Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

Red Hill has always been very quiet, almost a calm vibe around there. I have always felt safe. As for the rest of Cape Town.... forget about riding before 6:30am alone at the moment.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't cycle alone anywhere.

Very sadly, I am starting to think so too, and I probably did 80% of my cycling on my own.

Indeed very sad, as a newbie, this is my only option because no one else I know rides.

Very sadly, I am starting to think so too, and I probably did 80% of my cycling on my own.

Indeed very sad, as a newbie, this is my only option because no one else I know rides.

Join a group/club ... there's many operating from various areas.

I also enjoy/ed the roads on my own but there's just been too much happening too regularly to chance it any longer.

You can't even chance a 5 min ride to meet up with a group ... you need to drive to the meeting spot. :(

I will be in CT shortly and would like to know if Spaanschemat River Road, Smitswinkel, Red Hill are hot spots?

I live close to Spaanschemat River Road and cycle on it regularly. It is very busy with lots of cyclists. There have been incidents near the American Embasy - close to the informal settlement near Westlake. Some perps were caught a while back, which may have slowed things down.

Just be sensible. Avoid cycling alone when there are no other cyclists around and leave your valuables at home.

Yes man, the last 2 to 3 years have seen me using my roadbike less and less. Rather sad as I quite like it and it is what I know longer than an mtb. One just cannot compare the 2 even though they are both bicycles!

I too do most of my riding alone. What I've learnt is to stick to popular routes like Plumstead to Jubilee, maybe Blackhill to Chappies and back home. Also, I do not leave the house before 7, a lot more cyclist on the road by then. It's the early morning starts that are dangerous, even if you in a group because the group eventually break into smaller groups leaving someone exposed. A club ride would be awesome if they will stick to the slowest person's pace, but not everyone has the patience for that. If there is anyone in the Plumstead area looking for a weekend cycle buddy doing for the scenery and not Strava pbs, give me a shout.

I too do most of my riding alone. What I've learnt is to stick to popular routes like Plumstead to Jubilee, maybe Blackhill to Chappies and back home. Also, I do not leave the house before 7, a lot more cyclist on the road by then. It's the early morning starts that are dangerous, even if you in a group because the group eventually break into smaller groups leaving someone exposed. A club ride would be awesome if they will stick to the slowest person's pace, but not everyone has the patience for that. If there is anyone in the Plumstead area looking for a weekend cycle buddy doing for the scenery and not Strava pbs, give me a shout.

I miss SSC for this. 

I must say that through out this year, I have been riding every second morning at 05:30 from Muizenberg in different directions - to Red Hill, over Ou Kaapse Weg, to the top of Chappies, without incident. Training for the Swartberg Fondo that keeps on been pushed out :).

I keep clear of the American Embassy, Ocean View and only go down hill past the Red Hill settlement.

There was only one morning just past Millers Point where I came around a corner and there were 3 guys who had a totsi look about them up the road. They were just standing there on the side of the road looking at me and I thought "these guys should really not be here at 06:20 on a Tuesday morning, there is no route to any work or settlement here". So I turned and rode home.

Things are bad, but I think one can carve out a route still.