Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

23 minutes ago, Mark James said:

2 weeks ago I had 2 guys come down the side of the mountain/slope near the Kramat around Lions heads.

Ugh, I ride around this area a couple of times a week, mostly on my own. I always thought it was relatively safe around here. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Mark James said:

Did they get the bikes? Or was it other things they were wanting? (Watch, phone, money?) 

It seems that the target isn't as much the bikes always, but people ON bikes, which are obviously seen as an easy target. Horrible to say it, but reading this makes me want to ride less, and gym more... As someone who rides alone (MTB), I am increasingly worried about where to ride, and what to take with me when I ride.

Some good advice and suggestions on the site, but it seems like everyone and everywhere is increasingly a risk. 2 weeks ago I had 2 guys come down the side of the mountain/slope near the Kramat around Lions heads. Fortunately I had seen them stand up from behind some bushes when I was still 30-40M away, and as soon as they realised they had been seen, started running towards me. I was able to turn my bike around and speed off downhill. Needless to say, haven't been back there since.... 

Glad these guys are both ok after the incident 

Seems they weren't after the bikes. Grabbed the cellphone and demanded money from the injured rider.

Everytime this thread pops up, a very ugly thing in me starts brewing. As much as I appreciate this thread to keep safe...I hate it equally. 

it seems the anecdote for cyclists will soon go like this: "there are two types of cyclists in SA, ones that have been attacked/mugged/bikejacked....and those that still need to be"

On 5/26/2021 at 10:30 AM, AndrewHemp said:

Got mugged on a pedestrian bridge next to the river in Rondebosch this morning by a dude with a gun. He just took my phone, don't think he saw my watch and fortunately wasn't interested in the bike

It happened here:

image.png.0132ab9fd47ce2846ced725b3b49bbc3.png

Always thought this section was relatively safe, it's like 250m away from the police station and normally has a fair bit of foot traffic. I've even taken the kids riding here.

No man this is only a few hundred meters from my house :( Sorry to hear... Hope you are alright

Edited by Sid the Sloth

So, I have my court date, Monday.

Robbery and attempter murder for running me over with a polo and then stealing the remains of my supersix. 

Flip, I hope they dont want me to identify this dudes wrist tattoo or freckles as I was not really paying that much attention while he rode me over then turned around and tried to run me over again.

7 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Robbery and attempter murder for running me over with a polo and then stealing the remains of my supersix. 

Flip, I hope they dont want me to identify this dudes wrist tattoo or freckles as I was not really paying that much attention while he rode me over then turned around and tried to run me over again.

kudos to you for taking it further sir. GL

19 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Stay strong and don't let it weigh you down too much. Monday is not going to be easy getting face to face with this guy. Try to keep your emotion under control as if you're anything like me I'd want to detonate all over the guy. I had been in court once after someone tried to burgle my business and I was asked to identify the perpetrator. I pointed at him and the prosecutor nearly had a fit. All I wanted to do was to shove his head up his ass. He got 6 years, no parole, as he was released on parole that same day.

28 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

All the best for Mon, go get them !

1 hour ago, Pure Savage said:

All the best man. I hope for a positive outcome.

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Stay strong and don't let it weigh you down too much. Monday is not going to be easy getting face to face with this guy. Try to keep your emotion under control as if you're anything like me I'd want to detonate all over the guy. I had been in court once after someone tried to burgle my business and I was asked to identify the perpetrator. I pointed at him and the prosecutor nearly had a fit. All I wanted to do was to shove his head up his ass. He got 6 years, no parole, as he was released on parole that same day.

I honestly dont know what to expect. Have a lot going on. Anxious.

Just now, Pure Savage said:

Pitch up in your cycling kit .......... so that the chop may just recognise you :P

Best wishes Savage, just take it bit by bit and you have nothing to be anxious about, you are the victim. 

49 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Strongs man you've got this ????

2 hours ago, Pure Savage said:

best of luck man !! glad you are still here ! 

1 hour ago, Pure Savage said:

Ja, its not like the movies. It will be a long and drawn out day that chews at the threads of your emotion as you try to maintain yourself. You will be witness to the dregs of society that day and what impact they have on the rest of us. I don't want to paint a bleak picture, but steel yourself over the weekend and focus on the good things. Appreciate the fact that you can love on your wife and kid(s) and that you have an entire community here on the hub supporting you in absentia on Monday. We will all be carrying you in our thoughts and prayers until this thing is behind you.

11 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Ja, its not like the movies. It will be a long and drawn out day that chews at the threads of your emotion as you try to maintain yourself. You will be witness to the dregs of society that day and what impact they have on the rest of us. I don't want to paint a bleak picture, but steel yourself over the weekend and focus on the good things. Appreciate the fact that you can love on your wife and kid(s) and that you have an entire community here on the hub supporting you in absentia on Monday. We will all be carrying you in our thoughts and prayers until this thing is behind you.

Means a lot, appreciate it.