Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

On 5/2/2021 at 1:24 PM, DJR said:

If I ride alone, and because I have a terrible record of crashing, Tokai is the place at the moment (that, and my usual haunt in my backyard just burnt down).

B.t.w. Mark is one of those guardian angels looking after you while you ride in Tokai. You'll hopefully never need his help, but do say hi and wave whenever you see a Tokai MTB bakkie up there and remember that angels come in all kind of shapes and forms, even if they don't look or talk the way you think they should! ;)

Thanks Mark, for the countless hours you spend up there. :thumbup:

MVP he is

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, Bernard Horn said:

About 2 weeks ago 60 yr old cyclist was mugged on the cycle lane near the Paddocks shopping centre but fought back .Got his ph and bike back.On Tues at 6pm a lady was mugged on the Diepriver bridge between Paddocks and Sunset beach.Saw the regular commuter ladies going home at about the time yesterday and also riding alone

Be careful out there

damn, and here I am like thats such a safe route

Got mugged on a pedestrian bridge next to the river in Rondebosch this morning by a dude with a gun. He just took my phone, don't think he saw my watch and fortunately wasn't interested in the bike

It happened here:

image.png.0132ab9fd47ce2846ced725b3b49bbc3.png

Always thought this section was relatively safe, it's like 250m away from the police station and normally has a fair bit of foot traffic. I've even taken the kids riding here.

4 minutes ago, AndrewHemp said:

Got mugged on a pedestrian bridge next to the river in Rondebosch this morning by a dude with a gun. He just took my phone, don't think he saw my watch and fortunately wasn't interested in the bike

It happened here:

Always thought this section was relatively safe, it's like 250m away from the police station and normally has a fair bit of foot traffic. I've even taken the kids riding here.

Did this guy get away on foot ? I usually run through this part of rondebosch and seems to be safe

1 minute ago, CPT MTBer said:

Did this guy get away on foot ? I usually run through this part of rondebosch and seems to be safe

Yeah, he told me to go the other way (back towards riverside center) and walked off towards Newlands stadium, got quite antsy when it took me a while to turn my bike around on the narrow bridge

Yoh another area where you have to be careful.Every Dick,Tom & Harry seem to have guns.Unlicensed of course. M....F...rs

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2021 at 10:53 AM, Reg Lizard said:

Northern suburbs cyclist be alert, I had an attempted robbery/bikejack incident on Waburg road, Joostenbergvlakte yesterday at around 16h40.

I cycle the road alot but is always aware of people walking along the road and pay specific attention to their behavior once they spot me approaching.

Yesterday I spotted 3 people walking along the road towards me, still about 800m ahead. One walking down the centre of the road and the other 2 on the outer edges on both sides. Immediately alarm bells rang as a couple of years ago along Sandringham road next to the railway track, I was involved in an incident where the same thing happened. I immediately prepared myself to be attacked taking out my pepperspray and chosing a comfortable gear to excelerate in.

As I got nearer the one walking in the middle of the road joined the one on the left hand side of the road and they where now walking 2 abreast towards me. The one on the right had outer edge of the road was walking a couple of meters ahead of them, leaving me about a 2 metre gap in between them to pass through. I then new the attacked was going to happen.

About 5 metres from them, the one on the right tried to distract me by waving and greeting me. The next minute one of the two on the left came for me. I then peppersprayed him and the other guy to the left solid while accelerating. In the process I emptied half of the full can of pepperspray I had. Unfortunately due to the windy conditions also got some pepperspray fumes in my face. 300m further after making certain that the attackers were well gone, I had to stop as I could hardly see through my eyes. Fortunately I had a nearly full water bottle and started rinsing my eyes with water- no rubbing. After about 10 minutes I could open my eyes again and rode home and jumped in the pool. Hel the stuff is potent. Burning on my skin continued at least for another hour or so.

But yes, not a hand layed on me during the ordeal for which I would like to thank my Heavenly Farther for His protection.

I gave alot of detail so that should you be unfortunate to go through the same situation, you will be able to recognise the modus operandi of these thuggs and prepare in advance.

And btw just a tip, ride with the pepperspray in your hand and your finger om the trigger because there's no time to take it out once the attack happens.

Be safe out there guys!

Seems the same criminals struck again today. Again 3 males attacked 2 cyclists today on the same road (Waarburgh) using the same method (just with pangas added to the inventory), one of the cyclists is now in hospital recovering with a broken arm, luckily the other cyclist managed to scare them off with a pepper spray gun. This happened at about 11h00 this morning in broad daylight.

