Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a post on Facebook today about a cyclist attacked and stabbed in Wynberg, Cape Towns. There are graphic photos. Stabbed in the leg. Hectic.

Whereabouts in Wynberg?

Possibly a stupid question, but are there MTB areas / trail parks around the Western Cape that are KNOWN SAFE AREAS, where there haven't been reported incidents, and that you guys can suggest for safe(er) riding? 

I have only recently started riding again, and normally ride on my own around Table Mountain / Lions Head, and sometimes in Bottelary conservancy from Hazendal. Would be good to maybe even start a thread of "known safe areas" for newbie MTB riders 

Thanks for the detailed report.

I've always wondered if anyone have managed to use pepperspray successfully and how bad the blowback was. The one attack that I've managed to foil it was quite essential to have two hands solidly planted on the bars to keep control of the bike. It was a very similar attack to yours. I moved into the attacker as soon as he lunged at me and shoulder charged him, bouncing off of him and staying upright even though I came off the saddle and my one foot unclipped. I'm still not sure what the best approach is regarding pepperspray...

I was told by one of these security shops where you can buy security cameras and all. That I need to buy the pepper spray that has a direct stream. The wind won’t affect it as much as the other type of pepper spray.

Luckily I have never had to use it. Found it quite interesting that you get different spray ‘types’.

Possibly a stupid question, but are there MTB areas / trail parks around the Western Cape that are KNOWN SAFE AREAS, where there haven't been reported incidents, and that you guys can suggest for safe(er) riding?

I have only recently started riding again, and normally ride on my own around Table Mountain / Lions Head, and sometimes in Bottelary conservancy from Hazendal. Would be good to maybe even start a thread of "known safe areas" for newbie MTB riders

I ride bottelary a lot. About 4 times per week. It’s my go to loop.

Majority of my week rides are alone. Either in the morning, or early afternoon, around 15:30. Weekends I generally ride with a group.

When going alone in the week. I have never had any issues. I have on occasion come across farm workers, but they have always been friendly, some of the kids would ask for sweets :P

Tokai

Meerendal.?

Tokai

Meerendal.?

Never ridden in Tokai or Meerendal, but have looked at the trails on Trailforks, so will definitely make a plan to ride there next weekend  :thumbup:

Never ridden in Tokai or Meerendal, but have looked at the trails on Trailforks, so will definitely make a plan to ride there next weekend  :thumbup:

I may be wrong on this but I think Meerendal might be closed at the moment (I don't think they opened post Covid lockdown).

If you ride Tokai there is a safety patrol around in case of accident/emergency during busy times and if you have a problem (not a "I have a puncture and don't feel like walking" type of issue) you can contact the person on duty on 087 059 0000.

I may be wrong on this but I think Meerendal might be closed at the moment (I don't think they opened post Covid lockdown).

If you ride Tokai there is a safety patrol around in case of accident/emergency during busy times and if you have a problem (not a "I have a puncture and don't feel like walking" type of issue) you can contact the person on duty on 087 059 0000.

Meerendal is open Tuesday to Sunday. That said, they insist on doing their own trail maintenance ... but there is NO sign of said maintenance .... last winter's ruts are still there .... I have tried it twice since lockdown, both times left early and headed over to the rest of the Tygerberg trails.

Contermanskloof trails are in decent nick. Safe parking. Next stop is Bloemendal, nice, but getting very busy ...

Off course the linking trails are really nice, but only accessible to club members.

Edited by ChrisF

If I ride alone, and because I have a terrible record of crashing, Tokai is the place at the moment (that, and my usual haunt in my backyard just burnt down).

B.t.w. Mark is one of those guardian angels looking after you while you ride in Tokai. You'll hopefully never need his help, but do say hi and wave whenever you see a Tokai MTB bakkie up there and remember that angels come in all kind of shapes and forms, even if they don't look or talk the way you think they should! ;)

Thanks Mark, for the countless hours you spend up there. :thumbup:

Edited by DJR

• 3 weeks later...

About 2 weeks ago 60 yr old cyclist was mugged on the cycle lane near the Paddocks shopping centre but fought back .Got his ph and bike back.On Tues at 6pm a lady was mugged on the Diepriver bridge between Paddocks and Sunset beach.Saw the regular commuter ladies going home at about the time yesterday and also riding alone

Be careful out there