Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

19 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

and that Bridge will soon be a construction site....

interesting...care to share? Are CoCT finally pulling finger and fixing that miserable excuse of a road?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Jbr said:

yeah I took a few more chances but have to say that now I'd use the bridge by the Makro rather than Malibongwe to durbanville, which I don't even do that often anymore because no matter which road you use, going from table view/milnerton to durbanville is dodgy AF...

I found a lekker route last year, which was the one I was on when I extended down Vissershok from Meerendal and ended up feeling like game in the gunsights riding past DuNoon...I digress.

Eden on the Bay down to Paddocks, where I turn left into Milnerton Ridge and loop around to Koeberg by the Traffic department, where I go to Makro and then up Plattekloof all the way to Uys Krige along the N1. Left into Jip de Jager and up to Protea Hotel Durbanville where the world is your oyster and you can effectively ride in any of many directions. I must say though that the first time I rode that route was in the reverse order and coming to the crest of Uys Krige by the trees lining the N1 there were two cars parked on the side, with gents being "entertained" by ladies of ill repute. "Wees waaksaam" is my dad always says...????

34 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

interesting...care to share? Are CoCT finally pulling finger and fixing that miserable excuse of a road?

Pretty sure I saw a notice up on the Bridge that stated they would be widening the Bridge beginning end of 2021

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

Pretty sure I saw a notice up on the Bridge that stated they would be widening the Bridge beginning end of 2021

about time they do that. It would be great to improve the traffic on that bridge.

15 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

about time they do that. It would be great to improve the traffic on that bridge.

I'll check in with the folks at the office. All businesses in the area would have been notified

On 5/26/2021 at 10:30 AM, AndrewHemp said:

Got mugged on a pedestrian bridge next to the river in Rondebosch this morning by a dude with a gun. He just took my phone, don't think he saw my watch and fortunately wasn't interested in the bike

It happened here:

image.png.0132ab9fd47ce2846ced725b3b49bbc3.png

Always thought this section was relatively safe, it's like 250m away from the police station and normally has a fair bit of foot traffic. I've even taken the kids riding here.

I got mugged on that bridge too, but it must have been about 10 years ago now. There were two guys. They asked for my phone and the money in my wallet, but when I took my phone out they agreed with my description of it as “a piece of ****” and declined to take it. Thankfully they didn’t ask for my bike. They didn’t produce a firearm, but said they had one. They said they were just out of prison and needing money to get started with a new life.

2 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I found a lekker route last year, which was the one I was on when I extended down Vissershok from Meerendal and ended up feeling like game in the gunsights riding past DuNoon...I digress.

Eden on the Bay down to Paddocks, where I turn left into Milnerton Ridge and loop around to Koeberg by the Traffic department, where I go to Makro and then up Plattekloof all the way to Uys Krige along the N1. Left into Jip de Jager and up to Protea Hotel Durbanville where the world is your oyster and you can effectively ride in any of many directions. I must say though that the first time I rode that route was in the reverse order and coming to the crest of Uys Krige by the trees lining the N1 there were two cars parked on the side, with gents being "entertained" by ladies of ill repute. "Wees waaksaam" is my dad always says...????

That would be the old "Lovers Lane" ?image.png.f836d245fa4cea9268295cd48ba73369.png

46 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

yep, that's the spot...and now I know why it has that name. 

I used to cycle that route often from Bellville to Table View when I worked at a LBS after leaving school.......a lot has changed on that road, but not everything it would seem.

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

.......a lot has changed on that road, but not everything it would seem.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.! ????

20 hours ago, Hairy said:

I used to cycle that route often from Bellville to Table View when I worked at a LBS after leaving school.......a lot has changed on that road, but not everything it would seem.

i still ride it every now and then when im bord with the hills in welgemoed. i then ride to hospital and turn around. id advise to be careful on it later in the day or early morning because there are quite a few vagrants living against the fence on the n1 side right there going downhill just past ‘lovers lane’ - which is more like car bar drive-in valley these days haha

Edited by MORNE

Got this message on some of my groups yesterday - some of you will know Eugene of Cycle-Inn in Burgundy Estate. He was mugged and his bike taken yesterday next to Big Barrel pub on the way to Durbanville Hills. The area seems to have quickly become a hotspot over weekends ????

His report of the incident:

"So after a crazy day,i want to share my incident
Hopefully that some might bennefit frm it
So i was traveling up tygervalley rd past richwood
A friend was cycling with me
as we passd the big barrel pub
I noticed two black guys in yellow lane walking towards us
I then askd my friend to come to the right side of me and that we should ride mre in the rd 
at abt 150 mm then went frm yellow lane into rd
just as we adjusted our potition they start running
I shouted at my friend to make a u turn
Unfornately she collided with me
we both fell
In the result she broke her pelvis 
The one grabbed her bike and fled
the other man came for me and tried to stab me multiple times
the rd was wet
It was hard for me to get up as my feet kept slipping as my carbon shoes kept loosing grip
this man was out to harm me
I manage to get up
and which point he then took my bike and fled
my friend was screaming of the mental and physical trauma
I count my blessings to be alive
people i believe that my vigelance and awareness helped me today
Be safe out there.
I dont wish this on any one"

image.png.58754e70c0123faa5c5db00a9cf903b6.png

On 6/21/2021 at 4:22 PM, Hairy said:

It is the violence of the attack that really worries me.

Exactly this!!!

Horrified reading all of these incidents.

I lived in Milnerton until August 2020 and cycled ALL of these roads frequently alone to the start of the trails.

I never really anticipated that the rot would extend as far as Klein Roosboom/Durbanville Hills side.