of bike thieves (rightly or wrongly) is "desperate lone criminals - possibly hungry & possibly on drugs - grabbing a bike and escaping through a hole in a fence".

Down in CPT is seems much more organised - a small car or a bakkie with multiple well armed occupants.....

Of course it makes little difference to the victim :-(  

joburg and durban arent nearly the bike hell cpt has become .. i have no worries riding my bike in joburg .. more worried id run out of talent . have never worried about being BIKE HI-JACKED HERE in joburg ... never. its snooze u lose in jhb not an army of thugs coming at u for your bike. cpt is ridiculous .

Dear Imaanm Hassen Walele

am so sorry to hear about what happened to your son.  It is with relief that i read that no physical harm came of him.

Please post pics of the bike.  Always good to have extra eyes looking out.

Ja right under wetton bridge where Belper Road goes into a dead end.  While i might have had my guard down that day, i have safely passed under that bridge hundreds and hundreds of times.  Yes, hyper vigilance would be a big help. But, like wearing a covid-19 mask all the time, it is hard to maintain hyper vigilance all the time.  I certainly can't live life trying to think "security" every waking second of the day.  Not designed like that.  To coin PJ O'Rouke, "unprotected sex, open heart surgery and divorce is expensive and/or dangerous".  So is cycling in SA

Sorry to hear that, we used to live in the complex on the left hand side at the top end of Belper road, know where you are talking about.