May be an image of road

I would advise strongly against riding this road unless you are part of a big group. The road is deceptively close to a squatter camp (its there across the N1 you just don't notice it) and almost no cars. Easy for criminals to wait & ambush cyclists passing through between Klapmuts & Northern suburbs. (Coming from someone who have literally rode this road 100's of times without incident but will avoid in future)

Edited by Skubarra

On 5/26/2021 at 10:30 AM, AndrewHemp said:

It happened here:

WHAT!! I take my kids there all the time. My mechanic stays there and says he has had a few incidents on that back path. :(

16 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Seems the same criminals struck again today. Again 3 males attacked 2 cyclists today on the same road (Waarburgh) using the same method (just with pangas added to the inventory), one of the cyclists is now in hospital recovering with a broken arm, luckily the other cyclist managed to scare them off with a pepper spray gun. This happened at about 11h00 this morning in broad daylight.

May be an image of road

I would advise strongly against riding this road unless you are part of a big group. The road is deceptively close to a squatter camp (its there across the N1 you just don't notice it) and almost no cars. Easy for criminals to wait & ambush cyclists passing through between Klapmuts & Northern suburbs. (Coming from someone who have literally rode this road 100's of times without incident but will avoid in future)

I cycle on most roads, including the streets of the Bloekombos, Kyamandi, Fisantekraal and du Noon communities around my town. Where there are informal settlements, unfortunately, there is no community. Generally, this make all passers-by very vulnerable. Stay safe out there, Peoples.

Edited by 'Dale

5 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

I cycle on most roads, including the streets of the Bloekombos, Kyamandi, Fisantekraal and du Noon communities around my town. Where there are informal settlements, unfortunately, there is no community. Generally, this make all passers-by very vulnerable. Stay safe out there, Peoples.

As I mentioned, I think the problem with this stretch is that one might not be aware of how close you are to the squatter camp as it is a bit hidden away from view behind the N1. Also this road is narrow and quiet so much harder to avoid suspicious people loitering around or at least have the perception of security when there are lots of motorists around.

Sadly I fully suspect more incidents in this area before the word spreads.

17 hours ago, Skubarra said:

May be an image of road

Did they get the bikes? Or was it other things they were wanting? (Watch, phone, money?) 

It seems that the target isn't as much the bikes always, but people ON bikes, which are obviously seen as an easy target. Horrible to say it, but reading this makes me want to ride less, and gym more... As someone who rides alone (MTB), I am increasingly worried about where to ride, and what to take with me when I ride.

Some good advice and suggestions on the site, but it seems like everyone and everywhere is increasingly a risk. 2 weeks ago I had 2 guys come down the side of the mountain/slope near the Kramat around Lions heads. Fortunately I had seen them stand up from behind some bushes when I was still 30-40M away, and as soon as they realised they had been seen, started running towards me. I was able to turn my bike around and speed off downhill. Needless to say, haven't been back there since.... 

Glad these guys are both ok after the incident 

Edited by Mark James

51 minutes ago, Hairy said:

It is the violence of the attack that really worries me.

"pangas"... ????

5 minutes ago, Mark James said:

Did they get the bikes? Or was it other things they were wanting? (Watch, phone, money?) 

It seems that the target isn't as much the bikes always, but people ON bikes, which are obviously seen as an easy target. Horrible to say it, but reading this makes me want to ride less, and gym more... As someone who rides alone (MTB), I am increasingly worried about where to ride, and what to take with me when I ride.

Some good advice and suggestions on the site, but it seems like everyone and everywhere is increasingly a risk. 2 weeks ago I had 2 guys come down the side of the mountain/slope near the Kramat around Lions heads. Fortunately I had seen them stand up from behind some bushes when I was still 30-40M away, and as soon as they realised they had been seen, started running towards me. I was able to turn my bike around and speed off downhill. Needless to say, haven't been back there since.... 

Glad these guys are both ok after the incident 

I used to ride there everyday after work, incl table mountain. 

I feel safest in jonkers, helderberg, tokai, eden, gspot.

3 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

I used to ride there everyday after work, incl table mountain. 

I feel safest in jonkers, helderberg, tokai, eden, gspot.

Hey Eddy

You say you "used to" ride there, is safety and security the reason you don't ride Lions Head / Table mountain anymore? 

Edited by Mark James