Joburg danger areas

Evan Andreou

I'm new to MTB and have been riding the spruit solo for the last 3 months, absolutely loving it. I am ok with the risk of a bike jacking... although obviously not thrilled by the prospect.

However, I live with my girlfriend and would love to take her on some rides with me. The idea of something far worse happening with her is obviously horrific, and have only ever seen one woman riding with her partner on this trail so thinking maybe it is not a great idea?

I'm thinking a short 10KM round trip ride from our place (Ballyclare) down to KNEAD restaurant (Bryanston Drive) for a breakfast on Saturday or Sunday morning, or even from our place to parkhurst which is a bit longer (about 20KM round trip).

Having said all this, I have seen couples walking these areas in the early evenings, and even mom and daughter pairs - in fairness with large dogs...

Trying to gauge the viability and risk of this. Are there any precautions we could take apart from being aware etc? Will a big can of mace do the trick? I'm not a gun guy and probably wouldn't back myself with a knife or anything against a group of armed guys... 

Or is this just a risky idea in general? 

Either section is generally fine... The stretch to Parkhurst from Ballyclare takes you past 'Gangsters Paradise' (behind PnP on Nicol/DHL). That said, I've never had issues there (or anywhere on the Spruit, to be honest).

I'd be inclined to shoot up to Riverside, and would probably pick a Saturday. That area is generally very busy and there are a lot of people about from 07:30ish to 09:30ish for the Parkrun (which heads north from Riverside towards Cowley). If you want a spot at Knead before the runners descend, get there before 08:30, ideally at 8 (although I'm not sure when they open)...

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ride with my wife from alberts farm to fratellis and back, no issues and lots of ladies along the way........

• 1 month later...

There was an attack on the Spruit today too.

⚠ *Please be on the lookout*

A suspect armed with a knife and possibly a gun was involved in 2 armed robberies in the Victory Park section of the spruit today (last incident 40 mins ago)

*The robber wore Grey tracksuits pants. DA t-shirt.*
Short.
Armed with a knife and claimed to have a gun. He's on foot.

Suspect seems to have disappeared in spruit area & is possibly looking for further opportunities.

From Linden CPF

A suspect armed with a knife and possibly a gun was involved in 2 armed robberies in the Victory Park section of the spruit today (last incident 40 mins ago)

Short.

Suspect seems to have disappeared in spruit area & is possibly looking for further opportunities.

From Linden CPF

Not good - any more details of area ?

Not good - any more details of area ?

Sorry no.  I have just reposted from the Cyclist attacked in PE thread as this is relevant to the JHB area.

Short.

From Linden CPF

Thanks v much for this notice.  

I've been avoiding the Spruit due to feeling unsafe for the first time in years.

Just too many dodgy people about and not enough bikers north of Fratelli's.  

I am in the process of moving and thought the Spruit will do for weekday morning rides. I mostly ride alone. What is the consensus regarding safety on the Spruit at the moment? Specific areas to avoid?

A few weekends ago I attempted for the 1st time that big rock at the bottom of Victory Park on the Spruit. It was quite overgrown and at the top of the rock hidden from view were 2 "young men" smoking it up. I found it a bit weird and in case of any danger I chatted to them and talked my way out of either A) a situation with 2 dodge characters sitting in the bushes but why? or B) a potential ambush attack.

At that point on that rock you either go over the rock which I actually then did just to get away from them after our little chat. Or to turn around means getting off the bike- so in essence a real good ambush spot. Pity... as for me the Spruit has always been safe I've only heard of incidents around Emmarentia by the tall treed area. When chatting to the one guy he said he is a MTBer so I asked where is your bike and he said at home hmm.. they then asked me where is my cellphone... and I said at home. 

Edited by scubes

• 2 months later...

I am in the process of moving and thought the Spruit will do for weekday morning rides. I mostly ride alone. What is the consensus regarding safety on the Spruit at the moment? Specific areas to avoid?

Bit late to this but have you done any weekday morning rides along the spruit yet? I'm thinking of commuting between delta park and the field and study and was just wondering how you have found the spruit in the morning? 

