Evan Andreou

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, DJuice said:

Coming down to Cape Town for few days.

No bike unfortunately, but will be bringing my tekkies.

Been a slog the last three months so I do not want to miss my early morning runs.

Is it safe to run alone at around 5am in the Rondebosch area?

I know this is going to be the topic of our discussion on the 9 hour drive... and would like to call on the Hub wisdom as a matter of fact!

id think rondebosch commons etc would be fine. but as with anything....right place wrong time type applies. it's the same anywhere. It just takes a guy to wake up that morning and decide he's going to do something and find you on his path by default. 

3 hours ago, MORNE said:

id think rondebosch commons etc would be fine. but as with anything....right place wrong time type applies. it's the same anywhere. It just takes a guy to wake up that morning and decide he's going to do something and find you on his path by default. 

5 hours ago, DJuice said:

Coming down to Cape Town for few days.

No bike unfortunately, but will be bringing my tekkies.

Been a slog the last three months so I do not want to miss my early morning runs.

Is it safe to run alone at around 5am in the Rondebosch area?

I know this is going to be the topic of our discussion on the 9 hour drive... and would like to call on the Hub wisdom as a matter of fact!

I live next to the common and at 5.00 am there are already a few people out and about so you wont be alone. I wouldn't run through the subways. Try and stick to Campground road and the suburban streets.

40 minutes ago, splat said:

Does anyone have any details about the hijacking in Woodstock yesterday morning ?

Like what time and where exactly?

https://bikehub.co.za/stolen-bikes/1779/cannondale-scalpel-si-world-cup-2020-scalpel-worldcup-size-medium-2020

well if it's where the pin is thats basically where alot of people come down from walmer estate/district six and head down to woodstock cycle lane. i've done it once or twice but wont ever again. Especially early morning/late afternoon.

And seems extra worrying that it was a gun-jacking; I have been run-jacked for my cellphone 12 months back, perp used a long screwdriver sharpened to a shiny point, which is bad enough, but a gun seems like a whole new level, somehow.

will avoid that area. And Ocean View. 
Chris

On 8/6/2021 at 10:33 AM, MORNE said:

At 5am currently still very dark.. In my opinion NOT. Lots of opportunists that time out and about looking for a target. 

8 hours ago, X-Man said:

At 5am currently still very dark.. In my opinion NOT. Lots of opportunists that time out and about looking for a target. 

Was able to due 3 early morning runs. Got lost the first day, my fault, no sense of direction and a 10km became a 16km.

The rain cancelled out the other days.

Over the weekend the roads were quite, only cyclist on my way back. Tuesday, busy with many runners.

Did not feel unsafe, but did not enjoy the runs due to the unknown surrounds.

Keep safe and enjoy your cycling!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

Anyone know anything more about this?

858332e4-bf76-43cf-9d8a-339f143a0804.jpeg

What I fail to understand is how anyone still thinks cycling past Kayamandi is a viable proposition? This is not the first time this has happened, and it sadly won't be the last time either. Whether in groups or solo, riding that road just makes no sense.

2 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

What I fail to understand is how anyone still thinks cycling past Kayamandi is a viable proposition? This is not the first time this has happened, and it sadly won't be the last time either. Whether in groups or solo, riding that road just makes no sense.

How do I get North of Stellenbosch? Statistically Cloetesville and Kayamandi are a risk toss-up.

12 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

How do I get North of Stellenbosch? Statistically Cloetesville and Kayamandi are a risk toss-up.

That's how. It's actually also a nicer route to ride. Hope the fellow cyclist is okay. Not everybody is on the hub or away or what's a hotspot and what isn't. I cycled passed Kayamandi a few times on my own until my mates showed me that detour, never really though twice about it as it is just outside stellies, but I actually like that detour better anyways !

nokayamandi.JPG

Edited by Jbr

Yeah, that is the route that I was referring to as a risk toss-up with the R304. The R44 past Cloetesville has also had multiple incidents over the years.

48 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

36 minutes ago, Jbr said:

That's how. It's actually also a nicer route to ride. Hope the fellow cyclist is okay. Not everybody is on the hub or away or what's a hotspot and what isn't. I cycled passed Kayamandi a few times on my own until my mates showed me that detour, never really though twice about it as it is just outside stellies, but I actually like that detour better anyways !

33 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Yeah, that is the route that I was referring to as a risk toss-up with the R304. The R44 past Cloetesville has also had multiple incidents over the years.

There's no real safe proposition sadly (that I'm aware of anyway). Either route is troublesome and there have been too many instances on both routes over the years. I used to use JBR's route when heading to Hellshoogte (which itself is high risk) and this is partly the reason I now only ride MTB on trails and no longer on roads. Sad, but it has become abundantly clear that there is no political will to resolve the status quo.

15 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

There's no real safe proposition sadly (that I'm aware of anyway). Either route is troublesome and there have been too many instances on both routes over the years. I used to use JBR's route when heading to Hellshoogte (which itself is high risk) and this is partly the reason I now only ride MTB on trails and no longer on roads. Sad, but it has become abundantly clear that there is no political will to resolve the status quo.

Are you referring to old Helshoogte pass as being unsafe, or the main road? The former is such a beautiful meander to ride amongst the dense trees and absence of cars. Do you know of specific incidents that have happened there? 

32 minutes ago, KirJOL said:

Are you referring to old Helshoogte pass as being unsafe, or the main road? The former is such a beautiful meander to ride amongst the dense trees and absence of cars. Do you know of specific incidents that have happened there? 

Both. 

The old:

https://www.pressreader.com/south-africa/cape-times/20180116/281479276822229

The new:

https://www.iol.co.za/capeargus/news/concern-over-violent-attacks-on-cape-town-cyclists-bd788c3f-1d23-4106-b04f-a231361de6de

Edited by Robbie Stewart