Bit late to this but have you done any weekday morning rides along the spruit yet? I'm thinking of commuting between delta park and the field and study and was just wondering how you have found the spruit in the morning? 

try google maps

• 1 month later...

(I'm hoping the following was a one-off incident, but would rather try and be proactive, just-in-case...)

Cradle Cycle Route, JHB. Beyers Naude Dr, Sat 30 Sept +/-0900.

Was cycling with a mate, in the cycling lane, south-bound opposite Cradle Moon Conservancy, when a taxi drew level with us, hooted and cut-in behind us. Not really a problem as there's an informal pick-up spot near there.

400m later, same deal, he draws level, sounds his horn and this time he cuts directly in front of us and stops abruptly. I had to take avoiding action left on to the gravel; my mate made it round the RH side of the taxi. Neither of us hurt, nor our bikes. 

I had a discussion with the driver, who's only response was repeatedly "What are you going to do about it?" at which point he reversed back along the cycle lane for 200m and stopped. There were no passengers being picked up or dropped off during the latter event (I can't comment on the former one).

As I'm wholly unaware of any road-rage stimulation which we might have initiated, I can only think he wanted to scare, or skittle us for the hell of it.

Be safe out there. 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys - watch out the Riversands area. There was an incident yesterday. Two guys got mugged at gunpoint. If it wasn't for a group of ladies on horseback that charged towards the 4 perps it could have been ugly. Fortunately they only got away with a tool bag. One of the cyclists got hit on the head but nothing serious. At least he managed to keep his one day old Cannondale!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys - watch out the Riversands area. There was an incident yesterday. Two guys got mugged at gunpoint. If it wasn't for a group of ladies on horseback that charged towards the 4 perps it could have been ugly. Fortunately they only got away with a tool bag. One of the cyclists got hit on the head but nothing serious. At least he managed to keep his one day old Cannondale!

Hi All, I am the guy with the new Cannondale they smashed on the head. Subsequent to the attack I have heard of multiple attacks in the Riversands area with 1 stabbing. It seems to be the same perps or group, a week ago a lone cyclist was jacked by 2 guys matching the description out towards Summit road. Avoid the area unless in very large groups!

• 9 months later...

Hi Guys,

Shew, yesterday our club rode through Tarlton in the West Rand.  We normally use Ontdekkers & go out to the Cradle either Kugersdorp Hill or Sterkfontein but due to needing extra mileage, we decided to go pass Tarlton and to the Maropeng Turn (Berge en Dale route)

The road was covered in rocks, burnt tyres, cars etc and by the time we decided to turn around, we were in the middle of a whole bunch of angry children/ teenagers with huge stones & rocks ready to throw at us. Lucky, we had 2 members who spoke to them and tried to calm them down as we tried to get through the debris and make it to the Maropeng turn. As our last rider got through, a stone was thrown but if it started earlier, who knows what would've happened?

From my club member:

"Today we rode on the R24 between Krugersdorp and Magalies. About 10 km from the Krugersdorp Game reserve, the route goes through a squatter camp and there was a protest with road closure. Kids who are around 10 years old had picked up stones and were ready to throw them at us as we were passing through the area.

I do not know why the people decided to close the road.
I do not know why they were protesting.
I really don’t know what the issues were.

I thought to myself, in 10 years time if these people’s issues are not resolved they will also teach those who come after them that this is the way of resolving problems. So the cycle continues.

I can make assumptions of what the issues are and I am sure my assumptions would be pretty much close to what the issues are. To avoid long debates with my friends who are politicians I will assume a reckless driver was speeding through the area and he hit someone’s chicken in a hit and run.

What a sad day!!"

This is why Wilro Cycle Race was cancelled if I'm not mistaken. No police warning signs or anything to warn us of what was ahead!

Edited by AryM

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

www.cyclesafe.co.za

This product is the birth child of exactly what this forum chats about. We face the reality that we may be mugged while out riding. Unfortunately the pepper spray in my back pocket wasn't accessible to me at the time I needed it. That is where this product came from. 

Would love to know what you all think. 

post-140451-0-62431200-1559810086_thumb.png